Any Experience with Best Price Moving??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
trekkingonearth1313

Any Experience with Best Price Moving??

Postby trekkingonearth1313 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 pm

So far they seem legit in all the research I have done. I am looking to do a long distance move from IL to TX and am trying to filter the best companies. Anyone have any experience with Best Price Moving and Storage?? Also, are there any other companies you would reccommend? Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Any Experience with Best Price Moving??

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Do a search on "best price moving" in quotes and see what's been said.

Spazdoc

Postby Spazdoc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:28 pm

I will post my experience here, since it is from a prior move and there are no recent posts here.

Run, run, run far away if you are even considering this company for a move!

My wife had already used BPM&S to store her items prior to my move to the east coast. As a result, we used this ‘service’ for our move. I did not have much to move, so I pretty much agreed. Fortunately, we had catalogued our items well, including adding insurance to an expensive, large painting that needed moving. Additionally, we would have moved the items ourselves, except for the fact that there were a few very heavy items that we did not want to move ourselves. As a result, we accepted the initial estimate of $4000 for moving from Chicago to East Coast. This was to be paid by cash on arrival (no check or credit card accepted).

I knew the located where we were moving to is a little tight, and parking would be a huge problem for a moving truck. So I contacted BPM&S a month ahead of time to make sure that they had the proper clearance/reservation on the street to make sure we can hold a section of the street for the move. The girl that answered me initially sounded clueless, and assured me that the movers will know what to do. I reiterated that driving on the street is not the problem, but reserving street space to park the truck is a problem – I made sure she understood I liked on a busy city street. I obtained the necessary info for this moving permit myself from the destination city, and called back. I called BPM&S a total of 4 times about this issue, including giving detailed instructions on the process, and I was assured each time that the movers would have the proper permits.

The movers came to my home and added to the other items to be shipped professionally. My wife and I drove to the destination, and the items were promised within 7 days, and the driver arrived after 10 days. The problem? His ‘crew did not show up.’ So it was only the driver (to keep the full $4000, obviously). This idiocy went on for 3 days – the driver even suggested that it be quicker if I just move the items with him – and he refused to reduce the fee of $4000!! I told him that if he is not cutting the price then I am not touching a thing (he wanted me to help move the heavy items we specifically hired movers to move). My wife and I just became fed up with this, called the home office in Chicago, and basically gave them an ultimatum to return our items. The driver them finally brought the items, and LITERALY PAID 2 HOMELESS GUYS on the street to help move things. I had to make sure that the movers did not steal anything or try anything in the house. My wife was hiding in the bedroom (she was sick of the situation and the homeless guys smelled awful).

Additionally, the movers never did ANYTHING to reserve parking or obtain moving permits for my street, so we had to try and block off portions of the street for the 3 days that the driver jerked us around. We kept parking our car out front for 3 days, but we kept having to move the car (2 hour parking limit) during that time. Luckily, two spots opened up in front of our building while the driver was looking, and he was able to double-park the truck.

Lastly, we had a full 10% of our boxes not show up at the destination – including our expensive painting. Fortunately, I had the item insured by our homeowners insurance, so the moving company took the heat from our insurance company. Legs on the couch were broken, but otherwise things arrived without any major damage.

I could not warn people enough about the negligent, disrespectful, idiotic, and horrible moving service. The storage is acceptable.

As an aside, we are moving back to the area with about 25% more items and going with a national, full service moving company, and they are doing a multiple-location move like before. Our quote - $5000. Best Price Moving my butt.

zarakand

Postby zarakand » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I'll add to this as I just received a call from them today. Initially I had used google to find movers and talked with Best Price Moving about a move from the Chicago area to Roanoke, Va.

After a bit of research, I decided to go with a national full service carrier and am in the process of choosing one. The call from them was unexpected and it began with the representative stating that my previous point of contact was no longer with Best Price Moving, and he wanted to offer me a good deal on my move.

When I informed him about the BBB complaints and negative reviews on Yelp. He stated the complaints on BBB were only there because they refused to pay for a BBB membership, and now the BBB was out to make them look bad. He also stated Yelp was getting sued and would no longer exist by the end of the year due to how they mistreat movers and other companies.

At the end of our conversation, when I told him I was choosing to go with a national full-service carrier he stated that none of those carriers do the volume of moves Best Price does and therefore can not be compared. He stated that Best Price had done 36,000 moves and even though there were a few complaints it was a small number compared to their total number of moves.

I ended our call by reiterating that I was not interested in doing business with them. From our phone call and other reviews about this compnay, I feel that they are not a quality operation and do not recommend them.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Looking at the FMCSA they have some complaints too. Maybe that's because they are out to get them also.

At the end of our conversation, when I told him I was choosing to go with a national full-service carrier he stated that none of those carriers do the volume of moves Best Price does and therefore can not be compared

They have 20 trucks.

I just have to laugh compared to the number that the national carriers have and they can make that type of statement. Sounds like some re-education camp is needed.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Pug Mania

Postby Pug Mania » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 am

This move, by far, was the worst we have ever experienced. Take your money and your possessions and run as fast as you can from this company! They ruined our furniture because their truck had a hole in the roof causing tremendous water damage and now we're stuck with $105.00 compensation and unusable furniture. The driver did not do a pre-trip inspection of the truck before he came to load our possessions, had he, he would have seen the hole in the roof. But that's not all, several items were broken, boxes were crushed and some of our other furniture was damaged. I looked in the back of the truck when they arrived (non-consolidated move) and it looked as though they just threw the boxes in the truck. I understand shifting during transit, but this was beyond shifting, this was sheer carelessness. They scratched up the walls and hardwood floors! They left their trash (water bottles, packing tape spools, cardboard, etc) laying around that my husband and I had to clean up. They just didn't care! If you're smart and value what you've worked so hard for, do not let this company touch your belongings![/b] One would think that for the amount of money we paid for the move they would have taken better care of our stuff!!!!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Unfortunately, dollars can no longer be equated with value.

There was a time you actually got the value associated with what you paid.
Now you can get better value only when you do your homework and compare costs to value.. not cost to cost.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Was this the company that moved you?

Name : BEST PRICE MOVING & STORAGE, INC.
USDOT Number : 693651
MC # : 321559

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address : 3912 W MCLEAN STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60647
Mailing Address : Same as above
Telephone : (773)661-0750
Fax : (773) 274-1827

Safety and Insurance

Safety Rating : Not Rated
Review Date :
Most recent Safety Rating Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing & Insurance Status : Registered
Most recent Insurance Data

Fleet Size

Number of Trucks : 10
Number of Tractors : 10
Number of Trailers : 10

Household Goods Complaint History

The National Consumer Complaint Database (NCCDB) allows consumers to file complaints regarding household goods moving companies, including brokers, carriers and freight forwarders. This system also allows HHG companies the ability to view the individual details of the complaints and to challenge duplicate or fraudulent complaints. In order to access this system, please visit: http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov.

The following table reports the number of complaints lodged in the NCCDB against the selected HHG company. When making comparison between companies, it is important to take into account the size of the companies. Larger companies are capable of handling more moves; and therefore, are more likely to have complaints lodged against them. The data shown above under fleet size can be used for assessing the size of a company.

Year Total Complaints a
2011 6
2010 10
2009 15
2008 18
2007 18
2006 6
2005 17
2004 11
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Lol, I didn't know drivers were supposed to climb on top of the roof for pre trip inspection :-)
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Ry, you can't tell there's a hole in it by standing inside the trailer?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Most of the time its not a hole, but a leak in the seams. No, you would not notice it until it rained. It happens, never happened to me, but certainly it happens. During a pre trip inspection, you are not looking for that anyway, you are looking to make sure the functionality of the truck is road safe. You dont go inside the trailer or back of the truck (if its a straight truck)

Please don't mistake my comment as defending these guys.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Open Community”