Urgent: Move to New York from Baltimore, MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Daniel

Urgent: Move to New York from Baltimore, MD

Postby Daniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:49 pm

Hi,
This is Daniel back with an update regarding my move from Baltimore to New York, after I decided against VIP Van lines in the end of June.

I received a quote from Allegheny Transfer and Storage Co, agent for Allied Van lines (MC15735), 4315 Eastern Av. Baltimore, MD. 800-638-7410.

They gave me a quote today after visiting our home for $1695.00. This is one of the more reasonable quotes I have gotten so far considering the time of move as well as the high demand...so I am inclined to go with this Co.

Therefore, I would appreciate it if you could give any more info on this Co.

Also, what is my next step and what are GNTE etc....? How shuld I proceed....

I sincerely appreciate all your help...hopefully I can make a decision soon.

Thanks a ton.

DAniel.

Tyrone

Re: Urgent: Move to New York from Baltimore, MD

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:11 pm

GNTE stands for Guaranteed Not To Exceed. It is the best type of estimate to get.

Also, did they give you a copy of the "Rights And Responsibilities" booklet from the FMCSA with a publication date of May 2004?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:18 pm

The agent should give you an Order for Service before the day of the move. This will confirm your dates, price, addresses and valuation. I would ask them to fax it to you the same day you book the move. Then you have time to iron out any problems with it.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Thanks Tyrone,

They did give me the "Rights and REsponsibilities" booklet 2004 prepared by the FHWA furnished by Allied VAn lines USDOT:076235. They also gave me a "Guide to a good move" booklet as well as "Do it yourself guide for professional packing results" and "allied protection plan.

On the quote it says "Total guaranteed price based on 105 total pieces only".

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:49 pm

Be careful... some movers will do things like this to artificially inflate the item count:

Let's say you have a your stereo set consisting of a cd player, tape deck, surround sound receiver and 5 speakers.

On the estimate they will list it as 1 stereo.

On moving day: the movers insist that each component must be packed separately. Thus your "1 item" is now "8 items" since they insist on packing each component and each speaker in its own individual box.

Now you have just "added" seven items to your shipment. :roll:

With only a few instances of this, the movers can quickly invalidate your price by claiming that you added items and went over the total quoted item count of 105.

Also, how many pages is the booklet they gave you. Based on your description it sounds like the old one which is now illegal to give out. The new one is a FMCSA publication and its date is clearly marked MAY 2004.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Natasha Fatale

Postby Natasha Fatale » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:15 pm

Back in 1997, the FHWA was a new agency and new to the moving industry and consumer protection. At that time, AMSA helpfully "volunteered" to "update" the Your R&R booklet for FHWA by re-drafting the text to replace mentions of the now-defunct ICC with FHWA. While AMSA was at it, it wrote in the additional services loophole into the definition of both binding and non-binding estimates. It was particularly important for AMSA to put the loophole into the definition of binding estimates because AMSA's experience (and common sense) showed it that customers who got binding (and especially so-called "guaranteed not to exceed" quotes) were much less likely to pay the bill for additional services that the moving company sent to the customer after delivery of the goods. (Even on bills sent to customers who got non-binding estimates, the moving company's collection rate was still only 50%.)

AMSA then helpfully printed out 20,000 copies of this FHWA version of the booklet -- at AMSA's own expense -- and mailed them out to all the FHWA field offices nationwide, explaining to the field offices that this was the new official booklet and to hand it out to all inquiring consumers. Now that the legal, FMCSA-drafted version has come out, AMSA and many of its members can't seem to even tell customers that the booklet can be downloaded from the FMCSA website, or link to it from their own company websites.

Anyway, the FHWA version was never a valid version. The important thing today is that you get the FMCSA version -- the first valid version since the disbandment of the ICC in 1995.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:28 pm

Tyrone wrote:Be careful... some movers will do things like this to artificially inflate the item count:

Let's say you have a your stereo set consisting of a cd player, tape deck, surround sound receiver and 5 speakers.

On moving day: the movers insist that each component must be packed separately. Thus your "1 item" is now "8 items" since they insist on packing each component and each speaker in its own individual box.

Now you have just "added" seven items to your shipment. :roll:

With only a few instances of this, the movers can quickly invalidate your price by claiming that you added items and went over the total quoted item count of 105.[/b]

i will definitely keep this is in mind....should I do the packing or let the movers do it?

I am not sure how many pages there are in the booklet. Since I am at work now, I have no way of knowing that until later.

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:44 pm

Be careful... some movers will do things like this to artificially inflate the item count:

Now you have just "added" seven items to your shipment.

Very good point! Another one to think about is a bed, on the inventory it says 1 Bed, but in all honesty, you have 2 rails, headboard, footboard, mattress, box spring, and some slats!

Also, a mover will estimate dishpacks which are 5.2 cubic feet, when you pack yourself, you might use (3) 1.5 cubic feet boxes instead of 1 dishpack, therefore tripling the number of items you are shipping.

Anyways, I wish you luck with your move!

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:51 pm

Now that the legal, FMCSA-drafted version has come out, AMSA and many of its members can't seem to even tell customers that the booklet can be downloaded from the FMCSA website, or link to it from their own company websites.

And you have a list of those many non-complying members right?

If you didn't get it from them, please read it here: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/factsfigs/rights.htm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:52 pm

Just to be safe, here is the correct and up-to-date version of the booklet. Rather than wait for the movers to shuffle out the new ones, just download it, print it, and read it yourself.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:02 pm

Thanks all of you guys....

Nancy wrote:The agent should give you an Order for Service before the day of the move. This will confirm your dates, price, addresses and valuation. I would ask them to fax it to you the same day you book the move. Then you have time to iron out any problems with it.

Now, should I ask the agent for a GNTE or should I go for the Order of Service. What are the things I should do or keep in mind?

Sorry for asking all these naive questions....but this is my first time move.

Daniel

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:05 pm

Daniel,

An Order for Service is the same as an Estimate/Order for Service (your estimate)

It should clearly state on there that it is binding. In your case, Allied has given you their TPG (Total Price Guarantee) I think with them you will pay that price regardless of the weight! You will have to ask their office!

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:22 pm

23 wrote:
Now that the legal, FMCSA-drafted version has come out, AMSA and many of its members can't seem to even tell customers that the booklet can be downloaded from the FMCSA website, or link to it from their own company websites.

And you have a list of those many non-complying members right?

I don't understand why you are asking me whether I have a list or if you are implying that I am personally attacking you, your agent, or your van line. Many posters here have stated that the moving companies they have contacted for estimates have either not given them a booklet or given them the invalid FHWA version. If you and your agency hands out the right one, then it is to your credit.

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:38 pm

Very Funny!

I did not take it as a personal attack! I took it as you had information you were not sharing about the many AMSA members that were not telling customers about it or linking it to their websites that you might have checked out and verified!

Scammers do not hand out any information!

Natasha Fatale

Postby Natasha Fatale » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:05 pm

So let my statement stand clarified in this manner: Judging by posts from recent visitors to this message board, a not inconsiderable number of moving companies, including agents of major van lines, all of whom are AMSA members, have either: (i) failed to hand out the valid, FMCSA-drafted Your Rights & Responsibilities booklet (even after telling the customer that one would be mailed to the customer); or (ii) handed out the invalid FHWA version.

I have not kept track of which companies have done this (according to these posts), but a list could certainly be easily compiled.

It is not known to me how many moving companies, AMSA member or not, are handing out the right booklet. From my own admittedly cursory scan of moving company websites, I have found one website -- Cor-O-Van -- that links to the new version. Infamous scamming broker National Moving Network links to the FHWA version.

It is a fact that AMSA went out of its way to distribute the FHWA version to government field offices and members.

Return to “Open Community”