Best Move NW

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nikkihamburger

Best Move NW

Postby nikkihamburger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:47 am

Has anyone used this company? I am looking to move across the country (washington to New England). I know it's a part of steven's worldwide vanlines. I've never used a moving company before. I have only moved myself. But aaa has a discount with this company so I figured I would have them come give me an estimate but before I do that I wanted to see if I could get any reviews on this company. Thanks for any help that you are able to provide.

Rick

Re: Best Move NW

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:27 am

If they're a Stevens agent, they're a new addition because they aren't listed at Stevens' corporate site. The Washington SOS doesn't have a record of a company by that name.

Although it doesn't show in their listings, most major van lines honor AAA discount provisions.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 am

I'm having trouble locating this company. Can you list a website, phone number, address or license?

nikkihamburger

Postby nikkihamburger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am

the only thing I have is an email from a consaltant. BESTMOVENW@aol.com. Her name is Donna Nelson. I don't know if that helps at all. I may have gotten a phone number originally but don't have the orignal email. I had gotten the email after I registered on the stevens website :http://www.stevensworldwide.com/. I hope that is helpful for you.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 pm

The email address belongs to:

Northwest Moving Services, Inc
1261 Bouslog Road
Burlington , WA 98233
Phone: 360/757-3000
Toll-Free: 800/327-6741
Fax: 360/757-2437
Email: bestmovenw@aol.com

They have a satisfactory BBB rating with no complaints. Northwest is a smaller agent and has no long distance hauling capacity. Your shipment would be handled within the Stevens fleet.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Try Air Van (North American), or Bekins Northwest (Atlas). It is wise to get three estimates, and I think these two companies might be more competitive on service and price. Not sure exactly were you are in Washington, but these two companies have several locations in the state.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 04, 2008 12:11 am

Rick wrote:Although it doesn't show in their listings, most major van lines honor AAA discount provisions.

I never knew this before, Rick. Are you sure? How would a customer ask for this discount?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun May 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Ask the salesperson. If they say they don't (or don't know), ask what other affinity type pricing programs their company or van line offers their customers. Some movers have tariff discount provisions for being old (Atlas and Wheaton), educated (Allied, Atlas, Graebel, Mayflower, National, North American, Stevens, United, Wheaton), blue collar (Allied, North American, United), and white collar (all of the above).

Under the new, deregulated tariff pricing structure, any mover any where can offer "preferred" pricing to any customer as long as it’s included in their tariff (i.e. we will reduce the linehaul transportation cost and related accessorial service charges by 3% to any individual who is breathing and/or agrees to pay their bill in cash at the time of delivery).

These types of affinity pricing gimmicks are just masqueraded attempts to make the estimate more price competitive under the company’s allowed pricing guidelines more than they are a show of good will and appreciation for your business. One very creative salesperson would write every order under the AAA contract as long as the customer had three “A’s” in their name. If you only had one, he would share two of his with you - but only if you agreed to move with him! :roll:

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 pm

These discounts all come out of the salesperson's commission, right?

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Not necessarily. It usually depends on the size of the account, frequency and value of the business, and size and type of incentive. The revenue reduction could be shared between all participating parties and might include a third party relo company, van line, booking agent, sales person and hauler.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon May 05, 2008 5:55 am

Based on my experience, I think you will usually find the discounts offered through membership in AAA and other organizations are not going to be any better and sometimes not as good as those you will find on the open market. I believe some groups are getting a referral fee from the moving company. Obviously, if they are, that fee will cut into the discount received by the actual consumer. These programs are marketing tools to get an individual to contact a particular mover and there is nothing wrong with them; however, with the possible exception of very small moves, I don't think there is usually any "deal" for the consumer that can't be found by getting several estimates from reputable moving companies. If the program offers free full-value replacement protection, it may be worth considering. The bottom-line is that the discounts offered through organizations are not in addition to the normal discounts offered to the general public and sometimes those can be better. Also, if you have problems with a particular mover, I doubt the organization to which you belong will intervene on your behalf. In my opinion, the best prices can be found when a consumer can use the corporate contract of a company they currently work for or are retired from. There you will oftentimes find valuation included in the package along with a very competitive discount.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 05, 2008 9:17 am

I agree. Compare the discount offered through AAA with the discount you can get on your own from other companies. Also, don't overlook the importance of getting a Binding Not to Exceed quote. We had a case reported here a few years ago where a person had a National Rifle Association discount but only a Nonbinding quote. She ended up paying very significantly more than she had thought she would because the weight of the shipment was much higher than estimated by the company that gave her an NRA discount.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon May 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Funny you should mention the NRA. A couple of years ago I did an estimate for another van line agent for a member of the NRA. The customer told me he was getting a couple of other quotes and I knew those movers were doing their pricing using "open market" discounts. Being aware of the contract terms, it did not take me long to realize this was going to be a price based decision and I was wasting my time. Unfortunately, my personal ethics, since I was representing the other agent, did not allow me to offer him the better price I knew I could have quoted, as well. The advise from Diane is right on target.

Return to “Open Community”