Collins Brothers/Atlas Van Lines in DC/VA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Veggiegirl

Collins Brothers/Atlas Van Lines in DC/VA?

Postby Veggiegirl » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Has anyone here used Collins Brothers/Atlas Van Lines in DC/VA?

For a one bedroom apartment move from DC to MA with three months storage Here are the quotes I recieved:

JK Moving - $3688
Town and Country - $3496
Collins Brothers/Atlas - $3251

I just can't seem to find any reviews of Collins Brothers and their quote had some weird issues, like very large charges for Transportation that were reduced using a "64% Bottom line Discount."

Also, the rough numbers the in-home estimator crunched with me was about $2600, way lower then his in writing quote of $3251.

Any thoughts?

joesgarage39

Re: Collins Brothers/Atlas Van Lines in DC/VA?

Postby joesgarage39 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:18 pm

I cannot speak to Town and Country because I do not have any personal knowledge with them. Having said that Collins Bros. is a company that has a long standing commitment to quality and service. The other comapny Jk is also another company that you will be pleased with. I have personal dealings with both companies and know some of the people that work at them and each in their own right is a good choice.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Here is what has been said here about companies in your area - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7122#77122 (and the following post)

Collins is a reputable company with several offices in different states. As a van line agent, its pricing structure may be different from that of independent companies like T & C and JK (both of which have good reviews here). It is normal for van line agents to quote one price and then give customers a discount off of that price. The amount of the discount can vary but is typically around 60-65% at this time of year. There is nothing shady about it. As for Collins raising the price when they gave you a Binding Not to Exceed estimate (I assume that's what it was), sales reps sometimes do that to protect themselves, in case you end up shipping more than you showed to the rep in the residence. I don't think it's a deal-breaker. However, I do feel that you might get more personal attention with JK or T & C.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Veggiegirl

Postby Veggiegirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

I am reassured about all three companies. I have phone conversations scheduled for tomorrow morning with all three. I will post back after I make my final decision, and go through with the move in two weeks.

Return to “Open Community”