Please Share any GM VAN LNES (Florida) Experiences! Good Co. or Bad?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
drifftwood

Please Share any GM VAN LNES (Florida) Experiences! Good Co. or Bad?

Postby drifftwood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm thinking of using GM Van Lines for an interstate move, but they
are suspiciously cheaper than anyone else. Even cheaper than
the obviously-fake-telephone-quote-only people. But, of course,
saving money is attractive.

Have anyone had successful interstate moves with them?
Any trouble getting stuff from storage in a timely manner?

Any feedback at all is welcome.

They have some other threads here, but all pretty old. I'd like
some recent stories too.

Thanks for your help, decision day is soon!

Rick

Re: Please Share any GM VAN LNES (Florida) Experiences! Good Co. or Bad?

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drifftwood

Postby drifftwood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks, I read the old threads, I was hoping to hear some more
recent info. They told me they lease more trucks, but only own one,
possibly true??

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Where are you moving to/from?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:10 pm

You've already indicated a concern that their price is far less than everyone else's. How do you think they do this?

Moving is an expensive venture, and a far more expensive business to operate. Besides the salaries of your employees, there are trucks to buy/lease and maintain (though some argue the leasing takes care of maintenence and "cuts down on costs"), insurance policies to fund, licensing fees to pay, not to mention the exorbitant costs of fuel nowadays. If all companies have to pay these things, but one somehow manages to operate for less money than their competitors, you have to wonder if one of those things isn't being funded, or if they're being a bit iffy with the prices they offer to customers and end up charging more at delivery.

If you had 5 identical Porsches for sale at 5 different dealers, but one is selling for 80% of the price, what would you think about that car and/or it's seller?

drifftwood

Postby drifftwood » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 am

I see your points. It seems nobody has any firsthand experience
with them though? I'm going Fl to Ca.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:13 am

To save a buck, are you willing to take that chance? Are you willing to be the one that proves a leopard can change it's spots? Funny thing is, most times, you don't even save a buck. You just have a huge headache, heartache, and constantly wonder why??? Don't become a victim of your job being sold to the lowest bidder!
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 am

I'm not sure how recent you mean but it looks as if no one has posted here about them since April 2007. So no, there is no account of very recent experience with them. But sometimes we have to look at all the evidence we have and make a judgment about whether the company is likely to commit a scam. In this case, the person's experience from just over a year ago along with the fact that they gave you a "too good to be true" estimate and they have only one truck adds up to a likely scam. With our almost seven years of experience sizing up moving companies, that's the best we can tell you. Now it's your decision as to whether you use them.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 am

Contact some companies listed here that have good reviews and make sure they do an in home estimate:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7590#57590

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 pm

No first hand experience with this company - but several consumers have shared their concerns with me recently. The services are attractively priced to individuals that are not familiar with recent moves - however the actual services being performed by this company do not meet most customers standards. Especially when moving interstate (from one state to another). As Rick indicates they only have 1 truck and 3 qualified drivers. How long do you think it will take to get your items from FL to CA? How long is too long to wait? The company is located in Ft Lauderdale - yet they have been seeing customers in the Tampa area frequently this month. There name has come up 3 times in the past 2 weeks in this area - the sales rep that had visited one of my clients did not even have paper to print his information on to leave with them. The rep indicated they are a national company. It's hard to be a national company with 1 office and 1 truck! That's not the same as a national company with the assets of say, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, United, etc.

There are varying services provided from one company to another in this industry. However, you need to be considering a carrier that has enough equipment to service your need. You should also want a company that is represented in your current location or within 50-75 miles. How likely is it that you will have response to an issue that may arise with this one office in Ft Lauderdale area vs. a true national carrier? Don't make the mistake of choosing your mover based on a low priced estimate that most likely will end up costing you more by the time you finally receive your shipment.

I'm not directing this next question to you specifically - but I'm curious about something that I'm going to put out here for others to respond to as well as your thoughts and input would be appreciated. Why do individuals spend the amount of money they do on acquiring possessions - such as designer handbags, shoes, clothes, costly furnishings and accessories (often times designer also) - yet want to bargain shop the individuals that will be handling and taking possession of these costly items across country? Your belongings are typically insured while in your home, your home locked and often times secured by a company such as ADT, you take care in the use of the items, we fuss and punish our children for not treating the items appropriately - yet people relinqush these items freely to a company that gives them the lowest cost. I have yet to understand this way of purchasing moving services and selection of movers. Most people that are willing to pay for a move did not purchase their belongings at a yard sale or thrift shop - yet they want to have moving services provided at a rate that does not allow for quality services to be performed.

Please, whatever the estimated costs are - if they are suspicously low, go with your gut instict and stay away from it. There is a reason you asked your initial question - probably your "gut warning" going off. You don't have to have anyone confirm your feeling for you. That old saying that we have all heard is probably dead on. "If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is."
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Excellent question was asked above. Reading the post and the other posts on this website often begs that question. Although it needs to be said, the move you make is expensive. There are many fine movers in the national networks and a few bad ones. I have seen them both across all of the major van lines. It also amazes me when the mover, be it major or minor company allows the customer to put a high valuation on their goods and put a lesser driver on the move itself.

It seems to me that there are very few small companies that do an excellent job in the pricing and the actual service themselves. Also, a major mover, Atlas Mayflower United Allied, would be able to service your move correctly and as fast as possible. So the choices and the balance is quite daunting.

When you make your decision, you have to look and research the companies that you would like to speak to. The cheapest move is not always the best and neither is the most expensive. Check their BBB and use the tools that this website offers for you to make an informed decision on your mover.

Cbarnes

Postby Cbarnes » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Do not use them. I made the mistake of using them to move my family from Sarasota, FL to Parker CO - they were a total rip off. The first quote they gave me was for $5188.85 (order # 28460). Then the day I am moving they show up and all the sudden - I my estimator was to low and now instead of $5188, the quote became over $7500.

I could live with that, but I was told I could get delivery by 08/06/08 - I got my stuff on 08/16/08. When I called Agatha O'Brian on 08/06 and asked about my furniture, I was told "we don't guarantee delivery dates"

I can live with paying more that I was first quoted (the first quote looked very low to me), but getting my stuff 10 days late was a joke. I would never use this company again.
cbarnes

promover2

Postby promover2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Do not use them. I recently provided a full service quote (24,000 lbs. full packing and moving which wound up weighing 24,440 lbs.) from Tampa to Utah and the GM Van Lines rep severely under-estimated. He quoted 15,000 lbs. Needless to say, his quote was half of mine and the others who quoted the job. The customer was naturally curious about his much lower quote and I had to show her how defective the quote was and how it would have worked to her disadvantage if she went with such an inferior estimate. Any crew expecting 15,000 lbs. that arrives to 24,000 lbs. is going to be overwhelmed and unable to service the job correctly.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Boy, if giving bad quotes ( not moves, just quotes) was against the law, I know some folks that would be doing hard time.....last week we had 12,000 lbs that went 23,000 and 10,000 that went 18,000....but they were both bound, so the customer got a bunch moved free. I know a couple of movers salesmen that had to forfeit his commisions though.....

Return to “Open Community”