Sales rep badmouthing competitor -- anyone know this company?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ncurtis

Sales rep badmouthing competitor -- anyone know this company?

Postby ncurtis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 pm

I received a quote from a Wheaton agent, Move Pros, of 10,000 #, then later another quote from Bekins Tri-Valley of 11,000#. The price Move Pros gave me was $5,821. Bekens quoted $7,200. When I told Bekens agent that Wheaton had given the lower bid, the rep started badmouthing Wheaton, told me that he'd be surprised if a driver even showed up, that if a driver showed up that he/she would refuse to move my stuff. Should I pay heed to any of this? Anyone have any experience with either of these movers? Also waiting for a quote from Golden Gate Allied out of Concord. Any experience with them?

Single girl moving alone!

Rick

Re: Sales rep badmouthing competitor -- anyone know this company?

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Move Pros is the smaller and less organized of the two companies. Although the managers have plenty of industry experience, you might want to arrange another estimate. The Bekins sales person is referring to a weight protest by the Wheaton driver because s/he apparently estimated more weight. The idea is basically true in any van line. Average the weights of the three estimates. If the variance doesn't exceed 500 lbs than don't worry too much about it.

When making your carrier selection, don't choose the company with the the lowest price. Pick the carrier with the best value.

MusicMom

Re: Sales rep badmouthing competitor -- anyone know this company?

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:10 pm

I would drop the Bekins agent just on that fact, and let the salesperson's supervisor know that this attitude is what lost them a job.

Every mover/vanline has little things that might happen at any time on any move. But for one salesperson to say it wil happen for the sole purpose of getting your money themselves in unethical and scummy.

smatwilly

Re: **Sales rep badmouthing competitor -- anyone know this company?

Postby smatwilly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 pm

I am a sales "person" who also does estimates--I would never & have never bad mouthed my competition! It just puts you on a much lower level & looks bad on your part! I too would toss his quote---it would make me wonder what the rest of the people who work there are like. Competition is a good thing! Keeps people honest!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Smat, you have my vote for the Salesperson Hall of Fame, if there ever is one. Let me know if you see any of my salespeople in it, they keep telling me about their qualifications.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm

LOL - Thanks for the vote Archie! I just hope if Im voted in they dont check for steroid use! :oops:

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 am

Smat, What's wrong with you? If you teach the bad-mouthing sales reps to clean up their act, they'd book more moves, which may equate to less for you and me :wink:

For years, we've had a competitor bad mouth us, and in some very creative ways. Likely because he was frustrated by losing so much business to us, and not on price. We've never called him on it, because the smart consumers recognize what it is, book with us anyway, and share their stories about the other reps shennanigans.

I agree with MusicMom. Get other estimates, and find a rep and company that gives you confidence in their abilities and their professionalism.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 am

I think you are all making judgements without knowing enough of the facts in this case.

What this sales person did in escence is not unethical or scummy at all in my opinion. I think he could have phrased it better & more politely. But what the Bekins rep was doing was nothing more than what we all do here. Forewarning the customer of the problems that can arise and what to look for to prevent it.

I am a very ethical sales person and am well known for it. I also am very accurate estimating weight. If a customer of mine tells me I'm significantly higher on the estimated weight than the competition, I'm going to tell them of the problems and additonal charges they can encounter if the shipment weight has been low-balled & what to look for to ensure they are not taken advantage of. Seems to me this is basically what the Bekins rep was doing here.

Now if he said things like the competition is a bunch of losers, never do good moves or personal things like that....that is what I call nonsensical bad mouthing.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:52 am

When I told Bekens agent that Wheaton had given the lower bid, the rep started badmouthing Wheaton, told me that he'd be surprised if a driver even showed up, that if a driver showed up that he/she would refuse to move my stuff.

It looks like the Bekins salesperson said all this after they heard a competitor had a lower price. What would be the sound reasoning behind saying that competitor's truck won't show up at all?

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:03 am

Like I said, I think he could have phrased it better. The part about the truck not showing up was going too far. But the part about a the driver not loading the shipment could very well be true if the Wheaton agent low-balled the estimate and did not give the shipper a legible, detailed inventory of what is to be moved. It's unfortunate, but this happens all too often.

I think the basic point here is that the Bekins rep was just giving the shipper something to consider for her own good. What if, based on the Bekins rep warnings, the customer decided to scrutinize the Wheaton rep's inventory for accuracy and discovered that there were ommisions? Then the Bekins rep did the customer a huge favor by alerting the customer. See what I mean?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am

Saying he could have "phrased it better" is a bit understated. As the customer reported it, it does not sound like a case of giving the customer something to mull over, it soulds like intentionally trying to scare the customer away from Wheaton.

What if, as a result of wanting to look harder at the movers' record, Ms. Curtis looked at Bekins, discovered that they have more complaints than Wheaton (356 at ProtectYourMove vs 56, including a number of hostage loads!), and even stiffed some vendors out in CA, and knew that her gut was right when she was initially turned off by the salesperson's bad attitude?

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Troy, you made some good points. We should not be quick to judge what could have been an intention to help a customer avoid a problem by selecting another mover based on a lower weight.

From what I read, however, I do trust ncurtis' judgement as bad mouthing being what they heard. "I'd be surprised if the driver even showed up" is very different from "let me help you understand the possible outcomes of securing a mover with the lowest weight".
Comments like that are insulting to a consumer who is doing the right thing by comparing other companies before making their choice.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:24 pm

I understand what Troy is saying as well.

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:35 pm

No doubt about it.....the attitude and the manner in which these misgivings are proffered is what it's all about. I just wasn't able to guage the salesperons attitude from the post.

promover2

Postby promover2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:26 am

MusicMom wrote:Saying he could have "phrased it better" is a bit understated. As the customer reported it, it does not sound like a case of giving the customer something to mull over, it soulds like intentionally trying to scare the customer away from Wheaton.

What if, as a result of wanting to look harder at the movers' record, Ms. Curtis looked at Bekins, discovered that they have more complaints than Wheaton (356 at ProtectYourMove vs 56, including a number of hostage loads!)

That could mean that Bekins does more moves than Wheaton. The issue is whether Bekins has a higher percentage of claims than Wheaton. That said, the salesman crossed the line a bit, but was merely giving his opinion as well as pointing out the possible down-side to a low-ball estimate. If I were the Wheaton agent, I would just say, if that's the case, I will bite the bullet and compensate the driver for the difference, which is what the van lines do, so no worries Mr. Customer.

Return to “Open Community”