Glen Ellyn Storage in Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Chicago

Glen Ellyn Storage in Chicago

Postby Chicago » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm moving from Chicago to Irvine, CA later on this month. Glen Ellyn (Mayflower agent) sent someone to my apartment to complete an estimate. I was under their 2100 lbs miminum limit. They quoted me $2382 for the move. However, the guy recommended Quality Relocation Services in Chicago who is a broker. He claimed that they would recommend people to QRS if they fall under the minimum and QRS is usually about $400-$500 cheaper.

I called QRS and found out that they would broker my move to Glen Ellyn. First, this just seems fishy to me. Second, QRS wants me to pay for the all the move up front. Is this the industry norm?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

IMP

Re: Glen Ellyn Storage in Chicago

Postby IMP » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:49 pm

Having lived & worked in that market for a few years, I wouldn't trust that agent to move my IKEA furniture.

Call your landlord and ask for a recommendation. If he/she can't give you one, call a couple of realtors in the area. If that fails - let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages (NOT THE INTERNET). There are good movers in Chicago, you just stumbled on one of the not-so-great ones.

If you are moving in June or July, though - you need to get cracking on this and stay as flexible as you absolutely possibly can. For example if you must be out by the end of the month - give the movers 10 days to work with and you'll have a better shot at getting a reputable mover.

Register for this site and folks here can send you PM's with additional information.

Tyrone

Re: Glen Ellyn Storage in Chicago

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:00 pm

I believe that Glen Ellyn was involved in a law suit involving its own drivers suing the corporate office... don't know what the outcome of that one was...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”