NYC to Tampa Bay

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Julie10128

NYC to Tampa Bay

Postby Julie10128 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 pm

I am planning to move from Manhattan to the Tampa Bay area in early September (bad timing, I know, but that's when my apartment's lease expires) and am looking for a good moving company. A friend who moved from North Jersey to the same area used Graebel and liked them a lot, so I called them. Their minimum weight was a lot more than I have (this will be a small move) and I asked them if they could recommend a small mover.

They gave me the name and number of MiniMoves, so I looked them up at the BBB, where they had a "Satisfactory" rating. I tried calling them and left several messages, but nobody's gotten back to me. I looked up ShipSmart, and their rating wasn't spectacular either. Then I looked up Sterling Van Lines, and their rating was superior to the others. I've been lurking here and Sterling seems to be universally liked, but I was wondering about the others. Has anyone used any of these three companies and, if so, why did you choose the company you did?

I will be calling each of them, but I wanted to hear about them from a consumer's point of view.

Thanks in advance!

-Julie

Diane

Re: NYC to Tampa Bay

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:15 pm

How many pounds do you have?

Before deciding to go with a packaging and shipping company like the one you've mentioned, I would call a few regular moving companies to see how much they would charge. Companies are really busy right now booking July moves so I would wait a while since you've not moving until September. I think you'll get a better, less hurried response. I would not recommend Sterling for your shipment since they are based in Los Angeles.

You can click on the link below my name and scroll down to "New York City" and "New York - Long Island" to see what has been said here about movers in your area. NY to FL is actually a very popular route so I think you'll be able to find a regular full-service mover to move you at a reasonable cost. One company that might move you by combining your shipment with someone else's is All Star in Brooklyn, a company endorsed by this website. Again - I would advise not calling the companies now but waiting until at least the end of July.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Julie10128

Postby Julie10128 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm

I have no idea how many pounds I have. I have a bedroom set (captain's bed, nightstand and 2 dressers), a desk, a couple of antique pieces (a rocker, a small table and small mirror), books, CDs, DVDs, a DVD player, a VCR, 2 lamps, some clothing, a couple of pictures and some collectibles. In other words, not a whole helluva lot.

When I described what I have to the woman at Graebel, she said it sounded as if this load would be considerably below their minimum of 2,000 pounds. This is why I would imagine a full-service mover would not take me on.

But I'll look into All Star. Thanks for the tip.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:45 pm

It sounds like more than 2000 pounds to me so the person you talked with is off a little bit. The best thing to do is call and set up some estimates but as mentioned you have plenty of time to get this done. Right now you are not going to get the personal attention that you want and it might put a sour taste in your mouth. It is very busy right now and most are just trying to get thru each day.

Julie10128

Postby Julie10128 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks for letting me know that I don't need to make arrangements until next month. That gives me time to talk to my landlord about dates.

I did read the reviews about All Star and am quite impressed. But I am still not sure about tipping. When you say 15% (or 20%), does that mean 15% of the total cost PER PERSON? So, if the move costs $2,000, does that mean I have to give each guy $300?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:48 pm

No - total for everybody. Also, the guidelines are different for interstate moves. The 15-20% guideline is for local moves. For interstate moves, you would not tip that much because a lot of the cost is just windshield time for the guys driving the shipment down to FL. I believe that people have said that 10% (usually given at the destination) is more customary.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

minimoves2000

Postby minimoves2000 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Diane, just to make it clear. MiniMoves is an asset based, full service Moving and Storage Company we are not a pack and ship store.

Lisa, I apologize for the delay. If you still have a need for a quote you can contact me directly. We have been in business for 17 years and are members of the BBB AMSA and several state moving associations. We are often recomended by larger movers for folks moving less than the minimum charge.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

I agree with joesgarage. I'm suspecting that you do have more than 2000 lbs.

Get in-home estimates from any movers that you choose. It's more the operations people that are swamped right now, not the estimators.

I'm sure any reputable mover would be interested in helping you out. NY to FL is a power lane and there will always be a little room on a truck heading down for a small load such as yours.

Get your estimates over the next 2-3 weeks, pick the one you like, and get on their schedule by early August for an early September move.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Julie10128

Postby Julie10128 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:03 pm

I mis"spoke." Graebel's minimum was 5,000 lbs and I am pretty certain I have less than that. I keep getting referrals to Moovers and All Star and MiniMoves, so I think that those are the 3 I'll check out. It's already the 2nd week of July, so and I'm wondering when is the best time to get people in for estimates?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Wait until August.

Julie10128

Postby Julie10128 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:43 pm

farrah7031 wrote:Wait until August.

For a move date of 9/3?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:51 pm

I would. They're so busy right now with trying to catch up from all the shipments before the 4th of July I would think. Maybe a pro can comment more.

Julie10128

Postby Julie10128 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:09 pm

I have spent the better part of the past 2 weeks scouring this incredibly helpful site for the names of movers and reviews of same. Thanks to one and all who run this site. It has been a God-send.

I would like to report back on what has happened so far so that others may benefit (or not, as the case may be).

I spoke with Elvis at Dahill just this morning about my small move from NYC to Florida, and he could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Chris Blank will be paying me a visit on the 17th.

Doug at Minimoves was also very helpful, but they won't send anyone to my apartment to make a more educated assessment of my belongings than I can. He gave me an estimate, and it's definitely within my budget, but I have no way of knowing how many boxes it's going to take to get all my books, DVDs, CDs and clothing all packed up. He also said he needs an answer by next week, and that's cutting it close given that Dahill won't be at my apartment until the 17th.

The people at Shea and I corresponded via e-mail and they were very pleasant. Unfortunately, my move is too far for them, so they recommended Moovers and All Star.

AllStar turned me down because they said my move is too small. They were very polite, but they cannot help me.

Moovers sent me some forms to fill out (a "self inventory") but would not speak to me any further until I filled out the form. I have some questions about it, but nobody has yet returned my phone call.

Diane

Re: *NYC to Tampa Bay

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 pm

If it makes any difference in your mind, I've met Elvis and the others at Dahill and I know that Elvis has been working with Dahill for a long time, with good results as far as I know.

Julie10128

Re: *NYC to Tampa Bay

Postby Julie10128 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks Diane. Chris and I were unable to get together on Thursday, but I do expect him within the hour.

Return to “Open Community”