*Mad City Movers - Safety Rating?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gatsby169

*Mad City Movers - Safety Rating?

Postby gatsby169 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14 am

I looked up this company's safety rating:
http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... state%3DWI

That number looks quite high. Is that something to be concerned with?
I was considering getting an estimate from them.

Auri

Re: Safety Rating?

Postby Auri » Thu May 01, 2008 9:38 am

I've seen worse.
Industry Professional in Chicago

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 am

It is a high percentage and well above the average but it's only based on three inspections. Mad City Movers appear to concentrate mostly on local and intrastate relocations so most of their business would not fall under the purview of the FMCSA. They've held their authority uninterrupted since 2003 so they haven't been shut down for operating in an unsafe manner.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 am

I just checked the actual driver inspections, and only 1 out of 4 was failed, and it was for a logbook violation (don't know what kind). It's not perfect, but it's nothing to worry about given their fairly steady history.

gatsby169

Postby gatsby169 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:19 am

Good to know. I'm considering them for a short interstate move (Madison, WI to Des Moines, IA). I may also price them for loading a trailer or pod.
Thanks. I've learned so much (perhaps a little too much) from this site.

gatsby169

Postby gatsby169 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:57 am

I just spoke with them on the phone. They don't charge by weight, but by an hourly charge. For my one bedroom, he estimated it would take 2-persons about 2 hours to load (I don't have a lot of furniture).
I should probably insist on an in-house estimate I assume.
Regardless, his estimate was $1864. They'd essentially pick up my stuff in the afternoon, drive to Des Moines the next morning, and deliver it the next day.
I'll get other estimates as well, but are any red flags there?
This is for an August move.

smatwilly

Re: *Mad City Movers - Safety Rating?

Postby smatwilly » Fri May 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Well, if its going from one state to another it shouldnt be priced based on the time involved---it should be the weight/mileage----you might get screwed )pardon my expression) on the coverage/valuation (insurance)---because of the way they are pricing it..... someone else may know better on where you are coming from & going to - also, they should really do a visual estimate--they should check the accessibility to make sure there is good access---in house & outside of house--a straight van is all you need but accessibility problems could make the move take longer----

How long did he figured for time? Loading, traveling & unloading--how about a fuel surcharge? Make sure you get the estimate in writing!

Good luck - I would still get other estimates from NorthAmerican, Allied, United, Mayflower-------I could go on for a while! :lol:

gatsby169

Postby gatsby169 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 pm

I think the time estimate is just for loading/unloading. The drive was estimated by mileage. I'm waiting on an electronic estimate. I will get other quotes and insist on a visit. Fortunately, my apartment is pretty accesible.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Google Maps says it's 493 miles from town to town, or just under 5 hours' drive time.

That REALLY should be based on weight, and proven with weight tickets as interstate moves almost always are. I'd understand if it was just over the state line, and they had an exception in their tarriff, but this is a bit more significant move. You could get charged extra for a major delay in such a long drive.

I'm thinking you should find another mover, they're not estimating properly.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Did they give you a "Your rights and responsiblilities when you move" booklet? They are required to. It sounds to me like they are charging extra labor, for some reason. It's a normal charge as an extra service, but what is that service? Shuttle? I have no idea, but an interstate move doesn't have a separate loading charge, that is part of the transportation charge.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

gatsby169

Postby gatsby169 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:15 am

Here is the written estimate I received:

Our service is intended to be personal and professional delivering an efficient moving product while dedicating the service to you only. Our company is a 24 year independent company fully interstate licensed, insured and bonded using our employees only, no temporary help.

Following review of your move, the labor rate for loading your effects would be $102/hour (non-Sunday) for two men and all equipment to get to you, load and return to shop. I estimate the load time to be near 2 hours. The layover fee for the additional day’s truck occupancy is $125, but waived for you. The time for the trip to DesMoines, unloading and return back to Madison is estimated to be near 12 hours at an hourly rate of $55/hour for one man. Unload assistance would be a charge of $100.

There is a vehicle/mileage fee of $1.50/round trip mile, and we estimate there to be near 600 trip miles. Not knowing the access ease, length of carry or parking at the locations makes an exact estimate difficult. There would be no fuel surcharge, heavy piece, steps, long carry or other charges in your move unless you require packing assistance or materials. That service and those materials are available

I estimate the cost of your move to be near $1,864. This estimate is to move your effects and is contingent upon us using only one 28’ straight truck. Inventory given would fit on one truck. Please note that standard aspects of our service include shrink wrap of cloth items, blanket wrap all pieces on the truck, use of cloth floor runners on floors and doorway protection for the doorways and furniture as we pass. We would offer a not to exceed of $1,950.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
At this point, I don't have a destination (we are looking at apartments in about two weeks. I will call and insist that he look at my apartment if we decide to go this route. I think we are leaning toward using upack or broadway express. He also gave me about 10 references and I'll call them.
Thanks for the guidance again.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Suggest you obtain several in-home surveys from established local agents of major van lines or reputable interstate movers that can list your transportation costs and accessorial services on an itemized estimate. One unforeseen road closure, traffic accident, weather related delay or driver detour could cost you a bundle under this pricing arrangement.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 03, 2008 12:58 pm

He has a "not to exceed" estimate, Rick.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat May 03, 2008 1:41 pm

I saw that but, without seeing their tariff explanations/limitations, I'm leery that "act of God" or other unforeseen situations beyond the carrier's control could increase that cost.

Nothing again Mad City Movers but there are several very good, well established agents of major interstate van lines right in Madison that could be contacted for a free in-home estimate to have something to benchmark against.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Here is something I would ask myself: Why are they using non-standard ways of estimating cost?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Open Community”