My experience with Walecka movers (Atlas Van lines) from MA to VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rezf

My experience with Walecka movers (Atlas Van lines) from MA to VA

Postby rezf » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Hello,
I would like to share my experience with you regarding Waleka movers for a Straight truck door to door move of my furniture from MA to VA. For those interested, please see my initial posts in this thread regarding the details PRIOR to the move.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

I ended up calling Walecka in Jan 08 on a Friday and told them due to a fast sale of my condo, I need the furniture packaged up and loaded on their truck the following Tuesday. There was a snow storm in the forecast in Massachusetts during the said dates. nevertheless, they came promptly on Monday morning, packaged everything, and loaded onto the truck the next day Tuesday. The furniture was to arrive in my home in VA two days later on a Thursday. Please bear in mind that I was NOT there during the packing and move, as I was already in VA. These instructions were given to them by me on the phone.
The delivery came Thursday morning, as promised and they proceeded to unload and unpack. Everything looked great......it better for the price I paid: $7000 for a 5500 pound load straight truck delivery including premium insurance purchased.
Well, unfortunately, everything did not turn out great:

1) there was a tear in the fabric of my bed upholstery (3in x 3in)

2) My wooden book-shelf had a large chip in one of its legs

3) My DVD player did not work, probably due to the movement within the box

4) I was missing a few items, namely a vacuum cleaner and a couple of APC surge protectors.

Thanklfully, my $4500 B&O CD changer (which has a large clear glass covering) was not damaged, especially since they wrapped it in butcher paper and included it among other items in one box. I had specifically advised David Walecka in the summer 2007 that I would like this item handled with care. He advised me they would put the CD changer by itself in a vertical box with some padding. But alas, that was not what happened.

I was extremely frustrated at this ordeal. Having paid $7000, I was looking to avoid precisely what ended up happening to me.

I got on the phone with Walecka customer service and Atlas insurance claims. They promptly submitted a check for the missing items and defective DVD player (a sum total of $300). The insurance adjuster came to my home to inspect the damaged bookcase and torn fabric of my bed. he proceeded to apply some quick fix compound and painted it the color of my book case to mask the chipped edge. For the bed, he offered me a cash settlement of $1000. (The cost of the bed was $2500)

To be honest, I don't know whether I should be happy/pleased with their service (from pickup to delivery and post-delivery customer service) or be angry that things like this should not have happened. Do these things happen on every move? Should I expect some dissatisfaction with an out of state move? I don't know the answer to these as I have never had a prior move. I know that I could have paid a fraction of that money (est $2500) to have my furniture shipped with Waleka through the Van line network. But I thought that loading and unloading of my furniture a number of times in their storage warehouse can increase the likelihood of furniture damage. Yet, I paid $7000 and ended up with damaged furniture.

With this post, I have tried to be as level-headed as possible to document the good and the bad experiences with this company. That said, I will not endorse nor reject Walecka Movers' as a moving company. I will leave that to the folks who are reading this post.

RezF

Diane

Re: **My experience with Waleka movers (Atlas Van lines) from MA to VA

Postby Diane » Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks for this even-handed review of Walecka. I'm very sorry that you had damage after paying so much for the move. However, you can't really expect to avoid damage just by paying for an "exclusive" move. Even if you had been moving the things yourself, chances are that you would have inadvertently damaged something like the bookcase and bed upholstery. Also, it sounds to me as if the claims adjustor was pretty generous in offering you $1000 for the bed damage. And delivery was very fast.

However, since it was an exclusive move and yours was the only load on the truck, there should not have been missing items.

So, I would have to say that Walecka's performance was not stellar on your particular move. Whether you would have come out better or worse if the move had gone into the van line system is anybody's guess, because the main factor is the quality of the driver and crew, and that can't be known beforehand unless you have an "account" move where the better drivers are assigned.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bigmove

Re: My experience with Walecka movers (Atlas Van lines) from MA to VA

Postby bigmove » Fri May 09, 2008 7:00 pm

I work for a different Atlas agent, and I would say they did an average job. Things can get damaged on long distance moves, and it appears they did everything possible to fix the damages. Paying you $1,000 for a $2,500 bed, is pretty normal if you didn't have full value replacement valuation. That is something that happens every day, and it is just a glich in the system. Movers cannot pay $2,500 for an item worth $1,000, if you didn't specifically pay a premium for this type of coverage.

Where you do have a valid complaint, is it appears you paid a premium price hoping to get a premium service, and this did not happen. If you charge a customer a premium for good service, that is what you must give them. Everyone wants to charge higher prices, but you must back up this price with superior service.

rezf

Postby rezf » Sat May 10, 2008 10:16 am

I took every measure I possibly could and accepted the recommendation of purchasing insurance premium, given to me when doing the walk through, all to have an added layer of protection. The additional premium insurance surcharge was around $700. In the end I feel let down in that I paid a high level of fee expecting/hoping to get a high level of service.
Of course, during the walk through, I did not ask to look at an example of an insurance claim form. In it, buried in fine print, is the message that ATlas reserves the right to repair first, then consider replacement.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:29 am

That is the case with any mover, anywhere.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Sat May 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Rydog is 100% correct. There is no way, any moving company could replace at full value, any furniture which has any damage at all. The price of that type of coverage would probably be more than the move itself.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sat May 10, 2008 5:35 pm

When you say you have a tear in your bed upholstery, is this something on the headboard or footboard? Or are you talking about the mattress or box spring? If it is on the bed frame, can the tear be repaired without it looking horrible or very easily noticed? I'm thinking that should have some bearing on whether you get repair or replacement. The other question is whether or not the item can be repaired for $1000.00. Just a couple of my thoughts on the matter.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Again, rezf, I'm sorry about what happened and I certainly can understand your feeling let down after having paid so much.

rezf

Postby rezf » Mon May 12, 2008 6:46 am

chaz4moving wrote:When you say you have a tear in your bed upholstery, is this something on the headboard or footboard? Or are you talking about the mattress or box spring? If it is on the bed frame, can the tear be repaired without it looking horrible or very easily noticed? I'm thinking that should have some bearing on whether you get repair or replacement. The other question is whether or not the item can be repaired for $1000.00. Just a couple of my thoughts on the matter.

The tear is in the fabric (upholstery) in the footboard. I have not done anything about it yet as I am getting ready to move yet again, and once I get settled, I plan on contacting the furniture store where I purchased the bed, in order to see if they would re-upholster the entire bed. That would be the only way it would look decent. If the re-upholstering is north of $1000, then the diff is on my dime, I guess

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Just a note, when you move again your prior move is over and the likelihood of filing a claim against is almost non-existant.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I was just about to say the same thing as joesgarage39. You need to complete the claims process with Atlas before you move again.

Return to “Open Community”