ALERT - avoid Oasis Moving & Storage (Las Vegas)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
UT2MA

ALERT - avoid Oasis Moving & Storage (Las Vegas)

Postby UT2MA » Sat May 29, 2004 4:57 pm

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about Oasis moving and storage. They gave me a pretty decent offer, but I can't find anything about them to reassure me that they won't scam me. I don't know if that is just because they are small or because they are bad. I'm an entrepenuer so I don't want to reject someone because they are the little guy.

Patrick

Tyrone

Re: Oasis Moving and Storage

Postby Tyrone » Sat May 29, 2004 8:32 pm

Please post their street address, phone #s, website (if any) and DOT/MC #s so that we can be sure which company you are talking about. There are many companies with similar names.

The most important are the DOT # and/or the MC #. If they hem, haw, or hesitate when you ask for it then that indicates a problem.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 29, 2004 10:43 pm

I posted previously that Oasis Moving and Storage in Las Vegas, NV (MC #476853) is not licensed to move household goods--only freight--and in any case its license for that dates only from January 2004. It advertises on www.vanlines.com and www.123movers.com, two websites that funnel customers to scammers.

We will have someone drive by their address and report back. I think this person is feeling tempted to use them. The address listed on safersys.org is 3355 West Spring Mountain Road, Las Vegas NV 89102, and their phone number is (702) 240-5841. (Reverse search on AnyWho confirms that phone number.) They say they have 1 truck and 1 driver.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 31, 2004 5:55 am

The following is the "report" after a drive-by inspection of the Oasis facility was conducted:

The Oasis "office" is in a run-down 1970's office park ("Spring Plaza") surrounded by strip clubs, in a horrible part of town, sitting in the shadows of the Interstate 15 overpass complete with hobos and crack heads. There is no warehouse.

Words fail to describe what a dump the location is. I would not buy a stick of gum from any business located there, let alone trust them with all my worldly possessions.

There are two 15 foot Penske trucks and one 15 foot Budget truck in the parking lot. The parking lot is shared by the 20+ businesses located in the crowded plaza.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 31, 2004 8:26 am

Thanks for the recon, Tyrone!

Has anyone bothered to ask Penske, Budget, Ryder, and Uhaul how they feel about their trucks being used for "professional moving"? I wonder if the informant that appeared here recently was able to contact law enforcement about his former co-worker cracking the odometer after renting the truck locally and driving it accross country. Tyrone, do you feel that a call to the local branch would be a good heads-up? Especially if that's where the trucks were rented from, and if they're rented locally?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 31, 2004 11:49 am

Thanks for the report, Ty. This "office" sounds very similar to what a friend of mine with a spycam found when he went to look at the premises of Ivy Moving & Storage in the Los Angeles area. The company was located in a run-down strip mall and my friend said he couldn't get out of there fast enough because of the loiterers and the seedy atmosphere. Let's hope that Patrick will rule out Oasis Moving & Storage immediately.

UT2MA

Postby UT2MA » Mon May 31, 2004 5:15 pm

Thanks for the work guys. I couldn't find anything on Oasis. I was assuming no news to be bad news, but it's nice to have it confirmed. Needless to say, I won't be using them to do my move.

Patrick

tgropel@hotmail.com

Postby tgropel@hotmail.com » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:54 am

Unfortunately we used Oasis for our move from Arizona to Minnesota. It was an absolute nightmare. I didn't find this thread until just now. Do NOT use these bastards.

They showed up in one of those Budget rental trucks with 1 Oasis worker and 2 temps they picked up in Phoenix. The Oasis worker and 1 of the temps began fighting in our front yard. One had his shirt off and was about to come to blows with the other. My wife kicked the temps out. That's when all of the racial slurs began yelling up and down the street between the Oasis worker and one of the temps.

We had actually gotten a do-not-exceed quote from United Van Lines. Oasis gave us a quote that was $1500 less than that. We had never moved before, so we didn't know any better. It ended up costing us $1000 over the United quote and $2500 over the Oasis original quote. We weren't shown the new quote until the truck was packed (thanks to my back breaking help since the temps were now gone) and it was locked up.

Once in Minnesota, a semi showed up (within the 2 weeks, so I'll give them that), with two guys who just contracted with Oasis to haul the items. They did move them into our garage and house, but there was no reassembly as Oasis claims they provide in their "full service" move. These guys probably had no idea we expected them to put some stuff together.

That's the breif explanation. We submitted a full explanation to the BBB. Oasis responded, pretty much calling us a bunch of complainers. They did give us $400 off, but $400 off of $4500 is crap with all of the stuff we went through.

If anybody would like the full version of the complaint, detailing everything, just contact me via email. tgropel@hotmail.com

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for this report further confirming what we knew about this scam company. I'm sorry you found this website after the fact but you will be a part of helping others avoid what you went through. Please take the time to file a complaint through this website (click on the top right corner). We've found the BBB to be pretty close to worthless in these situations. Have you filed complaints with any other agencies? Click on the links icon at the top of the page to see what other places to file your complaint. Some states are tougher than others on scam movers. Also, the more places like this where you file a complaint, the higher Oasis will come up in a Google search by someone who is considering using them. Again, I'm sorry you went through this; most of us here know what it feels like.

pj_1

Postby pj_1 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:59 pm

Oasis Moving and Storage - where to start?

Unfortunately I was told about this forum only after I got majorly scammed by them. I had moved 5 times before and everytime it was excellent. Had I known even just one of the items in the forum I would have never used them.

Let me start by saying that I moved from Irvine to Phoenix AZ in October 2002, which was a direct, full-service move for $3000. I cannot remember that company but all went well.

In March, 2005 I moved from Phoenix, to Dublin/Pleasanton, CA. I stumbled upon www.123movers.com after which I was contacted by Oasis Moving & Storage (the folks from Vegas). They did a phone estimate for 597 cft at $1654. Knowing I had paid for the previous move $3000 I was prepared to double the cost and call it 'ok'.

The Oasis move however would not be a direct move but go to storage some time during the move. Further I had many boxes (60) myself already from the previous move and had them use them. Some friends packed 90% of the items before the company even showed up.

So here is the story:
Oasis (the rep's name is Scott S.) scheduled a pick-up time of 9:00 am.
However they didn't show up until 3:30pm!!! There is no one at their office on Saturday, so I couldn't reach anyone. Scott had told me that a crew of 3 men would do the loading, instead 2 show up. Basically it really went downhill from then onward. They took frequent smoking breaks and took forver to get the large items wrapped (we had done all small boxes ourselves already). Since I had moved so much before I knew something was bad.

Basically their truck was full before they had loaded all my stuff because of previous items they had in there. They left my place at 12 midnight to come back the next morning after they had put some items in storage.
The next day they show up around 10:30am and load until 1pm (I have a flight at 2:30pm I barely made).

After they were done loading here comes the bill....remember their estimate was $1654 and I was prepared for about $3000 at most. Well, it came in at $5400!!!! Further they only accepted half in credit card with the rest due in cash or money in full at the day of delivery! They wouldn't even unload until I gave them the cash. The bill stated that they now suddenly had 1200 cft in items. However one if the people doing the unloading even admitted that my stuff wasn't all that much and at most about 750 cft!!!!
Then - some of my items were missing, others were destroyed because they were clearly improperly wrapped. I had a delicate piece of high-gloss furniture and it wasn't padded at all - just thin plastic wrap.

I am still considering how I can recoup some of the cost - maybe with the valuable help from this site. I might add that I paid for this move 'out of pocket' since there was no relocation assistance from my company. One of the managers there is Moshe - and of course they are denying any claim that they overcharged.

This is the worst moving company EVER! Stay away from them. They'll destroy your stuff and overcharge you.

pj

Postby pj » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:39 pm

Of course that refers to Oasis Moving & Storage.

[quote="pj_1"]One of the managers there is Moshe - and of course they are denying any claim that they overcharged.

This is the worst moving company EVER! Stay away from them. They'll destroy your stuff and overcharge you.[/quote]

MusicMom

Re: ALERT - avoid Oasis Moving & Storage (Las Vegas)

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:25 pm

Please check your Private Message box.

Glindawitch

Postby Glindawitch » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:31 pm

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

I was ripped off on a move from Oregon to Georgia via an internet scam. I got the quote from an internet outfit. When the movers showed up at my door (in a budget rental van that they could not turn off or else it would not start again thus poluting my neighbors apartments). They loaded 1/2 of my stuff and then told me I needed to give them $1500 cash. I didnt' have it and after many phone calls they finally loaded my stuff and took off with a parting comment that my stuff would be delivered in 2 - 3 weeks.

Five weeks later at 7:00pm on Sunday a very beaten up truck appeared with my stuff. Two spanish speaking only guys unloaded the truck in the rain. They refused to take my king sized mattress up the stairs so we had to do it and they couldnt' figure out how to get my couch in the door.

Oh, and before they would unload I had to send the credit card and dr. license via fax to be charged. I had to wait until the charge went thru for them to unload. I had to go to the local store with a fax machine to do this.

On top of it all my furniture was wrecked. Scratched and dented. What a nightmare!!!!!!!!!

narnime

Oasis moving is wise decision

Postby narnime » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:29 am

UT2MA wrote:Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about Oasis moving and storage. They gave me a pretty decent offer, but I can't find anything about them to reassure me that they won't scam me. I don't know if that is just because they are small or because they are bad. I'm an entrepenuer so I don't want to reject someone because they are the little guy.

Patrick

Oasis is a wise choice as a moving company, as i have used them 2 times (one for local and another for interstate) and both time i fount their service up-to-the mark. recently one of my friend used oasis while moving to carson city, and he experience the same.you can check out his experiences on his personal blog http://thesharpsight.blogspot.com/ I will use oasis if i need to relocate in future.
I am talking about oasis moving (las vegas)
Address: 911 North Buffalo Dr. #109
Las Vegas Nevada 89128

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”