schumacher debacle

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
bebewanna

schumacher debacle

Postby bebewanna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:26 am

i thought id post my experience here

i dropped offr my vehicle in the end of january as i was told they could get it out faster if i got it there right away.
it never left miami for genoa as they said and then i was told it would take several more months now to get it on a ship to genoa........i was never contacted as to the changes and only found out because my mother in the usa called about who was the receiver. their excuses ran from backed up usa customs to customs on strike in genoa, but funny the boats keep on leaving for genoa, but there was always an excuse that made no sense.

then over 4 months after i drop it off, it arrives in genoa and the italian receiver says he has received no documents and i cannot get the land rover......then still no contact from schumacher italian receiver (sittam) tells me i will be paying demurrage and a bunch of other port charges since i cant pick up the car.

i question schumacher and again receive no response at all.......then sittam tells me documents for car are seemingly lost ....... again i question schumacher and am told they needed to get new registration for the vehicle but nothing else.

when i go to get the car...........the registration they got states i sold the vehicle to some unkown person for $350 usd and it is now registered in alabama in someone elses name instead of washington where i live and i am listed as the seller, not the owner......no title for vehicle or paperwork for goods inside, they seemingly disappeared.

luckily smart guy who clears cars in genoa for sittam gets it passed but we must sneak out of port genoa so they dont question me........imagine going from croatia to genoa to find you no longer own your own vehicle and have no documents to clear anything and you must drive across italy and get into croatia.........i drove very carefully across italy and didnt get stopped thank god.

i have sent several letters to schumacher with no response to date.....

i have no title and dont know what happened to it.........luckily i had a registration saved in computer and got it copied in ancona and croatia didnt notice it was a copy since it was printed in color.

now i dont own my own vehicle, alabama is looking into it as they werent happy about it.......and still schumacher says nothing, but i paid more to pick up car than to ship it cause of charges for it sitting in container.....

what recourse do i have if any.........lawyer is looking into the matter in florida............all they needed to do was notify me, not hide from me and the problem could have been easily resolved, but they never respond.

its a very sad story.......and now 5 months later and a long time not working waiting on the car and low on funds i might need to move back home:>(((.............. oh well............id be careful of schumacher.........unbelievable and im not the only one

bebewanna

Re: schumacher debacle

Postby bebewanna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:58 am

hello, my battery died and i have no power at my hvar island new house and i wanted to add this

i may not have a case against schumacher for the shipping problem, but they will have a difficult time ignoring the investigator from Alabama as they are doing with me, as i was informed they committed fraud by applying for the registration there instead of washington and then by someone signing the other mans name to it, ive got them dead to right. i am writing the other man by postal service , i think the cool old austin healey in the container belongs to him but i am not sure and im sure he wont be too happy about this either.

especially sending the bogus registration to italy for italian customs,
i will happily press charges against them........i am a very creative guy and retired nasty political campaign coordinator, i am well versed in how to make someones life difficult and network my deals with government.

well thanks for the forum guys , maybe this will keep someone else from trusting them as i did............. but ill teach them how to be a blood sucker and they wont likely forget me.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 am

What??? While your car sat waiting to be shipped they sold it to some guy for a few bucks? Is that what you said?

bebewanna

Postby bebewanna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:25 am

technically they did not sell the vehicle............evidently the title and paperwork for both vehicles in the container were lost but since they never informed me and wont answer my requests for information im not sure how.

the other vehicle in the container im guessing was titled in alabama......and somehow they applied and got a registration for my vehicle in alabama instead of doing it in washington....how they got it without a bill of sale im not sure....they registered my antique land rover in the owners name of the other vehicle in the container and on the registration (which i have in my posession now thanks to the cooperation of the manager at Sittam the company in italy who received the vehicle) it shows i sold the vehicle to the other man for $350.00, and the registration has my name as seller and my vin number from the rover on it and the other cars owner as owner to my car.

so technically i didnt sell it.......but if i didnt have the original registration scanned at office depot before i left usa......croatia would not have let me into the country since the plates say washington and dont match the plates listed on the alabama registration, they looked very carefully when i got off the ferry since classic cars in washington only get a rear license plate, they questioned me about it, but i have lots of croatian government paperwork for company and residence so they believed me.......but that customs woman spoke great english and im sure she'd have noticed since she was looking very hard.........the rover is an old safari model and a well known big time stolen vehicle.

alabama law clearly states due to a federal privacy act about motor vehicles they cannot get that information without my written consent, which im guessing they had for the other vehicle and somehow managed to get alabama to issue the registration for my land rover. but they did not get it from me i assure you. washington told me if it was there they would have a very serious problem and alabama agrees.
so im not sure what it means, i have the vehicle but no title. and alabama records now show i sold it to the other guy and have no title to prove otherwise.

who knows what schumacher was up to, but they broke the law, thats all i know and after getting the car 4 months late and a ton of extra charges cause it sat so long, i wanted some answers which they wont give me. thats not suprising.

yes im confused as to how they did all of this also......

like the manager from sittam who through out all of this i became good friends with wrote to me "imagine tim if italian customs notices the registration doesnt match plates or realizes the registration says i sold the vehicle" then it is still sitting in genoa port because even if i show my original registration they dont believe i am the owner since the date on bogus registration is 7 months after the date on mine and i just spent alot of money to go to genoa for nothing.

the question is why they did it and even if they made a mistake which is difficult to buy, nobody noticed what we did that i sold it........ they knew at schumacher what was going on, but didnt care. i questioned them about what was going on with the paperwork but they didnt tell me there was a problem.........very un-professional.

bebewanna

Postby bebewanna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:42 am

and on another note........... there are 2 black leather hides missing from my vehicle and after spending alot of time with the guys in italy i doubt they disappeared in their warehouse. especially since its a big open space.

you can take that any way you like but it sat in miami for 4 months in a warehouse dark and away from the office.........its hard to blame anyone when you arent sure but add it up.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am

I am sorry to hear about all of your problems and extra expensive.

Your should contact the Federal Maritime Commission via their at www.fmc.gov and file a complaint against them for the shipping issues. The shipping company cannot ignore the FMC and the FMC may be able to get answers for you quickly. You should be sure to tell the FMC the exact amount for the demurrage you paid in the port showing receipts of the fees.

I hope you are able to resolve the issues of the registration through the Alabama authorities

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Oh, so they re-did the paperwork so your car could get through customs, but it's left big problems on the other end.

bebewanna

Postby bebewanna » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:20 am

yes i guess thats what their intention was to get it thru customs......but why not just do the same thing in washington state where they would have gotten the right paperwork...........and why report id sold it ???

most of all for me is the fact that they have never contacted me about the problem or informed me about anything at all or when i questioned what was going on why not tell me what happened. they sewemingly feel no responsibility for what happens after the crate leaves the usa.

i will go ahead and contact the FMC and will post that information on the other forum im on with other complaints about their business practices. the demurrage charges came to about $500.00 usd (330 euros)plus about $175 for storage (115 euros) and add the 20% italian tax and we are at about $810 total..........which 1 message to me could have solved without any of those charges since i had the right paperwork saved...........its very aggravating.

my real big question is who and why did alabama give the paper in the first place, that makes no sense either.....

ok well ill let you know what comes of all of this

hvala......(thanks in hrvatska)......... :>)))

Return to “International Moves”