Need advice for a self move

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
Selfmover

Need advice for a self move

Postby Selfmover » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 am

We're moving from IL to just north of NYC and after pricing out the full service and you load/we drive places, we've decided to do it ourselves. However, we need some advice.

Based on the great recommendations here, we're going with Penske. We'll also be driving our only car--I've driving SUVs with boat trailers, but I haven't done that in quite a while and I'm not comfortable going through Newark and high traffic areas with a trailer, especially one I can't see out the back window.

We're moving a 2 bedroom apartment that will be lighter on furniture than most, but heavy on books (and more bookcases than most). One estimate was that we had 4600 lbs total. I think that's high, but it is possible. I think we could fit everything into a 12 foot truck, but it would be packed to the gills. We're thinking a 16 foot truck would probably be better as it would give us room if needed and we wouldn't have to stack things so high. Does this sound right?

Also, I've driven 10 and 14 foot moving trucks on largely local roads. Are there any special requirements or things I would need to be aware of driving a 12 or 16 footer on interstates and highways?

ArchieWhite

Re: Need advice for a self move

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm

IF you have 4600 lbs, or close, the 16 ft truck should do the job, not sure if the 12 would. I doubt you'll notice any driving difference, but it is a truck, not a car, it wont stop as fast as a car, it will be buffeted by high winds, and it will hit low underpasses or awnings and tree limbs, so you have to watch out. They all come with AC and auto trans and power steering, brakes, so you should be ok, just take it easy for a few hours until you get the feel for it.

Selfmover

Postby Selfmover » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks for the help, Archie.

Selfmover

Re: Need advice for a self move (insurance)

Postby Selfmover » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 am

As I stated before, we're going with Penske for a self move. I checked with my auto policy and credit card company, but I'm not covered for insurance with either one. I think I should get insurance, probably through Penske. Is this correct? If so, do I want only the Limited Damage Waiver or do I also want the Personal Accident Insurance (and Supplemental Liability Insurance?)? I'd really appreciate any advice.

We don't really have that much of high value we'll be moving, so we don't plan on getting cargo insurance.

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 am

As a driver for a vanline, I have to often rent trucks for shuttles. I will admit that I try and not use Uhaul because I have had major issues with them, but I do when I have to. Penske is a truckrental company with integrity, and I reccomend anytime them more than any other company that rents trucks.

When I rent the trucks, I never leave that yard without inspecting the truck. I also get the limited damage waiver that they offer. I have had a few minor scrapes that was covered on this coverage. It is well worth the money to get this coverage. Had a car rear end me on a pier once and the truck burned to the ground on the pier, and that was covered as well. Longer story there. So if you rent a truck, always get that coverage. I believe they also have coverage beyond the usual ones for towing a vehicle.

Good Luck with your move.

Selfmover

Postby Selfmover » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, I think we'll for sure get the insurance to cover the truck.

Do folks here recommend getting the injury to self and other insurance add ons?

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Thats an added expense obviously. But its a comfort issue for you. Also check your health insurance coverages before you decide and see whats covered and see if this additional coverage is worth your time. This coverage only applies if you wreck the truck though.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:00 pm

Health insurance? :shock:

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 pm

The particular coverage that these rental companies offer in the case of an accident, and you are hurt are in a word deficient. Even if there is a defect in the truck that is their fault.

Selfmover

Postby Selfmover » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that we completed our move. The Penske truck was almost brand new and in great condition. We had absolutely no problems with the truck and although I haven't done the math yet, I believe we got around 10 miles to the gallon or perhaps more on our 16' truck (packed pretty full). We definitely wouldn't have fit in a 12 foot truck or even a 14' truck.

One surprise we did have is that in the New York area, you can't use a truck on anything labeled a "parkway." If you're moving to that area with a truck, make sure to avoid those roads. Online map services (Google, Mapquest, etc.) will use them as they're usually the fastest routes, even though you can't use them with a truck.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:37 am

Remove

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”