*Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. - Move from San Diego CA to Gadsden AL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
juan23

*Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. - Move from San Diego CA to Gadsden AL

Postby juan23 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:27 pm

I am moving from San Diego, CA to Gadsden, AL and have selected Allied Van Lines over Bekins and MayFlower. The Allied agent is Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. in Poway, CA. This is now my third move between California and Alabama and the second time I have I used Allied and this particular agent. I chose Allied again, over Bekins based on accuracy of estimate, and over Mayflower based on apperance of storage facility. I live in an upstairs apartment that has no access for a large truck so the moving van will need to park on the main street and shuttle my belongings. My estimate on distance is about 350 yards. The Bekins agent was very nice but he quoted me $2708 for the shuttle service and 8905 lbs for Not-to-exceed estimate price of $7234.24. The Mayflower agent was also nice and Mayflower came in much lower at 7495 lbs NTE $5991.18. The Mayflower agent also provided very good information on where to get boxes and packing supplies. The Mayflower agent had to snail mail my quote rather then print it on-demand or email me a PDF. The Mayflower quote contained no detail, no summary on total boxes. I drove by their storage facility and it looked very messy and disorganized. The Allied came in at the lowest at total NTE cost $5575.45 with total weight of 6988 lbs. I live in a two bedroom apartment and I do have lots of stuff. I was very candid with all the agents and was consistent in telling what stuff would go and what stuff would not. I felt the Allied agent was the most accurate. This particular agent began working in the warehouse at 16 years old, then was a driver for a while, and is now in sales as an agent. He has about 30 years of experience in the industry and in fact the mayflower agent used to work for him. I let him look at the Bekins quote because of the price difference and he knew where the Bekins agent had made his mistake - in the shuttle service. He also mentioned that the Bekins had to be a little green because he himself had not heard of this agent in this area and said he was over cautious in his estimate which is why it was so much higher. The Allied agent also told me the same box supply company the Mayflower agent had mentioned. The Allied agent also told me no matter who I go with box in early in the month before the middle of the month when moving companies recalculate their fuel surcharges and prices. He also told me to check out the facilities of the other companies, which I did and it was not even close. The Atlas Transfer and Storage facility was extremely well organized and clean. It looked run well compared to the others. This is important as they typically go back to this facility to do the weighing and sometimes to ttransfer to another truck that is on route to your destination. Again the Atals agent told me all this information.

So, in the end price was very important, but the agent and the information they provided was very critical in my decision. The accuracy and detail provided in the quote was also very important. The devil in the details, and small things like not having a working printer to provide me my quote on-demand and other things are important as they usually paint a larger picture. This is just the beginning and I am not foolish enough to say that I made the right decision, but just why I made the decision I did. Moving date is the July 30th and I will let you all know how that goes and how it goes once we get there.
Juan23

farrah7031

Re: Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. - Move from San Diego CA to Gadsden AL

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Would you like to say the name of your Atlas Sales Rep so we can add it to the Superlist?

Diane

Re: *Atlas Transfer & Storage Co. - Move from San Diego CA to Gadsden A

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 am

juan23 wrote:The Mayflower agent was also nice and Mayflower came in much lower at 7495 lbs NTE $5991.18. The Mayflower agent also provided very good information on where to get boxes and packing supplies. The Mayflower agent had to snail mail my quote rather then print it on-demand or email me a PDF. The Mayflower quote contained no detail, no summary on total boxes. I drove by their storage facility and it looked very messy and disorganized.

Are you talking about San Diego Van & Storage or Hidden Valley? Both are Mayflower agents in San Diego. Please clarify, and thanks for all this detail.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am

We don't have an office in San Diego Diane, but we share the building with Atlas in Poway, if he's talking about the one on Stowe Drive.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks, Lee. And to juan23, Please come back to report on the outcome of your move because yours would be the fifth good review that we need to give Atlas Allied a :thumbsup: designation on this website.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:45 am

My personal experiences with Atlas have always been good. Their drivers who I have dealt with over the years were always first class. The owners are good people who are concerned about their customers and those of other Allied agents. I think it makes all of us in the moving industry feel good when we see a consumer choosing a company based on value and perceived quality of the service they will receive versus just the price. So many moving salespeople tell their management all of the time that all the consumer wants is a low price. If you can differentiate yourself, as the Atlas salesperson obviously did, the consumer will choose value and quality. However, if you market your company as being no different than the other two movers from which the consumer got a quote, price will be the deciding factor. Where are they holding the next class on "the lost art of selling?"

Return to “Open Community”