NYC -> MO, take 2 (estimates inside)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ajh

NYC -> MO, take 2 (estimates inside)

Postby ajh » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:56 am

hello, i posted the following estimates about a week ago. i know that people are busy here, but i would very much appreciate some input at your convenience. only one company would give me a GNTE. thank you so much!

--ajh

1. bay shore storage warehouse/allied
    • DOT = 86402, MC = 93934
    • tariff = 400N
    • wt = 2688#. transportation = $2088.79 after a 55% discount.
    • FVP = $181 w/ a $0 deductible
    • cartons (mirror carton, mattress double), packing and unpacking = $72.72 after a 55% discount
    • shuttle = $509.40 after a 55% discount
    • the estimate took about 10 minutes. no rights and responsibilities, though i asked for one. the estimator gave me guide to a good move instead.
    • total non-binding estimate = $2670.92 (strange, the arithmetic is off by $0.01...)
  2. despatch moving & storage/north american
    • DOT = 86116, MC = 92193
    • tariff = 400 104 H
    • wt = 4000#. transportation = $3036.75 after a 45% discount.
    • other services
      • manhattan, ny
        • location service charge = $382.14 after a 45% discount
        • packing material and labor (mirror carton, mattress double) = $19.74 after a 45% discount
        • 1 van, 4 men = $900
      • st. louis, mo
        • location service charge = $129.14 after a 45% discount
        • unpacking labor = $4.65 after a 45% discount
        • assemble sch 2 = $130.66 after a 45% discount
    • the estimate took about 20 minutes. 25-page rights and responsibilities was revised 6/00 and begins "The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)...
    • total non-binding estimate = $4603.08
    • he was able to also give me a GNTE = $5489.38 and includes wt = 4200#, increases in manhattan and st. louis "location service charges" as well as "1 van, 4 men" and "assemble sch 2" charges.
  3. berger transfer and storage/allied (don't ask me why i got 2 allied estimates)
    • DOT = 125665, MC = 35358
    • tariff = 400N
    • wt = 4053#. transportation = $2551.72 after a 60% discount.
    • FVP = $243 w/ a $0 deductible
    • cartons (mirror carton, mattress double), packing and unpacking = $108.41 after a 60% discount
    • shuttle = $640.60 after a 60% discount
    • the estimate took about an hour. 28-page rights and responsibilities was revised 3/04 and begins "The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)...
    • total non-binding estimate = $3543.73
  4. collins brothers moving corporation/atlas
    • DOT = 153404, MC = 51369
    • tariff = 400N/ATVL
    • wt = 4200#. transportation = $2552.44 after a 59% discount.
    • FVP = $225 w/ a $0 deductible
    • cartons (mirror carton, mattress double), packing and unpacking = $66.25 after a 59% discount
    • shuttle = $652.72 after a 59% discount
    • the estimate took about 20 minutes. upon asking, the estimator said that i would receive a rights and responsibilities in the mail, but i'm still waiting for it.
    • total non-binding estimate = $3496.41
    • this company has also won atlas' milton m. hill award 6 years in a row, including this past year.
  5. john c. murphy/paul arpin
    • DOT = 534058, MC = 234080
    • tariff = 400N
    • wt = 3200#. transportation = $2154.29 after X% discount.
    • FVP = $216 w/ a $0 deductible
    • cartons (mattress double), packing and unpacking = $35.48 after a X% discount
    • shuttle = $334 after a X% discount
    • the estimate took about 15 minutes. estimator said i would receive rights and responsibilities in the mail, but i haven't yet
    • total non-binding estimate = $2739.77

thanks again!!! -ajh

IMP

Re: NYC -> MO, take 2 (estimates inside)

Postby IMP » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:29 am

If you'll give me origin & destination zip codes, the average weight of your estimates, and what exactly you want to have packed I can get you info on the $$$'s - but the research isn't my specialty.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:19 am

Wow, I can't believe your one binding estimate is nearly double your non binding estimates. Did any of the other three companies agree to make their estimates a guaranteed not to exceed?

Berger & Collins are giving you a much better discount than Despatch is. Perhaps their GNTE price will be better as well. 60% & 59% vs. 45%.

Did the Paul Arpin agent give you a discount level?

Which carrier can meet your load date?

Natasha Fatale

Postby Natasha Fatale » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:19 am

Wow, weight estimates ranging from 2688 pounds to 4200 pounds, and price estimates of $2670.92 to $5489.38.

Bay Shore Allied (the "cheapest") is seriously lowballing you. The only way they are going to make money on this move is by socking you with a bill for two or three thousand dollars after delivery -- and that's if you pay this bill. Legally, Bay Shore will have to release your goods after you hand over 110% of $2670.92, which is $2938.02. But if they get nervous about not being able to collect on such a large bill for the remaining charges, then they may be tempted to resort to intimidation and hostage-taking at destination. Withholding the goods at destination is known to be an extremely effective way for the company to collect money. The moving company will justify it by saying, "well, you would owe it to us anyway; why should we give you a chance to stiff us after we've done all this work."

If this particular estimate is part of a larger practice, Bay Shore is taking business away from honest movers who don't lowball and is giving the industry as a whole a bad name. It is taking business away from the other Allied agent, Berger Transfer, who gave you an apparently more honest estimate. You should report this incident to Allied's headquarters. Berger Transfer at the very least will be appreciative.

Lastly -- none of your companies gave you the right Your R&R booklet. The only valid one is the one that says it is from the FMCSA, not the FHWA.

ajh

Postby ajh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:20 am

nancy: no, none of the others offered a GNTE, although i asked each of them. john c murphy/paul arpin was willing to bind it, but that meant that if the weight comes in lower, i don't get to pay a lower price. berger told me outright that he would have to overestimate the weight to guarantee that they won't lose money on it.
i do not see a discount level anywhere on the john c murphy/paul arpin estimate.
i think all of them are available on the loading date i want, but i have to verify.

natasha: reporting bay shore is a good idea. i know, no one gave me the correct R&R handbook.

thanks again!

--ajh

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:01 am

If the Paul Arpin agent was willing to bind its estimate at $2740, that seems like a good deal to me even though it wasn't a GNTE/BNTE. Is that what you mean, ajh? I know nothing about the quality of the company, but financially this seems like the best deal.

ajh

Postby ajh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 am

hmmm...that's a good point, diane. i mean, what are the chances that berger/allied or collins/atlas will come down $700 or will weigh in at 3200# given that their estimates are non-binding? not likely, i think...

i have to recheck my research on john c murphy/paul arpin...

thanks!

--ajh

ajh

Postby ajh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:31 am

diane: oh yeah, to answer the other part of your question, the estimator made it sound like the estimate was binding but not GNTE. so the estimate would not move either up or down.

thanks!

--ajh

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:48 am

I already said this on another thread, but I saw the Bayshore Allied guys doing a move in our neighborhood a few days ago that was frightening to witness. They looked like they were seriously inexperienced with loading a truck. Half the guys didn't have shirts on that said the name of the company. They were loading boxes into the truck willy-nilly and some of the boxes were buckling. I think the seriously low-balled estimate is frightening. I've seen the Despatch guys in the hood recently too, and they seem pretty professional. Arpin seemed good when we called, though they couldn't give us any dates for a CA move.

Why were your moving companies so unwilling to give you GNTE? Did you insist on it? At the least, you'll need a binding estimate, but I agree, you're taking the risk of paying more than the actual weight. When you choose a company, can you call to request a GNTE?

Return to “Open Community”