Chicago to Durham -- Ferree, Prager, Graebel?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Durham_Bound

Chicago to Durham -- Ferree, Prager, Graebel?

Postby Durham_Bound » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Hello everyone! I've learned so much from this site. It helped me organize a more-or-less snag-free move to Chicago a few years ago using ABF and local movers. (I did terminal to terminal.) Now I have more stuff, less time, and a larger moving budget, so I'm going with a full service mover. I used the Chicago master list to pick agents to call. (I couldn't get an estimate from Planes/United because they are booked up for my moving date.)

I'm leaning toward Ferree Movers, Inc. a North American Van Lines Agent based in Indiana. I arranged for the estimate with them on accident, but I'm beginning to think it was a happy accident. I've been very pleased with the interaction I've had with them so far. I checked them out on the BBB and it gives them a satisfactory rating.

Ferree has given me a "guaranteed not to exceed" estimate of $3,699. That's for a 1-BR apartment, full packing. Weight estimate is 4,500 lbs. (I have quite a few books.) I'm selling stuff, so I hope it will be less. I had the estimate done with the stuff included in the shipment, since I might change my mind or something.

Graebel gave me an estimate too. They also seemed great (their representative was extremely helpful and patient), but the total estimate was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Ferree's. Weight estimate was 5607; plus, charges for packing and the shuttle were a bit more. What makes me anxious is that the estimate is not binding.

I have one more agent coming out on Saturday: Prager. I read good things about them here. I did notice that they have had four BBB complaints in the last 36 months. Ferree only had 2. Graebel only had 1. Graebel and Ferree are accredited with the BBB; Prager is not.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I think Graebel is out. Has anyone heard anything I should know about Prager and Ferree? Should I rethink my decision about Graebel?

And as just an additional bit of information: When I moved here I fit all of my stuff inside of 1 ABF relo-cube. I have since added three small folding bookcases, a desk, a file cabinet, a couch, and two end tables to my inventory. I brought each of these items into the house by myself (except the couch). I'm an out-of-shape woman. My point here is that my furniture is light weight (because it's inexpensive stuff from World Market and IKEA).

Thanks!!!

Diane

Re: Chicago to Durham -- Ferree, Prager, Graebel?

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey, if I give you advice will you post your review of ABF (if you haven't already, under a different name)? :wink:

It's often a good idea to choose a company that has an office in the place you're moving to, so the driver can get reliable help and so on. Graebel has an office in the Raleigh area, but you seem to have ruled it out because of cost. Armstrong also has an office near Raleigh. Had you considered getting a quote from them? They have good reviews and comments here.

Armstrong's quote may be similar to Graebel's, but I still think it would be worth it to get a quote from them.

Prager is a North American agent so it might give you a lower quote along the same lines as Ferree's. I'll try to find out something about Ferree for you.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:37 pm

You might consider another van line, rather than getting two quotes from North American agents. I'm not familiar with the market there, but is there an Allied or Mayflower agent?

Prager is great too, I'm just suggesting you diversify your choices.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Prager is a much larger agent than Ferree, and for it to have only 4 BBB complaints (0 in the last 12 months) is a very good record. If Prager's quote comes in similar to Ferree's, I personally would recommend using Prager just because of its stellar reputation in the industry.

Durham_Bound

Postby Durham_Bound » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies so far! Very helpful. And, yes, I will post an ABF review too. It was an uneventful move (yea!), but I suppose someone out there might want to see that terminal-to-terminal is pretty easy to do.

North American does have an agent in Durham: Dehaven. Some of the people I will be working with out there have used them and were pleased. So, that's another reason I'm leaning toward a North American agent on this end. I only meant to contact one of the North American agents, but got confused when I was transferring numbers to a post-it so that I could make estimate appointments while I was on the go. :shock:

I didn't call Allied because two people I work with here used them to move to Chicago and were very unhappy. Based on the advice so far, I think I will contact Armstrong for the sake of diversity -- and since they have an RTP-area agent as well.

Thanks!!! I'll keep you posted!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:16 pm

I just noticed that the Ferree Movers, Inc. in Highland, IN with phone 708-868-5160 has a Hostage Load complaint with the Illinois Commerce Commission for an interstate move - http://www.icc.illinois.gov/industry/tr ... _nbr=72963

You might want to call Pat McLaughlin of the IL warehousemen's association (contact info for Pat is listed under IL on the Superlist) to ask about this. It could be that the complaint was determined to be unfounded.

Return to “Open Community”