Move from SF to Boston, Moovers Inc is all booked up, Need help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Sturtz

Move from SF to Boston, Moovers Inc is all booked up, Need help

Postby Sturtz » Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi there, Im moving from San Francisco to Boston in late may/early june and wanted to go with Moovers, Inc but unfortunately they were all booked up. Moovers Inc suggested trying Delancey which was also booked and also suggested trying Metropolitan Van Lines based in Benicia which is an agent for Atlas. Their web address is www.metrovan.com. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on Metropolitan/Atlas or if you can give me any other suggestions for full service moovers.
Thanks!

Diane

Re: Move from SF to Boston, Moovers Inc is all booked up, Need help

Postby Diane » Wed May 07, 2008 9:54 am

Your first step in investigating any company you're considering for an interstate move should be to go to www.protectyourmove.gov to see whether there are any complaints there (especially for hostage freight, which should be a deal-breaker in my opinion), whether the company is licensed and insured, and how many trucks the company has. This is the information for Metropolitan:

METROPOLITAN VAN & STORAGE, INC.
USDOT Number : 222569
MC # : 138536
Address : 5400 INDUSTRIAL WAY
BENICIA, CA 94510-1113
Mailing Address : P O BOX 829
MARTINEZ, CA 94553-0082
Telephone : (510) 372-8015

It has no complaints, it is licensed and insured with an OK safety record, and it has around 10 trucks, only half of which are tractor-trailers, so chances are your goods would be put into the Atlas van line system and hauled by an Atlas driver rather than by Metropolitan itself. (There is nothing wrong with that - it is normal.) The fact that it has 10 trucks shows that it is probably not a broker, which is also good (avoid brokers).

Its MC (Motor Carrier) license number needed to transport goods interstate is 138536 and that is Metropolitan's OWN MC number, showing that it has its own interstate hauling authority. Many times, a company will give up its interstate authority when it becomes a van line agent and simply use the van line's authority. In that case, Atlas Van Lines' MC number would have been shown instead of Metropolitan's, which is fine, but that is not the case here.

Next step, go to www.bbb.org and you'll see that the company has no complaints over the past 36 months, which is good. It is not a member of the BBB, which is not important and shouldn't be held against the company.

Next step, go to Google and search on the company name in quotation marks plus the words "complaint" and then "review" - i.e. "Metropolitan Van" complaint, "Metropolitan Van" review - and see whether anything comes up. Nothing does, so given the fact that Moovers recommended them, I would say that you should certainly feel safe getting a quote from them.

However, they are in Benicia and you are in San Francisco. Go to the Superlist linked to below my name and look under "Bay Area" in the California section. Choose a couple more moving companies to get quotes from that have good reviews there. Choose companies from different van lines. Mayflower and United are generally considered the two strongest van lines, and Atlas is also good.

If the quotes come in too high for your budget, consider using ABF U-Pack plus a small company to load and unload the trailer or ReloCube.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”