Bought ford explorer for towing, but can't

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
upset Ford owner

Bought ford explorer for towing, but can't

Postby upset Ford owner » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:50 pm

I just bought a 2003 ford Explorer for the specific task of towing my other vehicle across the country. My husband is in the military and his job has us moving every couple of months -- hence the purchase of the ford explorer and ALL accessories necessary - slip suspension, Class III hitch, ect. to tow. But Uhaul is saying that they will no longer rent to Ford Explorer owners because of too many lawsuits??!!! As far as I know, uhaul is the only company that rents trailers for towing vehicles -- so now what am I suppose to do? Is the $37,000 I invested in an Explorer wasted??? Who should I be blaming here? I'm very confussed and upset!

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Bought ford explorer for towing, but can't

Postby twalker » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:58 pm

I guess I'm confused as well... Are you trying to rent a U-Haul truck and a trailer to tow your Ford Explorer and then tow another vehicle behind that as well?!? I guess I'm just not understanding why you bought the Ford Explorer to tow your other vehicle, but then went to U-Haul to tow your Explorer.

If you're just renting a truck and want to tow your Explorer behind the truck then U-Haul definitely doesn't have the market cornered in that department. Check with Budget/Ryder (same company) and Penske. I towed my car behind a Budget truck two years ago without a hitch (so to speak).

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:05 pm

My interpretation was that she wants to use the Explorer to pull a rented car carrier trailer, which would be carrying her other car.

I reading many months ago that U-haul was no longer renting these car carrier trailers to Ford Explorer owners. So this person's report does confirm the previous postings.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:10 pm

A lady in the open forum mentioned renting a trailer from Budget (one with 4 wheels). Maybe that is an option. She is moving from Seattle I believe!

Maybe you shoulda bought a Chevy! (JJ)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:06 pm

I believe this all started when Explorers started having all those rollover problems. The new ones are much better designed, lower to the ground, wider, and use differnt tires. Is it possible to talk to the manager of the store and see if the policy is being reviewed, given the design changes to the SUV? I'm surprised it isn't ANY truck, but only the Explorers. Check into the Budget one. Maybe also ask a local construction contractor, they might know of places to rent trailers that they use for tractors and such.

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:06 pm

My personal thanks to your husband for serving our country and doing what he can to keep us safe, and to you for the sacrifices you make being married to a military man. My hat's off to both of you!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:14 pm

Read this thread:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1570

She talks about renting a truck and 4-off-the-ground trailer from ShurGard Storage, which is Budget trucks. So we know that Budget has them, too.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I called Ryder/Budget and they will only rent auto transports to use behind their trucks - not for towing behind personal vehicles. Penske said the same. Apparently only Uhaul will rent auto transports by themselves. However, Penske did say that they have a two wheel tow dolly for sale for $895.00. So - that actually might be our best option. Heck, with all the moving we'll be doing in the next year we might actually come out ahead if we just purchase it.

IMP wrote:My personal thanks to your husband for serving our country and doing what he can to keep us safe, and to you for the sacrifices you make being married to a military man. My hat's off to both of you!

Thanks for that -- with all the negative publicity everywhere, it always warms my heart to hear support!
:D

upset Ford owner

Postby upset Ford owner » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:27 pm

For clarification, the previous post was mine as well. Also, FYI, effective Dec. 22, 2003, Uhaul will not rent to Ford Explorers -- period.. trailers, auto transports, nothing. According to a rep at Penske, Uhaul lost 4.5 million because of a lawsuit in which a Ford Explorer was towing a minivan and flipped. Ford will not confirm or deny that and neither will Uhaul. Uhaul simply said they can no longer afford to associate with Ford Explorers due to litigation because of damage. Not a comforting thought for a Ford owner.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:54 pm

For $900 or so you could have the car shipped on a car carrier!
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:06 pm

Havnt posted in forever. Hi there i am a current employee of uhaul. The reason uahul dosnt rent trailers or towing equipment behind ford explorers is because of the negative perception given off by the explorer. there is really no saftey issue because the explorer certainly has the cabacity to tow, uhaul just dosnt want the negative image of the explorer to be associated with their trailers.

Uhual has the market cornered on the enclosed trailers, none of our competitors rent them, YET. maybe they will start soon seeing how there is money to be madce in trailer rentals.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:17 pm

Hi, Mr U-Haul!

Welcome back. If you look at our thread on rental vans (sticky at the top of the messageboard) you will see that your remarks are featured there and in fact they make up most of the thread.

When you last posted, I didn't realize that there was a whole best-selling book about the Shoen family, including the mysterious murder of one family member.

Postby guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:09 pm

I didnt know there was a book either though i have heard alot of the drama..l. I will check out that thread.

Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:33 pm

I'm just wondering what the big deal is with U-Haul not wanting to be associated with Ford Explorers. And I can't figure other things out. I owened a 99 Explorer (I LOVED that vehicle) I would still have it had it not been for a massive oak tree during hurricane Charley landing on it and smashing it like a pancake. All it took was someone that flipped the vehicle to claim a lawsuit and then everyone else that flips an Explorer thinks that it's something to do with the vehicle and/or tires. Which starts a massive investigation and lawsuit against ford and the tire manufacter. But here's the thing, people can sue for ignorant reasons (coffee, poptarts, and RV's with cruise control) and WIN, but us honest people that get scammed by movers can't because we don't have a ligit case.
Justice on the run

Return to “Report A Scam”