*Los Angeles to Ann Arbor, MI moving question

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
misstokyo

*Los Angeles to Ann Arbor, MI moving question

Postby misstokyo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am

Hello,
My husband and I are moving from Los Angeles to Ann Arbor, MI in mid or late August and have had three in-home estimates, that are all pretty different. We currently live in a 750 square foot (est.) one bedroom apartment, and we aren't taking our matress or bed frame but we do have a lot of stuff, including a large amount of books and heavy metal furniture. We're also packing ourselves, so all of the estimates take that into account.

1. Kent Delaney at Andy's Transfer with North American - 6353 pounds - $5421.07 (includes $35,000 insurance with a $250 deductible)

2. Tom Caputo at Jensen Relocation with Allied - 4361 pounds - $3972.62 (includes $25,000 insurance with a $250 deductible)

3. John Horist with United - 5516 pounds - $4355.30 (includes $35,000 insurance with $250 deductible)

We're still waiting to hear back from Moovers, Inc.

My husband has been present for all of the estimates, and he feels like we should go with United Van Lines. He thinks since they're right in the middle, they're probably the most accurate. It's also the lowest cost per pound.

I've read good things and bad things about all three of these on this website, but I'm a little torn about what to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :D

farrah7031

Re: Los Angeles to Ann Arbor, MI moving question

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am

We always recommend getting a Zero dollar deductible.

misstokyo

Postby misstokyo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but why a $0 deductible, beyond the obvious savings of $250?

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Most claims that occur are under $200. If you pay for coverage with a deductible, you'd save money up front, but may not be reimbursed if minor damage occurs.
If you take a deductible, and you have major damage, you've paid more out of pocket money when you add the cost of the coverage and the deductible amount.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

misstokyo

Postby misstokyo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks! :D
We'll go with the $0 deductible then.

I have a couple of other questions:

Why do the three quotes vary within a 2,000 pound range?

I've been reading a lot about 65% discounts in the forums. What are these?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:45 pm

You didn't mention if all of these quotes are guaranteed or non-binding?

Also, is there a difference in service (ie dates) for any of them?

Overall, you can't go wrong with any of the three. It comes down to a confidence and trust with the sales rep and/or the local agency.

Which United agent is it?

misstokyo

Postby misstokyo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:07 pm

The quotes are guaranteed, as long as we book in the next week or so.

I'll have to check with my husband on the different dates.

And, the United agent is with Merit Moving Systems.

The only rep that I met was Kent from Andy's, and I really liked him and thought that he did a very throrough job - he was at my apartment for nearly three hours and was very straightforward. My husband met the other two while I was at work (probably reading these boards!). Tom Caputo spent about an hour, and John Horist was there for about 45 minutes.

My husband said they were all about the same, and feels like there's not a huge difference between the three given that they are all huge companies (United, Allied, NA) who do this all the time. That being said, he doesn't feel like going with the cheapest (Allied) is necessarily the best. He's leaning toward Merit with United.

I guess I'm a little confused about what role the booking agent plays - do they hire the load/unload staff and drivers? Are we going on the repuation of the booking agent and not the van line itself?

I'm just very nervous about the whole process becaue this is the biggest move we've ever made, and the only time we've ever used a full-service mover.

Thanks for your advice!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:26 pm

It should not take 3 hours to make an estimate, barring a 20 room mansion with oil paintings to measure, chandliers to take down and crate, etc. Even if done the old fashioned way, with pencil and paper, it should not take more than an hour max.....

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Archie, Maybe the sales rep stuck around to answer questions and educate the consumer on the process.

I don't see how that can be such a bad thing, to be available to the customer.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:15 am

Why do the three quotes vary within a 2,000 pound range?

This is an unusually high variance. It could be:
The difference between you and your husband doing the walk thru, each telling the estimators to include different things to be moved.
The varying experience, or intentions of the estimators. Some are cautious and want to be sure they provide a high weight estimate in order to plan the move for success, knowing that the final weight will be lower. Some under estimate purposely to show a lower cost, thinking that's what it takes to book your move.
Each estimator should have given you a copy of the inventory that they made showing each item to be moved, room by room. Compare them against each other. It's possible that some things were left out.
3 hours is too long, unless you wanted them to be there that long, and they had no where else to go (unusual at this time of year).

I've been reading a lot about 65% discounts in the forums. What are these?

Movers commonly file their tariffs with inflated rates in order to give varying discounts based on time of year/month, weight, and where the shipment is destined to.
In the past all movers followed the same tariff, and 65% seemed to be the generally accepted highest discount to compete with other movers.
Movers are no longer following the same tariff, but the high rates - big discounts is still common.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

FirstTimeMoving

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am

Hey, I'm moving from Ann Arbor to Long Beach and I'm using United because of their good reviews and my really positive experience with Corrigan, who's the agent for United in Ann Arbor. We are moving in early August; when's your move date? It sounds like you were pretty happy with Merit? They are the United representative for us on the west coast side (which means Corrigan should be your rep for this side I think). If that's the case, I think you have little to worry about since they have a great reputation here.
Also, I did the 0% deductible too.

FirstTimeMoving

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 am

Oops, just noticed you are moving mid-late August. We might actually have the same driver if he's ann arbor based.

misstokyo

Postby misstokyo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks so much for the great responses to my questions.
This is an intense process that I've never experienced before, and this message board has been a life-saver! :D

A correction: I was only around for the last forty minutes of Kent's (Andy's Transfer) estimate (my husband did the walk-through with all three) and he just told me that Kent was there for about an hour and a half before I came home. So, he was there for just over two hours - mostly due to the fact that he was the first estimate that we received and we had LOTS of questions, which he answered thoroughly and professionally.

FirstTimeMoving - I think we'll prbably go with United as well at this point because my husband really like the Merit rep and we got his number on a reccomendation. The only issue with Merit is that they have a guaranteed pick-up date, but the drop-off window is 6 days, which is pretty long. Did you get a similar price per pound from your United rep?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm

misstokyo wrote:the drop-off window is 6 days, which is pretty long.

Actually, that's not long at all when you're moving across country.

FirstTimeMoving

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Miss Tokyo, yes my quoted rate is around 2 cents more expensive per pound which I believe is because we have less than 4000 lbs of stuff. As for the drop off date, I actually got an 8 day window. We didn't care as much though because my parents are visitng us as soon as we arrive and we'd be doing tourism thing with them for the first week instead of unpacking. However, I was under the impression that the driver will narrow the window when it's closer to moving day, so you might want to raise that concern with Merit and see if they could narrow your window a bit.

Return to “Open Community”