Mitchell Moving - Seattle, WA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
snuffles

Mitchell Moving - Seattle, WA

Postby snuffles » Mon May 31, 2004 6:47 pm

I'm moving from Seattle, WA to Baltimore, MD. I have researched several of the larger companies, Mayflower, United, Bekins, and Atlas. So far Atlas looks to be the best suited for me (they have a 1000 lb. minimum compared to the others 2100 lb. minimum) - I'm moving a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm planning to move in August, so I'd like to book a mover soon (most movers have been saying that August fills up quickly).

The Atlas agent that gave me a quote was:

Mitchell Moving
U.S. DOT No. 125550
18800 Southcenter Pkwy
Seattle, WA 98188
(206)575-6800

Does anyone have experience with them? or any additional information that I should know before booking with them? Is there additional information that I need to provide?

Thanks in advance!

Diane

Re: Mitchell Moving - Seattle, WA

Postby Diane » Mon May 31, 2004 7:00 pm

Snuffles,

At first glance, this company looks OK. It's hard for us to investigate it because most of the information on www.safersys.org is for the overall van line (Atlas), but on its website, Mitchell says it has been in business since 1952, which is a huge plus. On safersys, the MC #136038 is given for Mitchell Moving itself, with the legal name Alaska Seavan, Inc., and that record looks OK.

Did they give you a Binding Not to Exceed quote? How much was the quote, and for how many pounds, and what services (such as valuation) were included in the price?

snuffles

Postby snuffles » Mon May 31, 2004 7:16 pm

They gave me two quotes one for 1500 lbs. and one for 2000 lbs. The in house estimate came out to 2000 lbs, but even the estimator said if I ship some books via media rate etc & pack my car (i'm driving out also) then i could easily get it to 1500 lbs. hence the two price quotes.

For 1500 lbs. including destination shuttle charge it was $1599.40 with basic insurance coverage ($.60/lb.).

For 2000 lbs. including destination shuttle charge it was $1960.85 with basic insurance coverage.

Since the in house estimate came out to under 2000 lbs. they said the 2000 lb. quote was a guaranteed not to exceed, but I could have them come out for another estimate right before the move (after I've shipped a couple things). They also said the only thing that should change is the fuel surcharge.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 31, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks - this is enough information and I feel sure that when the moverguys get back from the holiday weekend somebody will jump in to advise you further. Did the estimator give you a "Your Rights and Responsibilities" booklet, and if so, how many pages does it have?

Postby Guest » Mon May 31, 2004 10:51 pm

They did give me a Rights & Responsibilities guide that is 20 pages long (not full 8 x 10 pages - it looks like a pamphlet). It looks like the standard one printed by the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 31, 2004 11:20 pm

That is the old, illegal one. The "real" one is over 45 pages long with a revision date of May 2004.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 31, 2004 11:31 pm

And you can read and/or download it here

snuffles

Postby snuffles » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:15 pm

Does this mean i shouldn't use them? i.e. the outdated Rights & responsibilities booklet.

Here2Help

Postby Here2Help » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:26 pm

What it means is that they are not legally doing the right thing! The new pamphlet has wording that will protect you at destination that the older version does not have!

Don't be fooled with the "1000# minimum". There aren't too many 1 BR apartments in this country that have less than 1000#!

I assure you a 1BR apartment on average is at least 2000# unless it's a dorm room!

snuffles

Postby snuffles » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:37 pm

I doubt I have under 1000#. However, the only larger items I need to move are a bed (no headboard or footboard, just a metal frame) and a desk. I just have lots of miscellaneous items other than that.

I've had at least 4 in home estimates all of them coming up right under 2000#. Given that I'm driving also, and I can pack my car with some heavier items and I'll probably end up leaving some of the items, I think I can probably control my moving weight to around 1500#.

Postby 23 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:29 am

Snuffles,

I would rule out putting anything in your car when you ship it!

Most carriers forbid it due to two major reasons:
:arrow: It increases the chances of theft (an outsider breaking into your vehicle)
:arrow: Car carriers rely on the published weights of each vehicle to make sure they are not going to be driving illegal (overweight). If they think your car weighs 2800#, but you have it loaded out and it weighs 3300#, that might mean that they will have to ship 7 cars instead of 8. This will obviously cause friction between you and the carrier!

If anything, ship books and non-breakables through the USPS.

Good luck!

Postby 23 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:31 am

Oops,

Didn't realize you were driving it! Sorry about that bit of info.

Since you are driving, I would limit the extra weight you put in your car to 300-400#, otherwise you might do more damage to your vehicle than what it is worth. (shocks, struts, breaks)

Again,
Good Luck!

lorax

Postby lorax » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:25 pm

We had a HORRIBLE experience with them. Can't say enough bad things. Avoid them if you can.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:58 pm

Can you tell us your story so we can understand what was so bad about this company's move?

lorax

Postby lorax » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:35 pm

Here are some of the highlights

1) they gave us a 3-10 day spread. Not once in that 10 day period did they call us. No updates, nothing. Usually didn't return our calls either and when we did get a hold of them they gave the impression that returning customers calls/giving updates was not something that we should expect.

2) At 7 days we were told our stuff would be here "tomorrow". We were moving from Seattle to Chicago area. Turns out (we found out later) our stuff was still on the west coast.

3) at 9 days told it would likely be here the next day. ditto for 10 days. Again, turns out there was no way that was possible.

4) We kept being told that they couldn't locate the driver (passing the buck). Eventually we called the 1-800 main Atlas number. To their credit, they were excellent. Turns out a delay of 2 days (making it 12 total) had been added to our file. Mitchell never informed of us that at any point. Also, the driver had been told we preferred to move at 12 days (not true). And, turns out the driver hadn't been contacted at all.

5) Final move was at 12 days after about 10 phones calls to the main atlas number. almost two full weeks to get our stuff.

6) also, we suspect that a loader took some jewellery.

7) the customer service agent was not friendly and evasive.

We did love the guy who gave the quote (Don I think his name was) and the loaders and driver seemed nice. They were right on their quote. What I never understand is why they just don't say it like it is. If they were to have said, you know your move is two days delayed it would suck but these things do happen. But we spent about a week thinking our stuff would arrive "tomorrow". The main Atlas people went out of their way to find out what was going on and to tell us to book a hotel they'd pay, buy stuff we needed etc. and apologize. Mitchell did none of that. When I asked what we were to do in the event our stuff was late the customer service rep said to contact 1-800 atlas and not in a pleasant tone of voice.

Good luck!

Return to “Open Community”