shuttle charges?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
swoozies

shuttle charges?

Postby swoozies » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 am

First of all, this forum has been my guide throughout the process of moving and has been a real help..and I am so thankful :) I will post a review of my move by Atlantic Relocation once I'm done unpacking!

I moved my stuff from GA to WA using Atlantic Relocation (Atlas Agent) and it was put in storage in WA at the warehouse of another Atlas Agent (Ace Relocation) and delivered to our apartment by Ace. I have only been dealing with the coordinator from Atlantic Relocation and I just got an email from Atlantic saying they had been advised by Ace Relocation that they used a shuttle at delivery and therefore they will be adding shuttle charges. When Ace Relocation delivered our stuff, I signed a sheet with additional charges but there was no charge for a shuttle. Also, the truck that was used was not an 18 wheeler, but was pretty big. I guess my question is: since our stuff was in storage and they were only delivering our goods wouldn't they have use a smaller truck anyway? Is the shuttle charge legit?

Thanks!

joesgarage39

Re: shuttle charges?

Postby joesgarage39 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 am

There are a few things that stick out for me here. One that you are residing in an apartment so the possibility that shuttle conditions are prevelant are quite the possibility for a road unit. Since you are in an apartment the likelihood of shuttle conditions existing are good for a road unit but you came out of storage. Your shipment was probably not that large so I have to question the charge. As I said it may be there are shittle conditions but they may not be applicable to you. If there was nothing said at the time of signing the paperwork then it also raises a question in my mind.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 am

I agree with your argument that if delivering a small move out of storage, a smaller truck would have been used and a shuttle wouldn't be required.
I would have this conversation (plead your case) with your coordinator at Atlantic, who would understand this, and clear it up with Ace.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 am

Someone corredt me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the van line agent have to itemize the shuttle charge on the Addendum that the shipper signs? We had a discussion about this a few weeks ago, where the Agent had the shipper sign a blank Addendum. In that case, the shipper stated that since he signed a blank form he shouldn't have to pay the shuttle. He claimed the Agent could have filled in any amount the Agent wanted. Anyway, my V/L (Orange) requires that the delivering Agent notify the Booker PRIOR to the service being performed, so that the Booker can go over the shuttle charges with the shipper. I wonder how big this shipment was. 8)

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 am

Shuttles are a big sticking item these days, if I were the customer, and was charged a shuttle without prior knowledge, and was working with a legit mover, I would raise a little cain and refuse to pay....the big van lines are backing down a lot, they are afraid of the bad publicity and they dont get the money anyway, it goes to the driver or agency that did the work, so they don't fight too hard to keep the money. We used to fight with customers over drivers long carries and stuff, and we didnt even get the money, the driver got it. We got the bad ink, the driver got the money, not a good trade. You would be surprised at how many drivers would find a way to park their truck 76 feet away from the door, in order to add a long carry charge. I dont miss that tariff item one bit.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:42 am

The application of the shuttle fee due to "Impractical Operation" normally means that the over-the-road (OTR) equipment used to transport your HHG was either too large to large to access your residence or was precluded by law or ordinance from being used. In these situations, a small vehicle is used to transfer the contents of your home to or from the larger OTR truck.

Ask them:
- what was the size of the truck that was originally sent to your apartment to deliver your things out of storage
- where (and when) were the goods transfers to the smaller truck
- how was this service explained to the party paying the bill
- why wasn't the customer given the opportunity to make other arrangements after the charges were explained

The charges aren't legitimate if your things were not transfered from a larger truck to a smaller truck to accomplish the delivery out of storage.

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 am

Just a thought.

Since this move came from storage, and was probably delivered from the storage vaults, perhaps the agent only had a 35-40 foot flatbed for this service and that size truck couldn't get close access. Only 1 of the 4 different agencies I have worked for over the years had a short flatbed for tight accesses. They all had the long flatbeds though.

swoozies

Postby swoozies » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 am

Okay so this is what the Atlantic coordinator told me: “The agency advised me that we had to do a shuttle at delivery, meaning we had to use a smaller truck to deliver the shipment; this cost is $318.72.”

My shipment was for a 2 bedroom apartment approximated at 3600 lbs. I’m not sure if this is helpful, but in response to my question about how long it would take, I remember the person who was delivering our goods telling me that our goods were packed into three bigger crates (not sure if that is the right word) and they’d finished emptying two of them and just had one more to go. There was just one truck that came to our apartment complex and that was the one that was used.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am

Thats nonsense....move coordinators usually say what they are told to say by their ops mgr or agency mgr.....if they didnt tell you ahead of time, its bogus...fight it...

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 am

And if only 1 truck came to your house, it was not shuttled.....shuttle means transfering from a big truck to a smaller truck..., didnt happen, dont pay.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Archie is right, fight this charge for sure. The crates they are referring to are called vaults and that is how your things were stored. They have straight trucks that can place three vaults in the unit and deliver with no problem thereby aleviating any shuttle. If there was not a second vehicle present to shuttle the goods then no shuttle was performed. A shuttle refers to impratical operations that are caused by conditions for the road unit, not local vehicles that can accomodate conditions. It is a bogus charge, do not pay it.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Definition of Shuttle from the Your Rights and Responsibilities book:
Shuttle Service - Use of a smaller vehicle to provide service to residences that are not accessible to the mover's normal line haul equipment (large moving vans).

swoozies

Postby swoozies » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Well I’m going to talk to the coordinator tomorrow and will update you guys on her response.
Last edited by swoozies on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:48 pm

The most important thing to mention is the fact that refers to a service provided that has to do with the road unit. The road unit refers to the large vehicle that transported your goods from origin to destination and not a local delivery out of storage.

swoozies

Postby swoozies » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanks for the input :)

So correct me if I'm wrong: A shuttle is used when a larger truck cannot access the delivery location and so a shuttle is used to move the goods from the larger truck to the final destination?

Return to “Open Community”