Hank's Moving Company of Philadelphia is a disreputable biz

Postby phl-la » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:47 pm

Hank's Moving Company
1310 Marlborough St
Philadelphia, PA
and
631 N 3rd St
Philadelphia, PA

I was referred to Hank's Moving Company for a local move by the leasing agent of a very upscale building I was moving into in Philadelphia, PA. I ended up later advising that leasing agent against ever referring tenants to this company.

Hank Ward, the owner, came to my apt on 10/22/03 and gave me a written estimate of $300. He required a deposit of $150 and agreed to pickup my items at 9am on 11/01/03. The written estimate reflected a deposit (check) had been made for $150.

On 10/24/03 Mr. Ward left a voicemail confirming the date and time of my move.

At 9:15 am on the day of my move, Mr Ward called and said he was running late and would arrive before noon. At 12:15pm one of Mr. Ward's workers called and conveyed they would be unable to move me and I would need to call Mr. Ward to reschedule.

Despite repeated phone calls and voicemails, Mr. Ward did not return my call for over 2 days. I was forced to find another mover on very short notice and incurred a charge of over $780.

Upon returning my phone call Mr. Ward promised to refund my deposit via mail. He never did return my deposit (the check was cashed). He also never replied to multiple calls. Three letters of complaint were sent return receipt requested, and were returned to sender.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. After several months I was informed Mr. Ward did not reply to their attempts at contact.

I have all of the documentation including: original estimate with date/cost/acknowledgement of deposit in the amount of $150, recorded voicemail confirming date and time of move, returned letters of complaint, and BBB documents.

I am moving out of Philadelphia or I would take Mr. Ward to small claims court.

Return to “Report A Scam”