Allied agents: Nor-Cal and Reliable Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
piggity

Allied agents: Nor-Cal and Reliable Moving

Postby piggity » Thu May 08, 2003 3:06 pm

I am considering using Nor-Cal Moving (www.nor-calmoving.com) for my SF to NY move, and am looking for help from this community on doing research on them. They are a large Allied agent in the northern CA area. All their info is on their web site.

They told me that for the interstate move, the driver will not be a Nor-Cal driver, but an independent agent hired through Allied. Is this normal/ok?

They also told me that on the NY end, another Allied agent called "Reliable Moving" will be handling the move. However, I could not find any information about them on the Allied web site. Has anyone heard of them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

consumer advocate

Re: Allied agents: Nor-Cal and Reliable Moving

Postby consumer advocate » Thu May 08, 2003 5:14 pm

Reliable Moving and Storage of 200 E. 61st Street #16B New York, NY 10021 has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB. This is from the BBB website: "This firm was fined _$132,000 for overcharging consumers and using deceptive advertising. In October 1998, the New York State Supreme Court issued a permanent injunction barring the firm from performing unlicensed moves within New York, using telephones to contract moves with New York consumers, and requiring that they post a _$500,000 bond before transacting any business in New York. The court ruled that the firm engaged in deceptive and fraudulent moving practices and held the individual owners, Anatoli Iofe, Vadim Stephan, and Igor Drikho individually liable for violating state law. In 2001, the Bureau attempted to contact this firm. However, it appears that this firm has ceased business operations at this location. We will continue to accept complaints against this firm, but will be unable to process them unless the firm resurfaces."

This company also has addresses at:
59-30 108th Street, Corona, NY 11368
1775 York Avenue, #35E, New York NY 10128
331 W. 57th Street, New York NY 10019
2 Stonehenge Lane, East Northport NY 11731

There may be other companies by the same name. Ask Nor-Cal to provide you with the DOT numbers and addresses of ALL carriers that will be involved with your move.

piggity

Postby piggity » Thu May 08, 2003 5:26 pm

Yikes, thanks for that info.

Fortunately, I just found out that the company is actually "Reliable Van & Storage" in New Jersey (www.reliablevan.com). They look pretty legitimate, as far as I can tell.

As for DOT numbers, it seems all of these agents operate under the DOT number of the parent van line -- is this normal/ok?

Thanks.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu May 08, 2003 6:26 pm

Reliable Van & Storage
550 Division St
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Common authority has been involuntarily revoked 6 times since 1987 and the last one as recent as 2000. They also have brokerage authority which means they can contract your move out to someone else. They have a high Out-Of-Service vehicle rate of 42.9% and driver rate of 22.2% (Not exactly "RELIABLE") with national averages being 23.34% and 7.62% respectively. I would not want my stuff on a fleet of vehicles that end up out of service half the time. Putting all of this together, I would be wary.
I'll find further info later this evening to see about complaints and whatnot.

fubar

Postby fubar » Thu May 08, 2003 6:55 pm

Unless your things will be going into storage at destination the Allied agt. in NJ will have very little to do with your move. If storage is an issue you might ask Nor-Cal to store your HHG until you are ready to move into your new home. You may also request another dest. agt be assigned to your move if you are uneasy about the situation.
Allied is a very large company and it would not be unusual for driver from another Allied agt. to move your things across the country. For example. The driver that moves your furn. may be leased to an Allied agt. in Tx, MN, or Maine. Who ever is in the area empty at the time will receive the load. They are all part of the Allied family and carry the required insurance, permits and operating authority. Allied will not broker out your move to another carrier.
New York is a very congested area. Plz make sure your sales rep. knows if you will be needing a shuttle before your things are loaded on the truck, and this is figured into the price if needed. Good luck.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu May 08, 2003 7:17 pm

Here is how your move works.

The booking and origin agent in your case is the local agent Nor Cal. The destination agent is Reliable. This is the agent that the driver will get his help from, or should to help the driver unload.

Since your move is across country, a continental fleet driver is needed, that simply means he is licensed to drive that distance. Also meaning perhaps, Nor-Cal doesnt have any drivers licensed in such a manner, and that they will not be self-hauling your shipment. This isnt unusual at all.

So ask Nor-Cal, why this particular agent they have chosen as your destination agent. Are there other agents in the area to select from, and is that agent the best in their opinion.

So yes, your fine as of now. How good an agent Nor-Cal is, I have no idea.

Good luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:33 pm

Hi

I realize this thread was started many months ago, but I wish to add a remark in the interest of accumulating knowledge.

I haven't used Nor-Cal, but I got a quote from them because my employer's official moving company is Whalen's/Allied in NY, and they used Nor-Cal/Allied in the bay area.

Nor-Cal came and evaluated my 2 bdrm apt as weighing 10,800 lbs! Highly inflated. Their boxes were exorbitantly priced as well. Now it's true that I have a lot of books (I'm an academic), but no other walk-thru has come even close to this number -- most of them are around 7,000 lbs.

My employer told me that they have been thinking of breaking off their relationship with Whalen's/Allied, because many faculty members have complained about this sort of padding with regard to poundage. I thought you all should know this, even though it may be slightly different than the normal scam, since it involves abuse of a corporate relationship.

Chuck

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:50 pm

Interesting info. Thanks for the heads up Chuck.

scammed

Postby scammed » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:47 am

Chuck,

I don't remember from your previous posts whether they are giving you a "binding not to exceed" quote. If they are, and you can supervise the weighing, then will you only owe them for the actual weight of the shipment upon delivery? Have you gotten any feedback from other employees regarding their final charges with this company? How do their rates and discounts compare with other companies you've contacted?

Return to “Open Community”