SCAM ALERT: A Golden Hand Moving & Storage / Orbit Vanlines

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
gigamanx

SCAM ALERT: A Golden Hand Moving & Storage / Orbit Vanlines

Postby gigamanx » Tue May 27, 2008 10:32 am

I just moved from Colorado to Florida and had simply the worst experience of any move I've had (and I've moved 25+ times). After reading the forums and "The True Story", I believe this moving company have pulled the same scam on me!

(This is long winded as it is also an account of what transpired for my own records. Long story short, do not trust Orbit Vanlines or A Golden Hand Moving & Storage in Colorado)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Three weeks prior to my move, I got a quote from Orbit Vanlines. The quote for moving as many of the goods as I could remember was 600 sq. ft. at $3.30 / sqft. The sales person was adament about telling me how much better it is to measure in sq ft instead of pounds when loading a truck. In addition, my motorcycle was an additional $250 flat fee. The Orbit sales person also said the price won't change if I add a few things and the quote is pretty close. Great!! I think. I had also requested a specific pick up date and delivery date as the receiving apartment building needed to schedule the elevator and staff to open the freight doors in the building. (April 26th pickup -- May 1st Delivery).

The dates were confirmed and I paid my initial 20% deposit to Orbit vanlines to schedule the move. So far, I have only agreed to a non-binding quote emailed by Orbit Vanlines. My Fiance' and I pack all our belongings and expected the movers to arrive April 26th at midday.

On Friday, April 25th, I get a call from the owner of Golden Hand Moving, Roni, who asks if he could move the goods on Sunday morning instead of Saturday. I say, no, that isn't the agreement and we had a long drive ahead of us to Florida. At 5pm on Saturday, 5 hours after the movers were supposed to arrive, the owner of Golden Hand Moving shows up in his car. Obviously irrate, I ask where the moving truck is and he jokes, "I'm going to put it all in my car". I'm not amused. I am told I can have my things moved tonight (April 26th) but the movers are tired and may break things. I finally agree to moving Sunday morning despite my agreement with Orbit Vanlines. The owner also agrees that he will arrive to oversee the move for my comfort. Before leaving for the day, the owner tries to have me sign a bill of lading even though the sq ft has not been filled out on the form nor has a final price. The owner says it will be at most 700 sq ft. I decline to sign!

...things start feeling fishy.

The movers did arrive on time and did a great job of wrapping everything tightly in the truck. The owner never shows with the final paperwork, so the movers needed to leave and so did we. An hour later I get a call from the owner saying the truck is actually 800 sq ft now that it's all packed. I say, no, that's not what I agreed and not what he told us before. I begin to question the changes in price and sq ft and the owner simply says, "I don't want your load, come and get your things". I am shocked at this statement and don't even know what to say. The owner proceeds to tell me, "You live in a nice apartment, you can find the money". Where did this guy learn to do business? At this point the scam has already begun, my things are on the truck and I have lost any leverage I have. I am already on my way to the new location and have no time to find another mover. Also, conveniently, Orbit vanlines does not work on Sundays. I agree to 800 sq ft and ask if it will arrive on the agreed date of May 1st. YES, of course, promises the owner. Keep in mind, the owner has never asked me to finish my paperwork...

Four days later, I arrive at my destination with the sinking feeling that my things aren't going to arrive at the May 1st date promised. When the date rolls around, I begin calling the movers. I finally find my things had never left Denver and they do not have a date of when my things will leave. The owner reminds me that DOT regulations allows him 30 days to deliver my goods. Of course he knows his laws, he's pulling the scam.

I spend three days yelling at both Orbit vanlines and Golden Hand Moving. Orbit continues to forward my name to new people within the company and I end up speaking with five different "management" folks before someone finally calls Golden Hand Moving to find out what happened. A new date is set with a mover coming from California; they will leave Colorado two weeks after the date we originally had on our contract. All the while, I have been living on my floor and eating from paper plates. I ended up buying a frying pan just so I could cook some things.

Oh, it's not over yet.....The truck is packed in Denver and I am told the load takes over 900 sq ft of the truck, but the mover is willing to only charge me for 900 sq ft. I hesitantly agree to change the contract again knowing that my things are in the hands of pirates and may or may not ever arrive in my new home. When the truck arrives in Florida, the movers arrive 12 hours after their scheduled arrival time and long after the apartment building has closed for the evening. We are told we'll be charged for overnight storage since our things have arrived but we couldn't take delivery. Once again, I start a temper tantrum and am at my wits end. The mover agrees to deliver in the morning and no charge.

Just when I think we are done, the mover tells me that the giant 52ft truck cannot park close enough to my apartment and a 400 ft long carry will be charged at an additional $900. If I don't agree to this price, the mover has to store my goods until I pay and I will have to pay for the storage also. What else am I to do but accept this ridiculous charge. All the while I have been reading and re-reading my mover contract with the stark reality that this is all legal!

For those of you not keeping track, here's the run down

Initial Quote: $1980 + $250 Motorcycle
Second Quote: $2,310 + $250
Third Quote after the truck was loaded: $2,640 + $250
Fourth Quote for interstate move: $2,970 + $250 + $350 in packing (where did that come from?)
Fifth Quote after delivery: $2,970 + $250 + $350 + $900 long carry

My final price $4,470!!! $2,240 more than I was quoted and my things arrived three weeks after the agreed date

We end up getting our things, AND very little is broken thank goodness. This has been hell, but we are finally moved in and enjoying Florida. I don't expect to see any of my money back, but I have filed complaints with BBB and FMCSA.

MusicMom

Re: SCAM ALERT: A Golden Hand Moving & Storage / Orbit Vanlines

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am

Well, this is interesting.

Orbit Vanlines is actually called Orbitz Van Lines (another shining example of stealing a name from a known company in another field), at 930 Newark Ave, Jersey City, New Jersey. Their DOT# is 1743209, and their MC# is 638354. The interstate license was granted TODAY. And, to top it all off, they are currently listed as Out of Service, which means they are not supposed to be operating commercial vehicles between states. They didn't even have BIPD or Cargo insurance until 2 weeks after your move was supposed to have been delivered to your new house.

This is probably why they subcontracted you to Golden Hand. Technically, I don't think they were legally allowed to advertise and take your move for an interstate move, because they could not have performed it themselves. In essence, they operated as a broker without having a broker's license. A sub-contracted mover is used when the original company finds they cannot complete the move they started.

I did a search at this site and found older discussions of A Golden Hand Moving in CO. Back in June of 2005 (a year and a half before receiving their interstate license) they were apparently pulling the same scam on customers. A former employee detailed the everyday occurrences:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4768

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 am

They followed the script perfectly, Speilberg couldn't have ochestrated it better.......You have been the victim of the hostage load scam....and the money you spent will help some crooks enjoy a nice laugh and pay for their next vacation, at your expense.

coolgenner

Postby coolgenner » Tue May 27, 2008 12:03 pm

thanks for the heads up, we are moving from Colorado to Florida ourselves. After getting ripped off on the move here, we went with a big name company this time.
New Jersey the cess pit of scummy movers!

gigamanx

Postby gigamanx » Tue May 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Good luck on the move from Denver. Don't feel too bad about the higher price, my move ended up costing the same as some of the big movers anyway.

Maya

Postby Maya » Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 pm

Thank you so much for such a detail but sad story, my heart breaks after reading your post and frustration you must have gone through and god bless you for this post we are moving in 10 days and Roni just visited us with all his sweet talks etc gave us quote, he was in our choice list but sure enough he is OUT and OUT forever...

and good that you are enjoying FL - all cheers forget past as bad dream and enjoy life

THANK YOU again
Maya

gigamanx

Postby gigamanx » Sat May 31, 2008 7:21 am

Good for you Maya. I wish you the best of luck and was glad my story could help you avoid the same crazy story I have. :)

Samsponsimp

Postby Samsponsimp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 am

Golden Hand MOving and storage has scammed me also.

For one, I booked through World Wide Van Lines, who quoted 3108 pounds (1 BR apartment, that estimated weight being likely well over what I had).

I paid $444 deposit, and it claimed I owed $1000 at moving. This was said to include everytihng, including gas.

Moving day comes, and Golden Moving and Storage is the one doing the moving. They also tried to get me to move 2 weeks earlier than I was moving out, but I had to live there for 2 weeks.

Prior to getting my stuff (which was a month after I moved but it was just going to storage so that wasn't a big deal), I got a price of $1744 of what I owed, that on top of the $444. So $1400 went to about $2200 (I actually forgot about the deposit since it was 2 months later). I had seen on one of the news networks a report about this type of scam by so called "moving brokers". Great.

So, my stuff comes. The next day I get a call from Roni claiming "I've been watching your move closely and we made a mistake, the weigh was 4100 pounds and you owe an additional $1000, which he charged to my credit card, which I did not authorize. There is no way in hell, my 1 BR apartment with nothing heavy other than a futon, weighed 4000 pounds. Friends have moved 2 BR condos that only weighed 2100 lbs, no way my stuff weighed that much. So a $1400 quote which was duable is not $3200, after the fact mind you. AFter they have my stuff, and after they move it, they try to pull this. The move by the way was 800 miles, I've had friends move the same or more stuff from 1000 miles away for only $1700.

I am so pissed,I'm currently unemployed and the only reason I went this route compared to moving with a UHAUL was because it was only a couple hundred dollars more than the UHAUL and having movers do it was a plus. This is such a scam, the BBB is going to hear from me. How can these companies still be allowed to be in business pulling this nonsense?

Bottom line DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH GOLDEN HAND MOVING AND STORAGE and WORLD WIDE VANS.

I also noticed one of the charges was storage. How is it my responsibility to pay for storage when its you waiting on the delivery? HOly shit I'm waiting for this company to call me back because I'm going to raise hell. Helps being unemployed, I have time to get them to pay

gigamanx

Postby gigamanx » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:43 am

I feel for you with the moving. Sorry you had to experience a similar story. feel free to email me and keep me posted, or at least for someone to scream with about why companies like this still exist and how they can get away with it.

Actually, I know how they get away with it. The government regulations for crossing state lines is very thin. These regulations allow for moving companies to get away with murder by working between the fine print.

I hope you get your things in one piece and you find work soon. I'm sure you didn't need the extra stress.

Best of luck,

J

Samsponsimp wrote:Golden Hand MOving and storage has scammed me also.

For one, I booked through World Wide Van Lines, who quoted 3108 pounds (1 BR apartment, that estimated weight being likely well over what I had).

I paid $444 deposit, and it claimed I owed $1000 at moving. This was said to include everytihng, including gas.

Moving day comes, and Golden Moving and Storage is the one doing the moving. They also tried to get me to move 2 weeks earlier than I was moving out, but I had to live there for 2 weeks.

Prior to getting my stuff (which was a month after I moved but it was just going to storage so that wasn't a big deal), I got a price of $1744 of what I owed, that on top of the $444. So $1400 went to about $2200 (I actually forgot about the deposit since it was 2 months later). I had seen on one of the news networks a report about this type of scam by so called "moving brokers". Great.

So, my stuff comes. The next day I get a call from Roni claiming "I've been watching your move closely and we made a mistake, the weigh was 4100 pounds and you owe an additional $1000, which he charged to my credit card, which I did not authorize. There is no way in hell, my 1 BR apartment with nothing heavy other than a futon, weighed 4000 pounds. Friends have moved 2 BR condos that only weighed 2100 lbs, no way my stuff weighed that much. So a $1400 quote which was duable is not $3200, after the fact mind you. AFter they have my stuff, and after they move it, they try to pull this. The move by the way was 800 miles, I've had friends move the same or more stuff from 1000 miles away for only $1700.

I am so pissed,I'm currently unemployed and the only reason I went this route compared to moving with a UHAUL was because it was only a couple hundred dollars more than the UHAUL and having movers do it was a plus. This is such a scam, the BBB is going to hear from me. How can these companies still be allowed to be in business pulling this nonsense?

Bottom line DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH GOLDEN HAND MOVING AND STORAGE and WORLD WIDE VANS.

I also noticed one of the charges was storage. How is it my responsibility to pay for storage when its you waiting on the delivery? HOly shit I'm waiting for this company to call me back because I'm going to raise hell. Helps being unemployed, I have time to get them to pay

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Sampson, your real issue is that you hired a licensed mover, who then subcontracted to an UNlicensed mover (WWVL isn't a broker, they are an actual licensed mover who just didn't feel like doing your job themselves). If you click here and click "Authority History", you can see their interstate license was revoked back in January of this year.

Please go to this website to file your complaint against BOTH movers. Not ony do you have the Unauthorized Operations complaint, but you've got a credit card fraud complaint. Incidentally, you need to submit a dispute with your credit card company for the charges you never gave permission for. I don't know what your paperwork says, but that storage charge may be in dispute as well.

Samsponsimp

Postby Samsponsimp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:32 pm

MusicMom wrote:Sampson, your real issue is that you hired a licensed mover, who then subcontracted to an UNlicensed mover (WWVL isn't a broker, they are an actual licensed mover who just didn't feel like doing your job themselves). If you click here and click "Authority History", you can see their interstate license was revoked back in January of this year.

Please go to this website to file your complaint against BOTH movers. Not ony do you have the Unauthorized Operations complaint, but you've got a credit card fraud complaint. Incidentally, you need to submit a dispute with your credit card company for the charges you never gave permission for. I don't know what your paperwork says, but that storage charge may be in dispute as well.

Well, the CC company already has been called. Another thing in my favor is it is not on my CC card, and they were only authorized for the initial $1700, specifically stated on the authorization form. I will do everything in my power to get people to notice this company and their scam. They couldn't talk to me today but will tomorrow.

kagecomm

Postby kagecomm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, here we go again! A Golden Hand LLC has gone out of business! But wait!!!...you are lucky to have found this post!! The company has resurfaced, with the very same incompetent ripoff artists running it at the back side of his property in denver colorado!!. He is now using the name Move USA LLC and the address is 9390 E Mexico ave. unit B which is one of the storage units on his property where he was previously listed (9437 E colorado Ave.) Google map it and you will see his house with a boat next to it and a red tractor trailer(moving van) sitting in the lot. Scroll up or down and you will see that it is all the same lot. He is trying,not very well I might add, that he is still the ripoff artist that he has always been. read my report under golden hand llc or go to any other scam report website to learn more about this guy. By the way, his name is roni levin, his henchman is simon, and his wife whose name I don't recall are all in on this scam.
visit my blog to see how this turns out
http://kenclutesmusings.blogspot.com/

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 pm

For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Report A Scam”