I'd Like To Tell You About My Move

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
LizS

I'd Like To Tell You About My Move

Postby LizS » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:56 am

Hello, my name is Liz. I just moved from Chicago to the North Bay area of California. I decided to go with Northland Moving Corp of Chicago, IL, after some research on the BBB website.

I do have to say that Katie, who took my phone call and set up the move, was very nice and helpful. She answered all of my questions and made me feel pretty confident. She was the best part about the move.

The truck came on June 23rd, 2008 and was actually on time. They gave me a 2 hour time frame that the truck 'could' show up, but they were there right away. I had 4 guys to move my one bedroom of belongings, plus a few extra things. The packaging and everything went pretty quick. My only concern was that the guy that was in charge of everything, including inventory and all other paperwork, was extremely unorganized. I'm pretty sure he said something about the paperwork not normally being part of his job. For the most part he seemed to know what he was doing, so I wasn't worried.

I had my belongings stored with Northland Moving until I had a place for them to deliver. Once they were on the road, it was to take 7-14 days. I received a call from the driver on Wednesday, July 16th, and he said he was most likely going to be at my apartment on Friday, July 18th, in the evening.

When Friday came around, I waited all afternoon and evening for a call from the driver. He finally called me around 7:00pm and said that he was not going to be there that night, but would call me the next day (Saturday) and let me know a time frame. I waited until about noon on Saturday until I had to call him back myself to see what was going on. He said he was unloading another delivery and would call me back when he was done. I waited until about 5:00pm and tried him again. He didn't answer but called me back a little while later and said he was not going to be at my place that night, but he would for sure be there on Sunday morning. He said he had a problem and was delayed, but I did not get a further explanation from there. On Sunday morning around 8:15am, I received a call from the driver and he told me he was 60 miles from my house and would be there in approximately 1 1/2 hours. I waited around for about 4 hours and I never heard anything. I tried calling the driver 2 times with no answer. Around 3:00pm, the driver finally called back.

The driver told me that he was contracted out by Northland Moving. He said Northland Moving owed him $3,700 and he was not going to deliver my belongings until he was paid. He told me I had to call Northland and tell them all of this and as soon as he saw the money in his account, he would deliver my belongings. Keep in mind this is a Sunday afternoon. Nothing is open. I could do absolutely nothing at this point but wait. I called local law enforcement that wouldn't do anything for me, not even give me advice.

At 8:00am on Monday morning I called Northland. I spoke with a woman who I had not dealt with before and told her my situation. She chuckled a little as she told me I was the second person to call in with the same complaint about the same driver. Apparently this guy was holding someone else's things as well. She said her business manager was 20 minutes away and as soon as he was in, this would get worked out. While I was waiting to hear back, the driver called me twice. Both times he told me I have to call back and press harder with Northland. Of course he "didn't want to hold my belongings." I waited a little longer after that and called Northland back. I was on hold for 25 minutes before I finally hung up. Shortly after that, it is 11:00am by now, the driver called me back and said everything was worked out and he was about 8 miles from my place.

He arrived and was very apologetic. He and his partner worked quickly to unload the truck and they were actually very nice. I expressed my discontent with the situation, and he was pretty understanding. While they were unloading I noticed some things.

-My DVD stand was demolished. Unrepairable. Shelves were broken completely off and the bottom was broken off as he unwrapped the blanket that was around it.

-I had a plastic storage bin with drawers that was packed separate from anything else that was missing.

-I had 3 large paintings that were protected and boxed together that also did not show.

The driver showed little to no care about any of this and said the only thing I could do was file a claim within 60 days. He wasn't even going to check and see if anyone reported getting items delivered that weren't theirs.

After the driver left, I started unpacking. I had a 30 gallon plastic bin that was taped shut, and taped well. I noticed a majority of the tape was gone. When I opened it, there was a skillet and my brand new flatware missing. Everything else was there except for these 2 things. I still have yet to look through everything else, but it seems ok so far.

I still can't believe my stuff was essentially held ransom for a problem that really had nothing to do with me. Does this happen often? I can't say anything was ruined and nothing bad happened except for some emotional discomfort during all of this. Is this something I should pursue or report?

I know this was long, but thanks for listening and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

farrah7031

Re: **I'd Like To Tell You About My Move

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:55 am

What's the name of the company that Northland contracted your move out to?

LizS

Postby LizS » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm glad you can't see me because you'd probably smack me upside the head for this, but I don't know the name of the company. My stuff had to be shuttled so I didn't even get to see his truck.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:41 pm

It's not on the paperwork that you received?

LizS

Postby LizS » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm at work, so I'll double check when I go back home and can look at it. I don't remember seeing it though.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:28 am

Farrah wouldn't smack you! Archie, maybe.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:37 am

Naw, I ain't smackin nobody.....I probably need to be smacked sometimes myself.....any volunteers?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:57 pm

No, I was saying that Farrah wouldn't smack her, but Farrah might smack Archie
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:23 pm

I would smack Archie. :wink:

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:32 pm

Ohhhh, ok thats fine, I don't mind being smacked, as long as the right person(s) is/are doing the smacking. Like Joan Jett used to sing, hit me with your best shot.

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Sorry Archie, that was Pat Benatar,. Thats the first time I've seen you miss on Classic rock. Do you know this one? Mommy's alright, Daddy's all right, they just seem a little weird?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Jenna Bush?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Jenna Bush. That made me laugh out loud

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:53 pm

touche, Diane

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 pm

YEah, Surrender by Cheap Trick.....I thought that mighta been Pat Benatar, I get her and Joan confused, they came along during my country music phase.....Country music is always about the two things that made this country great, drinking and cheating.

Return to “Report A Scam”