Moving from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR in one month (August 2008)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Spcadz

Moving from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR in one month (August 2008)

Postby Spcadz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Got a quote over the phone with Unity Van Lines. I talked to them prior to learning about this site. They had the nerve to include the following in their email:

"Please be careful in choosing a moving company; there are many companies giving my industry a bad name.

Here are a couple of websites that are very important when it comes to choosing a moving company:

www.bbb.org

www.movingscam.com

www.protectyourmove.gov

www.moving.org"

I will be careful. In fact, a representative from AC White is coming to my house tomorrow to give me a quote. It only makes since for someone to actually SEE your stuff before they can tell you how much it will cost to move it.

The quote from Unity was $4324.10. I also got a phone quote from Green Van Lines.

I decided at the last minute to get a quote from Suddath. My uncle works with Kraft and that is who they use for relocations. My husband's old office was located near their old offices, as well.

After much consideration, I went with Suddath. I know that AC White is a great company and I have also heard great things about Suddath. It was a hard choice.

I will give an update at the end of August.

I must say that I am very glad that I came across MovingScam.com.

Spcadz

Re: Moving from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR in one month (August 2008)

Postby Spcadz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Quick question for the professionals:

Which is normally loaded first, the boxes or the furniture? Because the crew decided to load the boxes first and when they were good and tired and in a rush decided to load the furniture.

Here are a couple of quick remarks:

One of the crew members that loaded up the truck in Atlanta decided to light up a cigarette in the truck. Not cool. I informed his supervisor who told him if he needed to smoke to walk down the street to do it. I caught him smoking again standing beside the truck opening later.

Suddath sent a truck (local truck, not a United or Mayflower truck) too small to carry all of our belongings. They had to unload some of the stuff at a warehouse and come back to get the rest. They arrived at 8:00am and did not finish until 10:00pm. We were anxious to get on the road since we were driving a RV to Portland, Oregon. Needless to say we were exhausted by the end of the day. I was carrying a 25lb 9 month old in a sling all day to top it off. We could have left a lot sooner if they sent a truck that was big enough.

The Mayflower driver that ended up delivering our stuff to Portland was a nice guy and communicated with us via cell phone throughout the drive. That was pretty cool.

All 100+ boxes that I packed arrived and nothing inside the boxes were broken. (I haven't opened all of them yet as of today.) We did not have very much furniture, but they seemed to have scratched most of it. One item in particular is my glider/rocker that I use to rock said baby. Just a little sentimental about that one.

I will post more if/when I have time. I hope the info helps.
Last edited by Spcadz on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Re: **Moving from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR in one month (August 2008)

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Removed

Return to “Open Community”