MI to CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
a2marina

MI to CA

Postby a2marina » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Just thought I'd share my moving experience since I really benefited from reading other people's posts here!

I moved a small 1 BR apartment (not much furniture, but lots of books) at the end of June from Ann Arbor, MI to the Bay Area. The move had to be arranged on fairly short notice, since I was relocating due to work. By the time I began to make calls, a lot of trucks were already filled up, and other companies told me I basically had a couple days to get my estimate done and make my decision. I ended up asking for a basic phone estimate based on the minimum weight of 2100, since I knew my move would be approximately that weight or under it. My only in home estimate was by Corrigan and since their prices were comparable to what I'd gotten on the phone with other companies--and more importantly, they had the schedule slot open that I needed--I decided to go with them at that point.

I had a great experience with Corrigan. They were very upfront throughout the whole experience, and made sure I understood any charges I might incur (mainly shuttle charges due to the narrow streets I was and am living on). I ended up needing a shuttle on the pickup side but not on the delivery side (more on that later). On the day of pickup, I was given a 2 hour window for arrival, and the two Corrigan staff arrived promptly within that time.

For delivery, I was given a 1.5 week spread and was told early on that it would be likely to arrive toward the end of that time frame. The driver called the before the estimated date to confirm delivery, and when I mentioned I would be home that evening, he offered to bring my stuff by that night if I preferred. Which I did. He also chose to do a longer carry at no cost to me rather than call for a shuttle to get closer, saving me $270. One of my (rather flimsy) bookcases had some minor damage, and he offered to pay me out of pocket rather than make me go through the hassle of filing a claim. I took it out of his tip (I still gave him a small tip, given the money he'd saved me and the fact that it was nearly 100 degrees!), and we were all set.

I'd definitely recommend Corrigan to anyone moving from MI. Great customer service.

I also did an auto move for my car from MI to CA. (It probably would have been cheaper to drive it myself, but I am not a very experienced driver and no friends/family were available to drive with me.) Again, I had limited options because of my time frame, and I ended up going with ProStar. I got a quote from Golden Key as well, but their pickup dates did not work as well for me. My experience with ProStar was okay; I felt they could have been a little more responsive to phone calls and emails.

My car ended up being transported by Dynasty. It came through just fine (though to be fair, it had enough existing minor dings/scratches that I wouldn't have been able to tell if it picked up some along the way). I was frustrated with the Dynasty dispatcher--I kept asking her how close the delivery was going to get and she kept saying, "I haven't MapQuested it yet"--even on the day of delivery! She also always called back later than promised. When she said she would call in the afternoon, I waited until 6:00 before calling myself to see what was up; later when she said the driver would be coming in about an hour, it was really almost 2 hours.

I didn't know where to meet the driver until literally 10 minutes before delivery. It was only a couple blocks away, so an easy enough walk, but it was an strange spot for the delivery--near a busy intersection, with barely enough room for the truck to pull over. Fortunately it was a Sunday night, so the truck was able to block some driveways without inconveniencing anyone. The actual Dynasty driver was great--very professional. I think the dispatcher must have been underestimating how long it actually takes to get a car off the truck and only considering drive times; it's quite a process when the car's on the top level!

So that's my experience. Overall, I'd say everything went well. Big thumbs up for Corrigan and United, tentative thumbs up for ProStar and Dynasty.

FirstTimeMoving

Re: MI to CA

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Thank you so much! I'm doing a similar move (A2 to Long Beach) with corrigan in earlly August and I'm glad to hear that you had no problem at all. Hopefully I get a driver like yours!

misstokyo

Re: **MI to CA

Postby misstokyo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Is Corrigan with United?

I've also posted about an LA to AA move, and we've decided to go with an LA United broker - Merit Moving Systems.

FirstTimeMoving

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 pm

Yep, they are a United agent and the company I'm going with. And referring to your other post, my husband and I are both very excited about moving to long beach!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 pm

a2marina, thanks for the excellent review of Corrigan and the good review of ProStar and Dynasty.

First Time Moving, please do come back and post because yours would be the fifth good review that we need to give Corrigan a :thumbsup: designation on the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

FirstTimeMoving

Re: MI to CA

Postby FirstTimeMoving » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 am

Yes, Diane, I had planned on reporting back. Hopefully it'll be a good experience.

Return to “Open Community”