PENSKE - advice on how to get a large discount

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

PENSKE - advice on how to get a large discount

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:34 am

A reader in Viet Nam has just posted the following on another messageboard:

If you are planning to book the Penske truck, go to this site www.movingorbit.com then click on Penske link. You will get another 10% discount on top of penske's 10% .... Approx. 20% discount total and more if you have AAA membership.

Someone else posted on that other messageboard that AAA membership gives you a 10% discount with Penske. I don't know whether you could get that on top of everything else, and I haven't verified that booking with Penske through MovingOrbit will give you a 10% discount, but I think it's worth investigating.

To the reader in Viet Nam: THANK YOU for spreading the word about this Penske discount, Broadway Express, ABF, and MovingScam. It was amazing to me to read my own words from this website in your posts from Viet Nam. Such is the power of the Internet.

:arrow: WARNING! Don't use the MovingOrbit website for ANYTHING other than this. They are a moving broker that sent many would-be scammers my way a year ago.

blue

Re: PENSKE - advice on how to get a large discount

Postby blue » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:56 pm

Penske offers 10% for reserving trucks on-line. In addition, the AAA discount is 10% for local rentals and 12% for one way rentals.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:07 pm

Do you have to go through the MovingOrbit site to get the 10% Penske online discount? When I checked just now, it looks as if you can also get it if you just go to the Penske site at http://www.pensketruckrental.com/person ... index.html

I would rather not refer people to MovingOrbit if I don't have to.

blue

Postby blue » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:17 pm

You can go directly to the Penske web site for on-line reservations and secure the 10% discount. You do not necessarily have to link through Orbit.

wfay

Postby wfay » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:47 pm

I got a 10% discount for reserving online PLUS a 10% MovingOrbit discount when I used the MO link to Penske. It showed up in my "cart".

The AAA discount on Penske is 12% which I verified. You get either the 10% MO or 12% AAA discount, not both.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:36 pm

Great--thanks so much for clarifying.

Also, "Erin" just posted this important update on July 22, 2004:

Erin wrote:You can also get a 10% discount if you link to Penske through apartments.com. . . . If you do this over the phone, they will still give you the [two] 10% online discounts (for Penske and apartments.com) and you won't have to join the AAA and spend $ on the membership.

Penske will tell you that if you reserve you lock in the price, it won't go up. You can also call back and if the rates have dropped, they will give you the lower rate. You can also push the date into the future twice with no penalty. I wish I had known all this before the rates jumped up for the summer.
Last edited by Diane on Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reader from Vietnam

Postby Reader from Vietnam » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:24 am

Diane wrote:
To the reader in Viet Nam: THANK YOU for spreading the word about this Penske discount, Broadway Express, ABF, and MovingScam. It was amazing to me to read my own words from this website in your posts from Viet Nam. Such is the power of the Internet.

You're welcome. I just got to Texas couple days ago. My counsin and I will pick the 15' Penske truck on july 5 with 20% discount through movingorbit. We hope to reach Cleveland around July 7. I just wonder if their truck can handle 1500 miles non stop ? This is our first time using moving truck. :roll: :roll:

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:53 am

Reader from Viet Nam,

You might be reassured by this glowing report from a reader who just moved a comparable distance using a Penske truck (Sacramento to Dallas) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1951 If you register for this website, you can also send a PM to that person to ask him for additional advice or details about his trip.

Please be sure to get back to us to tell us how it went. Good luck! And please spread the word about MovingScam.com on whatever listserv you have access to in Cleveland!

a Reader from Vietnam

Postby a Reader from Vietnam » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Hi ....

wow.. I felt in love with my 15' Penske truck. It was a brand new and very clean one with only 8000 miles. I could smell the "new car" smell.

It ran every well pulling one of my new car. We sometime drove unintentionally few short distances with 95 mph speed with full blast cold AC (sorry Penske, we didn't mean too) :lol: :lol:

My schedule to pick up my truck is 9am. At 7 am, penske center called my counsin and informed that their truck wouldn't availabe until 10am. It was Monday after July 4 (still a holiday for most places). They had all trucks but had shortage delivery drivers. This was what we expected anyway.

At the check out center, I discovered that Penske threw in another 10% discount for both truck and car dolly ... Cool... 30% discount so far. They called it NRA discount ... (National Rifle (sp) Association ?? ). The total charge for the 15' truck and car dolly with tax, insurance and fee was $825. :lol: from Houston to Cleveland (~1400 miles). I got to Cleveland with only 20 hrs drive.

I haven't counted my gasoline cost yet. I will update later.

Cleveland Rock ! Here I come !!!!!! :P :P 8)

and ... Thanks Penske ! You're rock

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:19 pm

Just a side note for those of you renting trucks and /or rental cars. Apparently, some rental places are installing tracking devices originally intended to know where the trucks are at all times (in case of theft or other emergencies), but the software has become more sophisticated. Now, they can tell if you have been speeding, by how much and how often, or if you go outside the "local" area on a local rental, and even where you're parking the truck. They can dock you for speeding or other high-liability activities (even parking in areas known for lots of vehicle thefts), and charge large fees for each violation of the fine print of the contract. From the reports I've read and heard, it's mostly the smaller fleets that do this, but it's a good idea to keep in mind that someone might be watching (and no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist!). When you rent a truck or car, ask if they have this tracking software in the vehicles.

The only good I see from this is that rental truck fleets might soon be able to catch the scammers that take the local trucks across country and roll back the odometers, or get speeding tickets or even reckless driving, or who get in accident and have chop-shops fix the truck.

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:55 pm

$825?!?! The quote I got for Minneapolis->Portland (1700 miles) was about $1500 with the car carrier! (Which is why we went with ABF instead; it cost about the same and we don't have to drive it.)

I wonder what kind of weird, unseen variables are included in their price quoting system....

By the way, do you know what kind of gas mileage you got with your car being towed behind the truck? I bet a lot of people here would be interested in finding out those numbers.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:39 pm

I think someone (23?) once said that a 15' truck towing a car gets about 10 mpg. Maybe a little more, but about that.

blue

Postby blue » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:20 pm

Adam, balance and seasonality (supply and demand) dictate price quoting policies for truck rental companies.

MM, a 15 foot truck alone doesn't do much better than 8 miles per gallon; pulling a car carrier loaded with a 3000 pound vehicle, expect no better than 5 or 6 miles to the gallon (and not even that if you're doing a lot of driving in the mountains).

a Reader from Vietnam

Postby a Reader from Vietnam » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:07 pm

The total cost for gasoline on my truck is $309.31. With an average $1.89/gal , the gal of gasoline that I used are around 164 gals. So the truck did used average 8-9 miles/gal of gasoline.

I'm very happy with these results anyway.

By the way, I tried to book for the 15' truck w/o car dolly from Cleveland to Houston just for fun. The website quoted me for $2500 w/o 20% discount :( :( :( :( .. AHHHHHHHH I will have to sell all my stuffs before moving back to Houston then to Vietnam in 2008.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:43 pm

Chuc mung ban da den hoa ky!

(Someone I work with told me how to say that . . .)

Return to “Open Community”