Moving plight!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
TwitchyHamster

Moving plight!

Postby TwitchyHamster » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 am

Hi all,

Already posted some of our situation in the possible scam area and I realized I should have posted part of that post here.

My boyfriend and myself are moving from Philly to Orlando in a couple of weeks and we are having problems deciding what route we should take in making this move.

We have a small studio to move in which most of the contents are rather expensive computer electronics. After reading the forums here, I am extremely concerned about moving companies and it seems no matter which one I look at they all have complaints and problems.

I tried calling ABF and Broadway--Broadway seemed to be the best choice at first because they insure items, but only if they pack it up themselves but they cannot do that here due to the location of our current apt and the narrow streets. So those two are out. ( ABF also because of lack of insurance coverage.)

So I thought I would give Meyer's a call. They told me they wouldn't even handle it because we are not in NY and they could not get movers to us to pack it to insure it.

She said try local companies. Which I'm afraid of especially after my first run in with "Wayne's World 2000 Moving Systems" ( see scam forum for more details.)

Now I have only 2 weeks to get moved, I'm half packed up and I have no idea what to do.

The most reasonable option that I have considered at this point is UPS the electronics and (risk a bad truck) with Uhaul for the not so valuables. At least that way I know that UPS will insure my items to their full value with none of the smoke screens and mirrors that so far these other moving companies use.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

blue1

Re: Moving plight!

Postby blue1 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm

TH, if your considering doing the move yourselves, get a quote from Penske as well. You will likely pay a little more for a Penske truck, but I think they guarantee your reservation, so there's no games at check out time, plus you'll get a late model, well maintained truck. Discounts are also available for making reservations on-line; also discounts for AAA members. Good luck.
Blue

wfay

Postby wfay » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:32 pm

I would also strongly suggest you look into Penske or Budget (I've had great experiences with Budget trucks) and doing it yourself.

Make sure you have enough rope to tie boxes against the walls of the truck to secure things etc and I don't expect you should find much (hopefully not any) of your property damaged.

I would avoid UHaul at all costs. Budget is much more professional -- it feels just like renting a car. And their trucks are in great condition the 2 times I've used them. I'm moving in 2-3 weeks and unless one of my quotes comes back absurdly low, I'm going with Budget again.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:46 pm

Make sure that when packing for UPS or a similar carrier, you pack for a six-foot drop. I learned the hard way on that one, moving from San Francisco to Houston about ten years ago... And they usually have a per-box limit unless you state a value for each one separately.

Good luck.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:24 pm

I let UPS pack my electronics for me. There was only a very small packing charge ($4 for the box) and that way I didn't have to worry about "improper packing" exclusions on the insurance coverage in case of damage. UPS usually double-boxes electronics and adds styrofoam packing peanuts all around.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”