*Advice Please - Delaware (near Philly) to Los Angeles

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
realmingus

*Advice Please - Delaware (near Philly) to Los Angeles

Postby realmingus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi, I've learned a lot reading these boards. I'd love to get people's advice on our upcoming move from Delaware (very near Philadelphia) to Los Angeles at the end of the month. A shuttle will not be needed at origin or destination.

Here are the companies:
1. Bayshore / Allied (Newark, DE) Est. 13,500 lbs., $0 ded. $75k FRV

2. Hopkins and Sons/Atlas (Newark, DE) Est. 13,000 lbs., $0 ded. $75k FRV included

3. Holman Moving Systems/United (New Castle, DE) Est. 14,025 lbs., $0 ded. $75k FRV included

4. Berry Van Lines/Bekins (New Castle, DE) - Est. 13,000 lbs., $0 ded. $100k FRV included

I had tried to get a quote from Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc./Mayflower but they were unable to come out for another week and then it would be too late to book the move.

Everyone seems to be near the same ballpark for weight and pricing. Should I really get FRV with $0 ded at a cost of $600 to $1000? Other than comfort with the person who did the in-house survey, any other ways to distinguish these companies? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, John

UPDATE: Looks like we're going to go with Bayshore-their service and personal attention has been great so far. I'll try to update things next month after the move. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

FINAL UPDATE: Our move with Bayshore (almost 2 years ago) was not without peril. The load was split despite assurances it wouldn't be, the first half took a week longer than it was supposed to, and the 2nd half of the load took another 10 days or so after that. The movers let one of our pets out before we had secured them and then told a story about how they had once done something similar but found the pet in the truck the next day and let it go on the side of the road. I thought he was kidding but he assured me he was not. This did not sit well with us to say the least. Then again, it was also clear he was drunk and the driver of the truck was not happy with him or the other worker who left in the middle of the day. Sadly, these experiences are more our memory than the other folks who were largely professional. But in the end, several items were not properly inventoried (something I should have taken better note of during the load in, but missed during the pet drama) and loss claims were understandably dismissed due to lack of documentation. Damage amounted to more than $1000 which would have been excessive, but they handled repairs/replacement efficiently and agreeably because we had done FRV/$0 deductible insurance. Overall I would NOT use Bayshore again, though I found their partner on the LA side to be quite competent.
Last edited by realmingus on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

rydog444

Re: Delaware (near Philly) to Los Angeles

Postby rydog444 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:16 pm

you can check out what has been said about the movers in your area by clicking the link below.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7588#57588
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Diane

Re: Advice Please - Delaware (near Philly) to Los Angeles

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi - the quotes are probably not negotiable. The only thing I would say is that some Atlas agents will give you free FRV valuation coverage if you're a member of AAA. If the Atlas agent charged you for the valuation coverage, you should ask about that. With such a large load, and I am guessing that you have nice things, I personally would advise you to go for the 0 deductible for peace of mind. People have posted here that you may get more careful handling of your items if you buy this coverage.

I don't know anything about Hopkins, but Bayshore and Holman are top agents for their respective van lines. Bekins has some good agents (like Berry), but posts here and elsewhere on the Internet suggest that the van line doesn't have a very good record for paying on damage claims.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bosoxfan

Re: Advice Please - Delaware (near Philly) to Los Angeles

Postby bosoxfan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:16 pm

You will not go wrong with either Bayshore or Holman - highly respected agents for Allied and United. It would not hurt to call Wayne Moving and Storage out of West Chester if you wanted to acquire another quote.

Return to “Open Community”