Stairhopper Movers in MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JULY

Stairhopper Movers in MA

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Has anyone ever heard of them or used them before?

They have good reviews on YELP.com:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stairhopper-mov ... airhoppers

But I'm not sure how much those can be depended on.

I am moving from MA to VA (outside of DC) and I'm looking for a good interstate moving company. Thanks!
Moving from Boston to DC : July 2008

farrah7031

Re: Stairhopper Movers in MA

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:47 pm

They've been licensed to do interstate (out of state) moves since December 2007 and only have 1 truck and 4 drivers. They don't have any complaints at the BBB, but they've only been in business since 2006. They're probably ok for short moves.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Marius Adrian Iorga d/b/a Stairhopper Movers is a relatively new, small, one truck interstate carrier. Since they just received their interstate operating authority in December 2007, you probably won’t find a lot of feedback on their interstate service performance. http://tinyurl.com/3wvg3n

Most of the reviews at other sites suggest that they are primarily a local mover.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Rick wrote:Marius Adrian Iorga d/b/a Stairhopper Movers is a relatively new, small, one truck interstate carrier. Since they just received their interstate operating authority in December 2007, you probably won’t find a lot of feedback on their interstate service performance. http://tinyurl.com/3wvg3n

Most of the reviews at other sites suggest that they are primarily a local mover.

They said they would do my move though... hmm.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Doesn't mean they can't do your move, they're licensed to. I think Rick was saying their reviews seem to be for local moves, mostly.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:58 pm

MusicMom wrote:Doesn't mean they can't do your move, they're licensed to. I think Rick was saying their reviews seem to be for local moves, mostly.

I guess I'm having an inherent problem in that - I'd like to hire a local mover like Big Foot or Gentle Giant who I can trust more and will do the whole job themselves, but then like Humboldt might be cheaper because they work with United Van Lines.... argh.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Try calling Marathon (Stevens) to see whether they will do the whole move themselves. I know the owner there, too, and feel confident about their operation.

Actually a company like Humboldt might well move the shipment itself because you are not moving very far. Ask them.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Diane wrote:Try calling Marathon (Stevens) to see whether they will do the whole move themselves. I know the owner there, too, and feel confident about their operation.

Actually a company like Humboldt might well move the shipment itself because you are not moving very far. Ask them.

I will ask them. I thought Marathon didn't have an interstate license?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Marathon's interstate license is inactive because (as a Stevens agent) it is using Stevens' authority to do interstate moves. However, there is a difference between using someone else's licensing authority and using someone else's truck and driver.

Marathon's owner, Paul Nelson, told me that he normally moves shipments going up to 600 miles using his own truck and driver. This is called a self-haul, as opposed to registering the shipment with the van line and having it moved by a Stevens truck and driver.

Before you get too involved with Marathon, I would advise you to ask whether they will give you a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate, since that is important to you. If they won't, no sense wasting the estimator's time to come out.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Diane wrote:Marathon's interstate license is inactive because (as a Stevens agent) it is using Stevens' authority to do interstate moves. However, there is a difference between using someone else's licensing authority and using someone else's truck and driver.

Marathon's owner, Paul Nelson, told me that he normally moves shipments going up to 600 miles using his own truck and driver. This is called a self-haul, as opposed to registering the shipment with the van line and having it moved by a Stevens truck and driver.

Before you get too involved with Marathon, I would advise you to ask whether they will give you a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate, since that is important to you. If they won't, no sense wasting the estimator's time to come out.

Are Binding and BNTE important? I mean, I get the feeling they are important... so there are little/no surprises and you don't get scammed, right? I'm just trying to do what's best!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:36 pm

My opinion - the type of estimate is not as important as the character of the moving company owner. However, as long as the owner is honest, having a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate does give you the peace of mind that you will not pay more than a certain amount, regardless of the weight of the shipment.

Since you seem troubled by this, it might be a good idea for you to post all of your estimates with the name of the company and the type of estimate that you were given, so we can see the whole picture.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Diane wrote:My opinion - the type of estimate is not as important as the character of the moving company owner. However, as long as the owner is honest, having a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate does give you the peace of mind that you will not pay more than a certain amount, regardless of the weight of the shipment.

Since you seem troubled by this, it might be a good idea for you to post all of your estimates with the name of the company and the type of estimate that you were given, so we can see the whole picture.

I will do that thank you for all your help. I really do trust and feel comfortable with Big Foot the most I think, but if it's going to be more than 5k I don't think I can afford it (unless my condo sells ASAP!)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Well, you could try telling Big Foot that $5K is your limit and see whether they will give you a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate. It doesn't hurt to ask. I know they said they wouldn't, but I think it's worth a try. Binding Not to Exceed is better than Binding because you have a chance of paying less if the weight is less than the estimate.

JULY

Postby JULY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Diane wrote:Well, you could try telling Big Foot that $5K is your limit and see whether they will give you a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate. It doesn't hurt to ask. I know they said they wouldn't, but I think it's worth a try. Binding Not to Exceed is better than Binding because you have a chance of paying less if the weight is less than the estimate.

They just gave me an estimate for 5k lbs for $5,500. Eeep this seems like a lot but what do I know?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:54 pm

That does seem a bit high to me. I suggest that you get a quote from Humboldt, Marathon, and Olympic to see what they say. Big Foot may be charging you more because they would not only be sending a dedicated truck with your shipment, i.e. you would be the only shipment on the truck, but they also might have to come back to MA empty. I think it would be worth getting a few more quotes. Olympic would seem promising because they have a "sister" company in VA and might be able to get a return load from them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”