*Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PGH87

*Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Postby PGH87 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm planning to move from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia soon.
I'm in a small 1 bedroom.

so far someone recomended ABF, but still searching.

how "on time" do the movers usually arrive and what is the usual time i need to make an appointment b4 the actual move?

any advice would be appreciated.

btw, since i don't have a car, i was planning to book a late afternoon flight at that day. Do movers let you ride with them in the front or back?

thanx again for any help

Michael

Diane

Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Try calling this company for a start:
--Stinelli Bros. Moving & Storage (Arpin) in No. Huntingdon.
This company has the phone 724-864-4353. It was recommended by "jengsa" in 4/08, who said they frequently go to NY State and back:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 284#107284

Also look at the Superlist linked to below my name (top of page 5).

Movers aren't supposed to let you ride in the cab of their trucks, but that's not to say it hasn't happened at times. I'm sure you're not supposed to ride in the trailer part with the furniture, though. :lol:
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Intra-Pennsylvania moves are a little tricker than most. I believe that service can only be arranged with a mover based in either the county that you are moving from or the county that you are moving to. Since you don't have much, plan on the trip taking several days to allow the company to consolidate shipments. If your pushed for a quicker delivery, you might inquire about expedited service where you pay for more weight than you actually have. It can get expensive.

DOT licensing and insurance regulations prohibit anyone not connected with the moving company from riding in the truck.

Since you don't have much, you could save a lot of money and transportation expense by just renting a truck and doing it yourself.

PGH87

Postby PGH87 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:35 pm

thanx for the quick advice ^^

i guess the shipment arriving a day or two later isn't a big deal with me since i'm moving into a friend's apt.
but due to certain "circumstances" I unable to drive right now.

plus, i was hoping to save costs by packing myself, but i will need the services of ppl to help me move my stuff to and from the truck.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm

I suggest contacting Parks Van & Storage or South Hills Movers. Both have good reputations and, most likely, have moving vans going back and forth between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia so, depending on your flexibility in regard to dates, they may be able to service your move as a partial shipmernt in conjunction with another load.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 pm

I agree with Chaz - Parks (United) can service you on both ends, and they have a good reputation. I work for PNC Bank and PNC uses them for interstate moves. I can attest to their service as they picked my belongings that I had stored at a NAVL agent's warehouse in Ayer, MA (2000) as my house was being built. I was extremely impressed by service and the attention to detail.

Note - I have never had a bad experience moving - Thanks to United and North American.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm

There are plenty of great moving companies in Pittsburgh and only a few poor ones. Check the superlist and the BBB for any movers you are considering.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Also, intrastate moves are on a different tariff (priced different) than an interstate move. Personally, I would get 3 estimates on an interstate move, and at least 3-5 on an intrastate move by reputable companies. Some companies have exception rates for intrastate moves and may be able to give you lower rates.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Household goods movers operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission and must maintain adequate levels of insurance coverage and charge fees approved by the PUC.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.puc.state.pa.us/transport/mo ... _info.aspx

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/onli ... ippers.pdf

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:11 pm

The mover does not have to be based in the county you are moving to or from but must have operating authority which would, in this case, allow the mover to do a move from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. Some authorities are by county and others are based on a radius or mileage. Most rates are filed under the Tristate Tariff Bureau; however, some movers have taken an exception and their transportation, packing, or other rates could be less than another company. You are talking a move of over 200 miles for a small one bedroom apartment. Therefore, I don't think you are going to find much difference in the prices quoted other than whether a company quotes doing your move by itself or is able to combine it with another move. If done by itself, you will probably find you are quoted a minimum charge based on expedited service or space reservation. If you can find someone to combine it with another shipment, they may move you on actual weight or a lower minimum. However, it is my understanding that intrastate shipments cannot be combined with interstate shipments, so you'll need to find a company with another load going to or coming from the Philadelphia area. Also, make sure the mover you choose as Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission granted Household Goods Operating authority for, as I mentioned earlier, the area you are moving from or to. They are required to give you a written estimate on a form with Estimated Cost of Services across the top. The letters must measure 1/2 inch in height. The regulations in PA are tough. Also, they are required to give you an Information for Shippers form at least 48 hours before the move. Carrier's Liability in PA is $.60 per pound per article. Additional valuation can be purchased at an additional charge. Unlike most interstate tariffs, long carries, stair, and elevators are still an extra charge. PA also has a fuel surcharge which for the distance you are moving will be around $300.00. The fuel surcharge is based on mileage only. The size or weight of the shipment is not a factor. Hopefully, you find all of this information helpful. Depending where in Pittsburgh you are moving from and where in Philadelphia you are moving to, shuttle charges may apply. Not all of the streets, in either city, are moving van friendly. Both cities have some areas where you cannot even get to the residence with a 24' straight truck. Good luck finding a mover.

condo driver

Re: *Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Postby condo driver » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Also check Pennsylvania Moving and Storage Associates website

PGH87

Postby PGH87 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am

thanx for the help

i've checked out some guys, Stinelli Bros. Moving & Storage , Parks Van & Storage, Ryan Moving & Storage and few other places) got some estimates.
it seems they range from 2000-2500 or so.

ABF gave me about 750 and broadway gave me about 1200. of course this was b4 paying the driver or extra helpers.

i've got a few more guys coming to see my apt to give me an estimate today and tomorrow, but from the initial price range i've seen, i think i might have to go with ABF or Broadway.

btw, where's the best place to easily get cheap packing material? (boxes, bubble wrap etc)

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Well, if you did decide to go with a full service mover, most will offer free used moving boxes based on availability. Otherwise, I do not know where the best place would be, somebody with more expertise in that area will be along shortly, I'm sure.

PGH87

Postby PGH87 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:18 am

the bigger companies gave me an estimate around $1800+.
plus, places like Park moving told me they use big trailers, so it'd be another 200+200 or so for the extended transfer by smaller vans/trucks etc.
ABF told me aruond 770 and broadway was 1200.
most ppl were pretty friendly, but i'd have to say Todd Daily from Broadway was especially friendly and helpful.

In the end I'll probably decide to go with Stinelli Bros. Their esitmate was $1285.
price was the biggest factor for me, so i was first leaning toward ABF or Broadway, but i will be needing t hire helpers or pay the drivers to help anyways, which i gathered was about 150-200 each side, Stinelli Bros seemed like a good choice.
I am a lil nervous their price seems so low compared to Park moving or Ryan Moving etc.

I will try to follow up on how my move goes in here.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 am

Just remember, intra state moves in PA are NOT binding. You want to look at rates, first and foremost, as opposed to price. Your shipment will weigh the same amount whether you move with one company or another. List the weights and the prices given and I can break it down for you. Another thing, show any additional charges, such as bulky articles, long carries, stairs, elevators, etc.

Return to “Open Community”