Possible Scam (Wayne's World 2000) -also could use some help

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
TwitchyHamster

Possible Scam (Wayne's World 2000) -also could use some help

Postby TwitchyHamster » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:37 am

Hi all,

First of all thank the creators of this forum, it has really opened my eyes to the whole business of moving.

My boyfriend and myself are moving from Philadelphia to Orlando in 2 weeks and we are desperatly seeking advice.

We currently live in a small studio so we do not have much at all to move, however ABF and Broadway Express said that they could not get a truck up to our location ( narrow streets) so we would have to hire out another company to get our stuff to their trucks. Also we have alot of electronics equipment we need to get moved, and I am extremely concerned about insurance coverage. From what I"ve read and what a Broadway rep told me over the phone was that the only thing they would cover would be "Catastrophic" damage in which 100% of my inventory would have to be lost before insurance would cover the "real" value of my items, not the
$.60lb or nonsense they generally cover. ( They said they would have to pack up our stuff themselves to insure it fully, and they cannot do that because they cannot get the trucks in here.) Hi catch-22.

I guess what I am looking for is a company in the Phila area that is trustworthy and can insure our items to their true value ( I don't mind paying extra for real insurance).

Can anyone suggest any alternatives?

After reading this forum, I'm starting to believe my best option is to UPS the expensive electronics, that way I -know- they are being properly insured, and Uhauling the rest down to fla myself. ( I would Uhaul it all but I am worried that during the night at a hotel while we sleep someone will break into it and steal the electronics.)

ALSO--

Possible Scammer Alert.

Meyer's told me they could not handle my location / value of items to be shipped, so they suggested I contact local movers...

Wayne's World 2000 Moving Systems --- ( If the name isn't enough )

I gave them a call a few moments ago, and got a answering machine. I called them back about 20 mins later and the gentleman ( I use this word loosly) answered the phone and said "Yeah you called eairlier?"

I said yes, and I was making a small move and I was compairing local companies in the area for consideration and I could not find his DOT# or MC# anywhere on his website or brochure. I then asked if I could have these two numbers....

"WHY DO YOU NEED THEM? I"VE BEEN IN BUSINESS 12 YEARS."

Now for the next 3 or so mins he "went off" on me about how it isnt good business practice to give out those two #'s and how "I" could be trying to scam "HIM".

I tried to explain to him this wasn't the case, but after having him yell in my ear for a few mins I gave up and simply stated, "Well obviously you aren't letting me get a word in edge wise here so good day." And I hung up the phone with him still ranting.

Now I'm not sure if this company is legit or not, but that certainly was bad enough customer service that I won't be making the mistake of calling them back again.

Again here is their info ( minus the DoT# and MC#'s since he said it was "bad business" to give them to me)

Wayne's World 200 Moving Systems
215-669-3415
www.waynesworldmoving.com
(notice the distint lack of any real information on their web page)

Thanks again in advance to anyone who can offer some information.

Tyrone

Re: Possible Scam (Wayne's World 2000) -also could use some

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:41 am

We have always recommended that you immediately eliminate ANY company that hems, haws, or hesitates when asked for their DOT #. Period.

We are talking about all or most of your worldly posessions here. Do not take a chance with unprofessional clowns such as this one.

By the way... all this Philly talk has got me in the mood for a chicken cheese steak from Billy Bob's at 40th & Spruce... do you know if they are still in business?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

TwitchyHamster

Postby TwitchyHamster » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:48 am

Saddly that entire section of shops that were there have been converted into some big resturant. =(

And thanks for the tip.

I figured as much just wanted to tip off the community to this possible scam in the philla area.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:58 am

Thanks, Twitchy!

The rude one's name is Dwayne Blanford (upper right corner of the website); that's probably why he calls it Wayne's World, but the "2000" part seems a bit dated. My guess is that he doesn't have licensing authority to perform interstate moves and that's why he was so touchy; at least, I couldn't find his company on the U.S. Department of Transportation database at www.safersys.org.

Regarding your situation, I think sending the expensive items UPS is a good idea, and I believe Tyrone would agree. As for the rest of your stuff, since you don't have much and a large moving truck won't be able to access your location, I think driving a rental van makes sense. Don't use U-Haul, though. Penske is the highest rated on Epinions and there is a thread here on how to get discounts - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1674

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:03 pm

I know the site does not like to see recommendations, however Alliance Relocation (http://www.alliancerelocation.com) specializes in Crating and Shipping Antiques and Electronics. I met one of their reps at a trade show and they could be a good alternative to look at other than UPS. I have NOT used them and am not recommending them. Merely pointing you to another option to look at.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:27 pm

this was all I could find on Google. They must not have a license, even though they claim to do both local and long distance moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:55 pm

The website of this Alliance Relocation company looks excellent at first glance, but I can't find a BBB report or locate them on www.safersys.org. Maybe another volunteer will have better luck. Without more information I would hesitate to say they were OK.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:15 pm

Alliance probably wont have a DOT or MC license number since they aren't a mover or a broker. They provide services like crating, handiman, maid, packing/unpacking but not the actual moving services.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:26 am

I apologize for not being more clear. I was referring to Alliance specifically because of your concern about packing your electronics. They may be able to provide packing services (customized) to meet your needs and then allow you to ship via another mover, shipper etc.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:40 pm

If UPS would pack (thoroughly, I see) and then ship the electronics themselves, then why would another company need to be added into the mix? Simple is best. How does Alliance's prices for packing compare with UPS's $4 per box packing charges, plus costs of boxes, plus shipping?

bjfolz

Re: Possible Scam (Wayne's World 2000) -also could use some help

Postby bjfolz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 am

Wayne's World 2000 is DEFINITELY NOT a scam - it is an OUTSTANDING company. I have been very pleased with the company, so pleased that, after I hired them to move me in 2003 (Philadelphia to Long Island), I hired them again in 2004 (Long Island to Philadelphia), and just this past week, from Philadelphia to Boston. The service was excellent. Dwayne does not go over his estimate, unlike every other moving co I have ever dealt with (one co once held my belongings hostage). Dwayne, the owner of Wayne's World 2000, hires conscientious crew. The move this week was to a fifth floor apartment with no elevator, by the way. When my car was towed (by mistake from my parking space here in Boston), Dwayne, without hesitation, drove me to the garage so that I could pick it up, despite that I had already paid him, and despite that his driving me to the garage delayed his getting back on the road, in a snowstorm, to Philadelphia, and, I assume, to his New Year's Eve plans. Dwayne is a character (I am responding to the person in this thread who wrote of a phone conversation with him) - he has a strong personality and speaks honestly and openly and is enormously caring and conscientious. He's a breath of fresh air. I wholeheartedly recommend him. If you contact him, he will give you my contact information. I am a law professor.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:33 pm

I am a law professor

Things that bad in the law studies department, that you have time to join a site to post a positive review, and I use that term quite loosely, and not even notice that the thread was dead years ago. C'mon Professor. Who's your law clerk, Igor?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

bjfolz

Postby bjfolz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Wow, so much hatred for law professors! Why? In any event, I found this site because I Googled Wayne's World 2000, to see if the company had a website where I could write a great review about the great service I just received. I found this arguably libelous posting from a few years back and thought I'd add my thoughts, as the person who made the initial posting had no actual experience with WW, and no one else seemed to have any actual experience with the company, either.
Unfortunately, the fact that the posting was from a few years ago (which I noticed) doesn't really matter in the age of Google, does it? Put in Wayne's World 2000, and you will see that this posting pops up.
I hope you get a chance to hire WW for your next move.
All the best,
Brian

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm sorry, in what way would any of this thread be considered libelous? Recounting a gruff encounter on the phone? Discussing whether or not Wayne's World has a license to perform the interstate moves they solicit? Saying "possible scam" in the title? That would be a lawsuit to be lobbed right out of court and you know it.

Speaking of whether or not they have a license to perform interstate moves, they don't. Doesn't seem like they ever have. Not even a DOT number to operate a commercial vehicle. However, the reviews on several websites, both good ones and bad ones, speak of moves to PA, NJ, DE, and NY, that I see so far. Either these are faked (and who would fake these horrible reviews which decribe encounters just like Twitchy's on the phone?), or they're real and this company is operating illegally, without granted authority by the FMCSA to move customers interstate.

You say you had good experience with Wayne's World 2000 in Philadelphia, which is all well and good, but given the nature of their customer service according to those who have spoken with Dwayne, coupled with their scoffing of the law, I wouldn't blame anyone for saying to skip on WW and check out other Philly movers.

Return to “Report A Scam”