Moving from NorCal to south Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
elric13

Moving from NorCal to south Florida

Postby elric13 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm moving on the 1st from Davis (near Sacramento) to Ft. Lauderdale area (Tamarac). First quote was from Colonial Van & Storage out of Sacramento repping Allied and the other was from Quality Moving Service out of Vacaville repping Wheaton. CVS gave me a non-binding est. of $5554 based on 7000 lbs (claimed 67% discount) and QMS gave me "I promise it won't cost more than this" estimate of $6992 based on 6600 lbs (claimed 61% discount). QMS guy said CVS guy screwed up his discount, saying it was closer to 75%.
So my obvious questions are two-fold: are these companies reputable and are the quoted costs reasonable? Is the QMS guy correct about the CVS guy screwing up?
This is the first move in my life using a moving company, I've always U-Hauled myself in the past but this being a coast-to-coast move plus the fact I'm getting too old for this drive-myself shite, I figured I'd go with a "pro." But I just came across this website and now I'm scared to death to trust any of them! :shock: And with the move happening on the 1st, I'm about out of time to decide which way to jump. Any help/hand-holding would be really appreciated! :D

chaz4moving

Re: Moving from NorCal to south Florida

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm assuming the CVS guy gave you a printout of the charges. Is it showing a discount of 67%? I can only assume it is correct. If you can post the estimate on this website, some of us will be able to determine if it's legit. Or, if you prefer, send it to me as a PM (private message). Are you sure about what you are taking and what you are leaving behind? If so, you might want to ask the guy from CVS for a Guaranteed Price. It's my opinion that will work out to be a better price for you than a "not-to-exceed" quote. Others will disagree; however, some van lines allow their agents a bit more leeway with "flat" Guaranteed Pricing. I believe that will be the case in your situation. As of January 1st, every van line and moving company which has its own authority, now file their own individual tariff. A 67% discount with one van line could be a higher discount if the shipment is rated using another van lines' tariff. Since they are all separate filings, you can no longer be sure that you are comparing apples with apples.
Last edited by chaz4moving on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Ask them both for a Binding not to exceed or Guaranteed not to exceed estimates and then you can compare apples to oranges. Do either of these include packing and/or valuation?

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:00 pm

I would get one more estimate from City or Chipman in Sacramento as a buffer. As was stated all carriers now have their own tariff and it is hard to tell what the discount is from the competing carrier and the salesman should have known this. I was an Allied driver for many years and I am not going to say that Colonial will not give you a good move but I would check out and see if they have any complaints. It was several years ago that I did business with them and do not want to paint them in a bad light without proof for everyone can change. The third estimate is not because of my statement but three is a good number in which to assess the estimates you have.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:06 am

You can no longer compare apples to apples. Each van line has a different tariff and pricing structure, and is different from 400N.

For instance, you speak of a 67% discount. You couldn't compare that with a Unigroup estimate, because the Unigroup maximum guideline discount is 22%. So you'd need to know 67% of what base, and 22% of what base.

Usually when a van line gives the agents a little latitude, if it goes over a certain point, the agent forfeits part of their booking commission, which goes to the hauler.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

elric13

Postby elric13 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Not sure how to show pics here, so here's a link to the estimates:
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/elric69/contracts/

Also, just contacted Chipman, per recommendation, hopefully I can get them out tomorrow for a 3rd estimate.

And as another FYI, I'm packing myself, so that's not an issue related to the estimates (other than my bed).

Travis

Postby Travis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Just here say...but... Chipmans would be a good safe bet... With the recent Allied/Sirva mess, I'd stray away from them for the time being. You do happen to be between 2 very large Chipman agencies, with their hauling head quarters out of Fairfield and their second largest office in Sacramento. I know this because I have lost some business to them in that particular area, so I looked them up....

Oh well... Just my thoughts...
"Getting the job done with a smile"

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Travis, the "mess" that Sirva is experiencing is not going to affect or effect the service an agent give to its customers. Chipmans is good actually very good as is City in Sacramento. Thing is going to Fla. unless the shipment is a large one it might be put into the system for hauling.

Travis

Postby Travis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:18 pm

your right... it does put a dampire on their moral... so i retract the statement... i just hate dealing with companies that have bad press out...
7000 lbs, right now with the housing market... anyone will req. to self haul... whether or not they allow... ::shrugs shoulders:: no matter what, the top drivers in House Hold Goods are starving for work, no matter where you go....
"Getting the job done with a smile"

elric13

Postby elric13 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 pm

joesgarage39 wrote:Travis, the "mess" that Sirva is experiencing is not going to affect or effect the service an agent give to its customers. Chipmans is good actually very good as is City in Sacramento. Thing is going to Fla. unless the shipment is a large one it might be put into the system for hauling.

Please define further "put into the system for hauling"? This doesn't sound like a good thing.

Chipman will be here at 9AM to do estimate. Crap, at this point, do I just take the offer and run?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:43 pm

That just means that another agent within the van line would be the agent that actually hauled your shipment. Nothing to sweat there. On the other hand, Chipman is very good.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Since you are wanting to move next week, you do need to make a decision soon. See what the salesperson tomorrow has to say and go from there. Have you spoken with your first estimator from CVS about giving you a Guaranteed Price. My only problem with second person from QMS is that he was bad mouthing the guy from CVS. I always felt being negative about your competition made the person doing the talking look bad. And the fact that you talked about the competition gave them credibility. Personally, I've always felt a good salesperson accents the positive things about their company or van lines and keeps theire mouth shut regarding the competition. If the person from Chipment presents themselves and their company well and the price is competitive with a guarantee, you may want to go with them. I believe your comfort level with the sales rep is an important factor to consider in selecting the mover.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 pm

I didnt mean to startle you about the hauling. No agent can haul all they book so many will give what they cannot haul on their own trucks to the van lines to haul. The van lines will chose a truck in your area that is loaded that way to facilitate your move. It is within the system and all will be good, there is nothing to worry about.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:37 am

I worked for Chipman in the Concord office, and know both dispatchers, so you can pretty much count of them to do a self haul.

rydog you're right that no agent can haul all of their shipments, but agents can run shipments on their own authority if they don't wish to put it into open tonnage.

Some Unigroup agents, if they chose to split from the parent company, could instantly be larger than some smaller van lines.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

promover2

Postby promover2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Let me just rebut the somewhat defamatory comments made by Travis about Sirva regarding this customer's Allied Van Lines estimate for a move from California to Florida. Why would a pre-packaged bankruptcy (aka debt reorganization) have anything to do with a move from California to Florida. That is the most ridiculous and idiotic thing I have ever heard!

Does anyone think that the government would do business with the Sirva companies if they were in financial ruins? Frankly, they're debt free and in better shape than most van lines now. Under Travis' theory, we shouldn't fly anywhere and take all of our money out of our bank accounts because the airlines and banks are all filing bankruptcy too! Wow...I have to get up off the floor now.

Return to “Open Community”