thank you movingscam.com!!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
snow

thank you movingscam.com!!!

Postby snow » Sun May 30, 2004 11:55 am

I stumbled on to this site while looking for movers back in late February 2004. You guys kept me from making one of what I am sure would have been the biggest mistakes of my life! I had 3 internet quotes, and I almost went with ::gasp:: Giant Movers in Jessup, MD for my local move. I knew after reading this site that I would be a prime target for problems so I did my homework after solicting quotes.

The articles and message boards on this site kept me from a disaster. Instead, I had the best move EVER!!!

I had decided to move myself, and rent from U Haul (again). I made an online reservation a month and a half in advance, and decided to use their EMove services. I figured I had the control over my posessions that I needed, since I would be loaded/unloaded but driving my stuff myself. If the movers sucked, I could kick them out without payment before they finished. I would have, too - based on some of the horror stories here.

I hired Carolyn's Cleaners/Moving Services after checking them out on the web to make sure they were a real company etc. I was really quite skeptical. After reading some more here, I canceled the UHaul truck and got a clean and well maintained truck from Budget that I was very happy with. I paid 5 more dollars, whoopie.

Carolyn and her husband came and packed all my stuff up in nothing flat. I have had to work 4 hours with 2 friends to do what they did in 1 1/2. I was still somewhat nervous about the whole thing, and very watchful. It was exactly like watching people making a 3 D puzzle. They were accomadating to my needs and were neat, efficient and pleasant. I used them on both ends of my move to load and unload. I am so glad that i did. The whole thing was painless (well, for a move). Next time, they drive the truck, too!

I am sorry to have gone on and on but I am so grateful to this place and I am just so pleased with the people I got from EMove. I cannot recommend Carolyn's enough for their hard work, and making every thing turn out OK. No, I do not work for Emove or Carolyn's or anthing, I am just a one hell of a happy movingscam.com reader. Thanks again!

Diane

Re: thank you movingscam.com!!!

Postby Diane » Sun May 30, 2004 12:06 pm

Hi, snow,

Thanks so much for reporting on your good local move. You can help us by giving us more information about Carolyn's (I just went on the Internet and couldn't find them). We need the full name, address, and phone number of the company or the people. Also, do they work only through emove.com or can they accept jobs directly? How much did they charge to load and unload your things, and for how many hours? Did they do any packing?

Thanks again.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 30, 2004 2:11 pm

Another Cleaners/ Moving company???? (inside joke)

Postby Guest » Sun May 30, 2004 2:25 pm

Hi Diane..

Sorry... you are right, I should have provided a bit more info!! I had Carolyn give me a couple of business cards so I have it right here on my fridge in case I want cleaning or other services as well!

The correct name of the company is Carolyn's Custom Cleaning, LLC. The website is www.carolyncleans.com. I do not know if they only work through Emove or if they also do direct. I know that her husband handles most of the moving arrangements for the company and ordinarily uses another helper. I moved on Easter weekend so Carolyn herself was his very able assistant.

They charged $55/hr for 2 hour minimum on both ends. That was way lower then the others on Emove, but maybe it was to get them started. They worked MUCH harder then that, I almost felt bad paying them that little (except I am broke).

My move was from Annapolis MD to Glen Burnie, MD. I believe their Emove blub said they do within 100 miles of our area. They also do packing and drive the truck, all kinds of services. I just had them pack/unpack.

Carolyn's office # is 410-590-1300. Since I moved in April, I don't know if their rates or anything have changed since then. PS none of my stuff was broken, and I have to be the world's worst packer.

snow

Postby snow » Sun May 30, 2004 2:28 pm

Oh I am sorry... I forgot to log in as me for the reply to Diane!!

snow <--such a newbie

snow

Postby snow » Sun May 30, 2004 2:32 pm

"..... I just had them pack/unpack. "

I am NOT having a very good typing day!! I mean "load and unload" not pack and unpack.

I am sorry for any confusion!!!!

snow

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 30, 2004 2:40 pm

That's fine . . . everyone confuses those two words!

Their website doesn't say anything about moving services, but we'll definitely keep them in mind for future inquiries. It looks as if they don't go as far south as DC/Alexandria, though.

snow

Postby snow » Sun May 30, 2004 2:54 pm

DC/Alexandria and anything in Northern Virginia is a driver's worst nightmare.. ask the residents! :) I wouldn't go there either except on the train.

As far as Budget went, I was pretty satisfied. It was definitely much better all the way around then U Haul. I used the local Annapolis office. They had really good hours for pickup and drop off, like 7:30 am to 5:30 pm or something, and on a weekend that counts! The pickup staff was friendly and helpful. The truck was very clean and neat, drove like a car and the brakes were great (don't ask me how I know that :).

I had trouble putting the truck ( a 15") in reverse, because I am not used to it. There was a spot right in front of my new back patio which made unloading a mover's dream and no way could I get the truck in there. Carolyn backed it in and had a lot of trouble with it stalling in reverse. I had no problems in forward gear at all. I told the Budget guy (a different counter person) when I dropped off the truck about it, but he didn't even write it down!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 30, 2004 3:01 pm

Thanks for the added info. Now if Carolyn's could only recommend someone in the DC/VA area, because we get a lot of inquiries about that. I gather that they won't cross state lines.

So you couldn't even handle a 15-inch truck, snow . . . wow, I can see why you handed it over to Carolyn . . . JUST KIDDING!

Thanks again!

snow

Postby snow » Sun May 30, 2004 3:03 pm

15"... ROFLMAO!! ok i think i should walk away from the keyboard the rest of the day! :)

eMove

Postby eMove » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:43 pm

snow, please make sure you leave a review for the Service Provider if you have not already. If you need the instructions please let us know!

Moving Help Support Team
movinghelp.emove.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:17 pm

Emove, I've been hoping you would come on here. We'd like to know more about how you screen the people who provide services through your website. One person posting here last August (I have a long memory!) had a bad experience with someone called "Vlad." See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596

eMove

Postby eMove » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:27 pm

I can provde you with the information we provide customers. All Service Providers identities are verified prior to allowing them to operate on the MarketPlace. They have to be at least 18 years of age and have no felony convictions. I have read previous posts regarding the situation with "Vlad" and can tell you that if the customer did have an order with that Service Provider we would supply the contact information for the customer to pursue whatever actions deemed necessary by the customer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:39 pm

If you've been following these boards, you may also know that I asked this question of a person who said he was a U-Haul manager in January 2004 (it's on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=864):

Diane wrote:Some U-Haul locations offer packing and loading services through local companies. Are those services any good, in your opinion?

U-Haul manager wrote: NO. uhaul set up what is called e-move. basically we provide a site and for a fee (i think 10$ and any moves booked through emove uhaul gets a take in what the movers make) any nimrod with a computer can register themselves to be a mover. Uhual has no association with these people and if they wind up stealing your belongings or worse uahul isnt responsible. Most of these folks dont have insurance. THere are no background checks done on these peole so you could have a rapist or murderer moving your family and belongings.
There are a few good folks out there, but I personally wouldnt do it unless i saw some sort of licensing and insurance through these folks

Any comments?

snow

Postby snow » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:33 pm

eMove wrote:snow, please make sure you leave a review for the Service Provider if you have not already. If you need the instructions please let us know!

Moving Help Support Team
movinghelp.emove.com

i left them a glowing review for both ends of my move :)

Return to “Open Community”