Hall Lane Moving in Commack

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Barbie Champlin

Hall Lane Moving in Commack

Postby Barbie Champlin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm

I used Hall Lane (United agent) based on recommendations from this site for my move from NY to Raleigh, NC. Unfortunately, on moving day, we got a truck and workers from Hillside Moving and Storage - a different United agent. I was a little upset b/c we expected workers from Hall Lane but the Hillside workers seemingly did a good job. Our stuff arrived today (9 days after the pickup) with an entirely different crew who also were not Hall Lane workers. So far, we have only found damage to my microwave cart. The big problem I am having is that the crew left without putting anything back together. My husband was alone with our twin infants so he did not have a chance to inspect everything immediately. Shortly after they left, he noticed that they did not re-assemble our bed, a crib, a kitchenette and a dining room table. These were all items that they took apart to move and were supposed to put back together. Additionally, they took the front door off of the house to bring items in and then walked back out the front door to leave without bothering to put it back on. My husband began calling the driver within 15 minutes of him leaving but the driver did not pick up. I called Hall Lane and spoke with Al Hall and he said it wasn't his crew so he would have to make some calls. The driver finally called my husband and apologized profusely but did not offer to come back and finish the job. Al Hall called back and apologized profusely and said he was going to file a complaint against the other crew's agent. I kept mentioning that we paid for this service and we tipped the workers but Al Hall did not offer to refund any money. So, I got lip service apologies but nothing more and my husband had to spend hours putting our furniture back together again. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with the service we received and the lack of any really help in resolving the matter.

ArchieWhite

Re: Hall Lane Moving in Commack - Beware

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:58 am

The driver was probably hurrying to his next stop, they do that sometimes.....File a claim for the time your husband spent putting the stuff together......list his hours and the rate per hour at about $35....your file should already be documented by the phone calls already made, and I would think they would honor a reasonable reimbursement for the labor, as similar to a claim......you might have to put it on a claim for, but those can be emailed instantly.....call the destination agent and ask for a claim form......document it like you did here.

Diane

Re: Hall Lane Moving in Commack - Beware

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:24 am

This is not a scam but poor service - the driver was in a hurry and didn't do what he should have done. Barbie, was the driver who delivered from Hillside or was he from some other United/Mayflower company? In other words, who was the destination agent? This situation is not Hall-Lane's fault because it was just the booking and origin agent. Therefore I am removing the word "Beware" from the topic title and am moving this post to Open Community from where it was initially posted in the Report a Scam forum. If this isn't done, Google will pick up the topic title and it could give Hall-Lane unfair bad publicity.

However, I must point out that this is just another example of how responsibility is often divided between agents in the van line system. The customer hires one company but the shipment is hauled by another company that the customer has no prior knowledge of. If people look through Hall-Lane's reviews on the Superlist, there is another complaint about a case where this happened.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Re: Hall Lane Moving in Commack

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 am

If they will file a claim for the labor they spent putting stuff together, I bet they would get reimbursed.....not what they paid for, but its better than nothing.....

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:23 am

Understanding that your husband was watching the twin infants, you did say that it was a different crew from the origin crew. Ultimately, the shipper should take the time out before signing paperwork to make sure everything is where they want it and assembled. It is very common that COD shippers will have everything dissassembled prior to loading, in which case, the movers would not reassemble it.

I understand your disappointment with not having your furniture reassembled, but at the same time, it really isn't the end of the world. Do what Archie says and see what happens.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 am

Good point, Ryan - the driver may not have known that the items were to be reassembled - but that doesn't explain leaving the front door off its hinges.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Barbie Champlin

Postby Barbie Champlin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks for all of the replys. Archie - who do we file the claim with and how do we do it? Is it Hall Lane or the destination agent? I had to come back to NY before the movers arrived so I have no idea who the destination agent was but we paid for most of the move before by credit card through Hall Lane and then paid a few hundred COD. Thanks again for everyone's help.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 am

I can say that i've forgotten to put a front door back on. The shipper called me and I wasn't out of the neighborhood yet. I pulled over and ran back to the house and put it back on for them. If I would have been further away, I would have apologized and asked if they were capable of doing it. After looking at the doorway without it on all day, it doesn't always jump right out at you. I've also forgotten a $110 set of tools at the shippers house. People forget, not excusing it, but it happens. I recommend to all to at a bare minimum, take a quick gander around the house, make sure everything is to your satisfaction. Once the movers leave, it is usually too late.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:26 am

I've forgotten to put a front door back on, and I lived in the house. I wondered why there were so many bugs. It'd been left off for about 4 hours by that point.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 am

Barbie, look on your bill of lading, at the bottom left side there is a place for the origin agent and phone number, and the destination agent and phone.....I would go thru the destination agent, just call them, ask for their claim dept, and tell them what you told us, and that you would like to file for reimbursement of the labor for putting the stuff together....It should not be hard, we run into that situation a few times a year, and thats how we handle it....If you run into any snag, send me a PM, I'm a United/Mayflower agent too, I can probably help. (If I knew your ref # or last name, I could see who the driver was)

BTW, We work with Hall Lane on anything we have into or out of that area, they are a good company, have good people, and what happened to you is bad, no question, but it's really not Hall Lanes fault, its just a service failure...and for any reason if the destination agent cant help, the home office will be our next place to petition.....

Barbie Champlin

Postby Barbie Champlin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that United has agreed to send us an "Inconenvenience settlement" in the amount of $100. It's not much but at least they did offer something. After talking further to my husband, it turns out that the movers even left stuff on my front lawn that he had to haul inside. The funny thing is that no one knows who the driver used for labor. According to the paperwork, he was going to use McCollisters Transportation but McCollisters said that he did not contact them. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Return to “Open Community”