Information on UPakWeShip

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Nathalie

Information on UPakWeShip

Postby Nathalie » Sun May 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi,

I will be moving to Switzerland shortly and I am considering UPakWeShip. I did a search on this site, but only found posts saying that they do not have a FMC license. I then checked on the FMC site and found out that they do have a license (#020288F). So, as they have a license, they could be OK, but I cannot find any good or bad information on this site about them (when I do a search, all I get is "no license").
Does anybody have any experience in moving with them? How was it?

I would be most grateful for information, experience, feed-back etc about this company,

Thanks, Cheers

Nathalie[/i]

Noone

Re: Information on UPakWeShip

Postby Noone » Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 am

If you search "UPakWeShip" (in quotes) you will see a lot of questions, a couple of goods comments, and a couple of concerns/complaints.

The biggest concern with them is that most shippers (that's you) aren't familiar enough with the costs that are involved in getting a shipment "From Port". What I mean is that they give a lower price because they don't include fees you will ultimately pay, and services you will likely need.

For a regular commercial shipper, who already has deals with the port facilities, and a customs clearer, UPakWeShip offers a fine alternative. But for an infrequent shipper of personal goods (you) you may be in for an unpleasant surprise once the goods get to port.

Also, because of the nature of their business (You pack) there are limits both on insurance liability (if you pack it and it breaks, there's no insurance) as well as estimated volume (you do the volume calculation, so if you made a mistake, that's your fault). If the goods are already palletized or loaded into a lift-van, calculating volunme is easy, but even if you are using uniform boxes, are you adding on the right percent for palletizing?

I suggest posting their quote here, along with a list of what it is that you're shipping. This way we can help you see what potential problems you might have, and how to avoid them.

Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Mon May 12, 2008 7:59 am

Hi Noone,

Thanks heaps for your answer, in fact UPackWeShip is quoting me "wharehouse to door", so I drop all the goods in their wharehouse in boston, but then they bring me all the good in my house in switzerland. I won't need to do any custom clearance or anything.
I am attaching the quote (contract) and will welcome yours (and others) comments.

Thanks Heaps, Nathalie
1) CLIENT’S NAME _____Nathalie Jaquet___________

2) HOW DID YOU FIND UPAKWESHIP??_____ GOOGLE_____INTERNET SEARCH
_____FRIEND_____POSTER_____ OTHER

3) **DELIVER YOUR BOXES TO: UPAKWESHIP, C/O ASTRO INTERNATIONAL, 94 SPARK ST, BROCKTON, MA 02302, PH 508 587 6993, MON-FRI 9AM-3PM___

4) YOUR CURRENT CONTACT PHONE____________________

5) YOUR CURRENT EMAIL______________________

6) YOUR EMAIL OVERSEAS ____________________

7) YOUR REQUESTED DROP-OFF DATE AT OUR WAREHOUSE___________

8) MINIMUM CHARGE__USD 13.50 MINIMUM___

9) QUOTED SHIPMENT RATE__USD 13.50 PER GROSS CUBIC FOOT_____

10) ADDITIONAL CHARGES ______STORAGE IS AVAILABLE IF REQUESTED _______

11) SHIPMENT DELIVERY ADDRESS _______________________________________

____________________________________SWITZERLAND_____________________

12) CONTACT PHONE OVERSEAS_____________WORK PHONE_______________

13) DATE YOU ARRIVE OVERSEAS ________________

14) TEMPORARY CONTACT DETAILS (IF APPLICABLE)________________________

DATES_____________PHONE_________________

15) ANY OTHER INFORMATION WE MIGHT NEED TO KNOW? _________________________

16) WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE SHIPPING INSURANCE? YES_________ NO_________
IF YES PLEASE SELECT ONE OF THE FOUR COVERAGES LISTED BELOW AND LIST YOUR SHIPMENT’S DECLARED REPLACEMENT VALUE

**FULL REPLACEMENT COVERAGE (REQUIRES A VALUED INVENTORY LIST PRESENTED TO UPAKWESHIP PRIOR TO THE SHIPPING DATE. SINCE THE SHIPMENT HAS BEEN PACKED BY OWNER COVERAGE IS LIMITED TO THEFT, LOSS, WATER DAMAGE, OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISHANDLING OF THE SHIPMENT). PURCHASE OF FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE INCLUDES NAMED PERILS COVERAGE

VALUE FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES X 3.0% PREMIUM ($0 DEDUCTIBLE) $__________

VALUE FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES X 2.5% PREMIUM ($500 DEDUCTIBLE) $__________

VALUE FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES X 2.0% PREMIUM ($1000 DEDUCTIBLE) $__________

**NAMED PERILS/TOTAL LOSS COVERAGE (COVERAGE AGAINST THE TOTAL LOSS OF THE ENTIRE SHIPMENT DUE TO SINKING, STRANDING, BURNING, OR COLLISION OF THE VESSEL OR JETTISON OF THE CARGO)

VALUE FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES X 1% PREMIUM ($0 DEDUCTIBLE) $__________

17) In the event of any loss or damage arising out of the fault or neglect of UPakWeShip, Inc., and liability of UPakWeShip, Inc. will be limited to the lesser value of USD .15/lb or USD 500 per pallet or crate. PLEASE REVIEW http://www.upakweship.com/insurance.htm FOR THE EXACT TERMS OF INSURANCE COVERAGE

18) PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING
This rate includes receipt of packed boxes at our local warehouse, palletizing and shrink-wrap for export, transportation to port of exit, preparation of export documentation, ocean freight to port of entry, customs clearance, payment of port handling charges (THC/CSC), and delivery to a single residence. Our rates are valid for delivery to a single location, not above the second floor. Warehouse receiving hours are Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm.
‘Customs clearance’ means that our agent will make an entry to customs on your behalf; you are still required to complete the documentation. In many cases our agent can provide you with this paperwork, but depending on your destination it might be necessary to obtain some of the documentation for yourself.

CONTINUED:
This rate excludes packing, packing materials, delivery to our local warehouse, insurance, storage, demurrage, customs duties or taxes, customs exams or inspections, port security exams or inspections, or any charges related to difficult access at residence.
While every effort is made to meet scheduled dates, occasional problems do arise that are beyond our control, causing us to run late or even preventing us from making an appointment. Examples include mechanical breakdown of trucks, traffic, road constructions, bad weather, bad parking conditions, pier closings/work stoppages, etc. Please be conscious of this when choosing dates; we recommend that you do not schedule real estate closings, airline flights, or other important events that cannot be rescheduled on the same day as your delivery. Please also understand that while we make every effort to expedite the delivery of your shipment to your new residence overseas due to weather, transshipment, vessel breakdowns, strikes, port conditions, etc. we are unable to guarantee arrival or delivery dates. We reserve the right to refuse any cargo we deem to be unsafe.

19) ***YOUR SHIPMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNLESS THIS SECTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND INITIALED***
TO KEEP OUR RATES LOW WE MUST INSIST THAT PAYMENT FOR YOUR SHIPMENT BE RECEIVED WITHIN 10 DAYS OF THE DATE ON OUR INVOICE. PAYMENT WILL BE ACCEPTED IN US FUNDS BY PERSONAL CHECK, WIRE TRANSFER, MONEY ORDER, CASHIER’S CHECK OR CREDIT CARD. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING CHARGES A HANDLING FEE WILL APPLY (5% FOR VISA OR MASTERCARD, 7% FOR AMERICAN EXPRESS) ____ Your initials
IN THE EVENT THAT PAYMENT FOR THE ENTIRE SHIPMENT IS NOT RECEIVED BY UPAKWESHIP WITHIN 10 DAYS OF THE RECEIPT OF UPAKWESHIP’S INVOICE I FURTHER AUTHORIZE UPAKWESHIP TO USE THE FOLLOWING CREDIT CARD TO SETTLE MY ACCOUNT, SUBJECT TO A 10% HANDLING FEE. IF AT ANY TIME MY PERSONAL CHECK IS RETURNED BY THE BANK I AUTHORIZE UPAKWESHIP TO CHARGE THIS CREDIT CARD FOR ALL CHARGES DUE, SUBJECT TO A 10% HANDLING FEE. ____ Your initials

NAME ON THE CARD: ____________________________
VISA _____ MASTERCARD _____ AMERICAN EXPRESS ____
CARD NUMBER: _________________________________
EXPIRATION DATE: __________________
3 or 4 DIGIT SECURITY CODE (BACK OF CARD) _________
BILLING ADDRESS:___________________________________________________________
CARDHOLDER’S SIGNATURE: _________________________________________________
20) I ACCEPT AND AGREE TO YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS: http://www.upakweship.com/terms.htm
21) SIGNED____________________________________________

22) PASSPORT OR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (FOR US CUSTOMS PURPOSES) _______________

23) DATE OF BIRTH (FOR US CUSTOMS PURPOSES) ___________________
24) TODAY’S DATE________________

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 am

Nathalie

Always be careful when delivering into a warehouse and the warehouse is going to be palletizing the goods for you. The charges are going to be based on the gross volume, after the warehouse has placed everything on to pallets and shrink wrapped them or into crates for shipping purposes. The way the items are stacked and the size of the crate used is what you pay your charges on. Be sure you can watch the loading of your goods and be there when they measure the goods for shipment.

The easiest way to have a larger than expected bill is to have the loaders load the shipment with a few empty spaces and thus increase your volume! A single 12" high carton by itself on a stacked pallet can add 13 cubic feet to your bill, if the carton is 16" high it becomes an extra 17 cubic feet. You could end up paying several hundred dollars for a small carton of unimportant items.

Also ask Upakweship the name of the agent they will use in Switzerland to arrange the customs clearance and delivery? Also ask if the shipment will be sent directly to Switzerland or via a shared container into any port first then forwarded inland? I did not see anything regarding transit time so you would need to ask about this as well.

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue May 13, 2008 5:07 am

In addittion to what HardAtWork said, I would verify on number 8 what the minimum volume is:
8 ) MINIMUM CHARGE__USD 13.50 MINIMUM___

It seems there is a blank after the second "minimum" that needs to be filled in.

Return to “International Moves”