Good experience with Chipman Relocations - Sacramento to Portland

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Joel5000

Good experience with Chipman Relocations - Sacramento to Portland

Postby Joel5000 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of months, but I've been really busy since our move. After reading various reviews on this site, I booked our move from Sacramento to Portland with Sacramento United-agent Chipman Relocations. I received a binding estimate for around 6900 lbs. I also got an estimate from another agent of a national van-line, and their estimate was closer to 9000 lbs. I was perplexed by the difference, but since Chipman had great reviews and was quite a bit cheaper, we went with them. We almost didn't use Chipman because their estimator was a little bit flaky (cancelled two appointments on the day of the estimate, used profanity during the estimate), but we figured we wouldn't have to deal with him after we booked the move. We also had to call him twice to get him to bring us a load of used boxes that he promised us. Oh well, that was our only complaint.

Our move was loaded on a Saturday in mid January. We were not flexible on the load date, and Chipman was able to accomodate us by guaranteeing the load date. They did say that they probably would not have been able to do that during the busy time of the year. Our driver, Emery, arrived right on time, along with a friendly father-son loading crew. They were extremely careful with our belongings, and took their time loading the truck. We packed all of our boxes, but the movers carefully wrapped our furniture and boxed our mattresses. Emery was cheerful and talkative the entire time, and seemed to enjoy his work.

The load was delivered in Portland on Tuesday morning, as promised. Our load was the last on the truck, and first off, so the transport time was minimal. The local crew unloading were pleasant and efficient despite our poor packing which resulted in boxes which were way too heavy (I still feel bad about this, and will use more small boxes next time).

The move was a great success: no breakage and minimal stress. We also got a great deal, as our load weighed in at a little over 10,000 lbs, so I don't think CHipmans did well financially on our move. Still, it was an overall positive experience, and I would use them again.

Thank you to all the posters on this website that most likely kept me from hiring a scam internet company.

Big Dog

Re: Good experience with Chipman Relocations - Sacramento to Portland

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm

The salesman didn't do very well financially, because the Agent (Chipman) usually makes the salesman make up any shortfall of the $$ 8)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Enjoy Portland. I miss the view of Mt. Hood.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Salesman bound it at 6900 lbs and it weighed 10,000? You are probably right, Chipman didnt do too well financially on your move. Unfortunately, it was probably the driver that took the biggest hit...even if the salesman had to forfeit some of his commission, all he had invested was a little personal time, and a few gallons of gas. The driver may have had hundreds of dollars of fuel and labor involved, Truck payments, insurance, loss of other tonnage that your shipment occupied free of charge, etc.

Mark yourself down as lucky. This was a reverse scam, the salesman scammed the driver.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Maybe Emery is one of those drivers that prefers to have his holes filled than to get fair compensation for his efforts? :wink:
Hats off to him, and to his happy customer.
The success of this move lies on the Chipman's and the driver, not the potty-mouthed, appointment-cancelling, used box-promising sales rep.
Glad to hear it went well.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Joel5000

Postby Joel5000 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:26 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:Salesman bound it at 6900 lbs and it weighed 10,000? You are probably right, Chipman didnt do too well financially on your move. Unfortunately, it was probably the driver that took the biggest hit...even if the salesman had to forfeit some of his commission, all he had invested was a little personal time, and a few gallons of gas. The driver may have had hundreds of dollars of fuel and labor involved, Truck payments, insurance, loss of other tonnage that your shipment occupied free of charge, etc.

Mark yourself down as lucky. This was a reverse scam, the salesman scammed the driver.

Yeah, I actually felt really bad for Emery, as he couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful throughout the move. I'm going to look at my paperwork again and confirm that it was bound at 6900 lbs (I'm working from memory here), but I do know for sure that the weight was significantly over the estimate. I'll update if I was wrong.

Diane

Re: **Good experience with Chipman Relocations - Sacramento to Portland

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 am

Joel,

Even at this late date, you could write a note to Chipman Sacramento telling the owner pr manager how pleased you were with Emery's cheerful service when faced with a larger than expected shipment. That might do a lot to salvage the situation.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 pm

I don't see anywhere that the driver filed a protest. If he didn't, it would be his choice, and he would be bound by the bottom line estimated cost.

I worked for Chipman, and, unless the policy has changed, Jim Weiant maintains a strict 10% variance on estimates. However, if the driver didn't protest the order, the only sanction the sales person would suffer would be at the next sales meeting when he would have to explain why his estimate was off.

If the driver didn't protest, it was probably due to the fact that it wasn't going far, and it could have filled him out.

The driver (if he is a Chipman driver) could have filed an internal protest, in which case he would be made whole, and the agency and sales person take the hit. Mostly the sales person. If you want to pm me and give me your order for service number, I can check it out for you and see what the bottom line was.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”