Mayflower Molloy, NYC to Los Angeles, GREAT EXPERIENCE

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cds718

Mayflower Molloy, NYC to Los Angeles, GREAT EXPERIENCE

Postby cds718 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:54 am

First of all, this whole experience would have been much more stressful without this site so many, many thanks to the administrators and all who regularly post here. I've been on and off for the past few weeks so apologies if some of this is a repeat but thought it would be helpful to others to have it all in one place.

Moving from Brooklyn, NY to Los Angeles. Somewhat complicated move. My husband has to stay in our house in Brooklyn until Jan. for work. I'm moving now so my kids can start school in Sept. Brought probably 3/4 of our stuff to LA but left some behind. We have a pretty big collection of art work, some of which is valuable and large and needs to be crated, and I decided to leave all of that for the January move and see how the first move goes before deciding who to use. We got three estimates: Mayflower/Molloy, Moovers and Plycon (due to their reputation for moving fine art). Plycon was high, Molloy and Moovers the same: estimating about $10,000. Big difference was a 21-day deliver window for Moovers. Molloy offered 7 days but were confident of hitting it within a day or 2. This is important because I only had this week (a week my husband had off and my kids are away at camp) to fly out to LA and meet the truck and do some unpacking. Also, as noted here, had a lot of trouble getting Moovers to return my calls and emails. (Still waiting for that call back about narrowing the delivery window. :wink:)

Both my husband and I had a good feeling about Molloy. I was nervous because they have a "cautious" rating here but the info. seemed old and poking around on other sites also clearly many complaints from one very disgruntled customer. They were the group that spent the most time with us and answered our questions best, so we took a leap. Didn't do a binding estimate due to constantly changing my mind about what was going and what was staying.

Last Monday was pack day. I had them pack almost everything and they were fantastic. On-time, pleasant, careful. Patient with my "in this room these 4 things go, but these 8 stay." In a nice surprise, the lead packer they sent, Tim, had worked for Sotheby's for 15 years moving fine art and antiques. He spent a lot of time going over our art and talking about how we should move it in January and told me to request him then so he could "pack it perfectly." I was thrilled and will absolutely request him.

Tuesday was load day. Mayflower was the only group who said they could do it without a shuttle, which made me nervous. But we picked an alternate side parking day and everything worked out great. Our driver, Bob, was there along with 3 other guys. They were quick but careful. Wrapped everything perfectly. Bob told me he believed he'd be in Los Angeles this Wed. after dropping 2 other households of in Phoenix. Took our cell number and I crossed my fingers. My move manager Virginia called me the next day to say my weight was under the estimate and my real charges just over $9,000.

Sunday afternoon Bob called to say he'd be at the LA house between 8am and 8:30am on Wed. morning as he thought, which was Day 2 of the 7 day window and the day I was hoping they would come. They were there on the dot. One thing that Mayflower promised us is that they wouldn't use "summer help" on the other end, everyone they used was a full-time Mayflower mover. I'm not sure what that means exactly (or if it's perfectly true) but our crew here: James, Edward, Ernesto and Bob were fantastic. Unloaded in 3 hours flat. Moved some things for me when I changed my mind. Helped me find the "important' kitchen box.

So far, nothing is damaged or broken (haven't unpacked every box. that might take well into next year!) No walls scratched on either end. Just a completely pleasant, reassuring experience. I kept crews on both ends well-hydrated and fed (and tipped due to the great work), which they really seemed to appreciate.

Happy to say my experience with Mayflower/Molloy was so smooth during the busy move season and I'll definitely use them again in January.
Thanks again to everyone here.

ArchieWhite

Re: **Mayflower Molloy, NYC to Los Angeles, GREAT EXPERIENCE

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 am

Summer help is usually college students, out of school for summer....most of the smart ones return to school, and get some kind of degree, so as not to end up as permanent help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:45 am

cds718,

I'm glad that you had such a good initial move with Molloy and I'll update the Superlist to reflect what you posted today.

This website does tend to err on the side of caution when advising customers. Companies listed with a :alert: symbol aren't necessarily undesirable, and the status of things can certainly change as more reviews come in. I do think that you may have had especially good treatment because this was the first part of a two-part move and Molloy knew that if they treated you well, they would be likely to get the second move, which I'm assuming (because of all the artwork) will be lucrative for them. This is not to disparage what they did for you in any way, but only to (I think) be realistic. A person with a 2500-pound shipment who would never be seen again might not have gotten the same treatment. Or might have. We just don't know.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cds718

Postby cds718 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Diane, that's possible from the NYC perspective. But the guys unloading here didn't know anything about a 2nd move. I mentioned it at the end of the day and they were surprised. Also, although they might make a little more money packing the art, it costs exactly the same to ship as other stuff, right? They've estimated the second move at around $3-4,000, it's not nearly as much stuff so I'm not sure that 2nd amount is worth them acting completely different with me. I understand that a smaller move might not get the same attention but I guess that would be true when going with any mover.

Hate to see my circumstances throw their good work into question. Maybe someone will use them for a smaller move and review here.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:42 am

Don't worry, I will give them full credit for their good work on the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”