just started planning DEC move, please help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Amagen1

just started planning DEC move, please help

Postby Amagen1 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:39 pm

Hello,
I just started info and estimate gathering for a move from Louisiana to Nevada. Given all the info availible on this site, I am considering trying to move my stuff by U-haul, or someother such company. Any feed back on whether or not that is a reasonable idea, as well as any hints on how to project costs ( gas, hotells, food, anything else?) and the time it would take would be very much appreciated.
Also, am I being too cautious? should I continue trying to find a reputable company? From what I gather, that seems like a daunting, near-impossible feat.

Thanks,
Adrienne

Tyrone

Re: just started planning DEC move, please help

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:53 pm

First, you are definitely on the right track. Self-moves are the only way to guarantee that you will not be trapped in a hostage load situation.

As far as the best company to rent a truck from, U-Haul is the lowest rated. I believe that Penske is the highest rated, but either way I would suggest you try and get a reservation with other companies and only use U-Haul as a last resort. (Common U-Haul complaints include no trucks available to fill existing reservations, and trucks that generally in a worse state of repairs than their competitors).

However, let me make it clear that when it comes to protecting your worldly possions, even U-Haul is FAR better to hiring a "professional mover".
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply

My instincts say to go with a self-move. But I am not familiar with any companies other than U-Haul, and I havent had much luck on yahoo searches ( just more moving companies.)
know any others I could look into, off the top of your head ( not seeking an endorsement)

Adrienne

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:02 pm

I believe the highest rated is Penske. You can also try Budget and Ryder.

Note: there are scam moving companies operating under the names "Budget Movers", "Ryder Movers", etc. Make sure that you are dealing with the truck rental companies and NOT the full service movers!

At least you won't get home sick when you move to Nevada... it seems like half the population that lives in Las Vegas came from Tallulah!
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:18 pm

Here are some helpful links:

Penske:
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/person ... index.html

Ryder / Budget (they are the same company):
http://www.yellowtruck.com

I would avoid U-Haul just because of some of the recent negative reports that consumer have provided recently. I used Budget two years ago and was very happy with them.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

wfay

Postby wfay » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:04 pm

I have used Budget and UHaul before and been very happy with Budget, less so with Uhaul. The UHaul prices on supplies are pretty good though, so don't avoid them completely. And their trailers (not trucks) are usually fine to rent.

I would at least get quotes on Full service move just to see how they compare to doing it yourself. Maybe its worth a couple hundred more to let someone else deal with your stuff.

Personally I like to move my stuff myself. I arrange local help on both ends which I supervise, rent a truck with car carrier, and just do it. I keep possession of my goods and know the cause of any damage or loss -- me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:28 pm

wfay wrote:I would at least get quotes on Full service move just to see how they compare to doing it yourself. Maybe its worth a couple hundred more to let someone else deal with your stuff.

I just want to caution people that this was the way I too was thinking last summer, and that's what led me to visit MovingOrbit.com, type in "small move," input my contact information, and unleash the scammers on myself.

:arrow: No reputable full-service mover is going to cost only a couple of hundred dollars more than a self-move option like ABF or a rental van. If a company gives you a quote in this price range, it is virtually certain to be a scammer.

Moving with a reputable full-service mover is expensive because those companies have to pay for insurance, workers' comp, payments on moving vans, mortgages on buildings, phone bills that they don't run out on, and so on. Scammers don't do any of that.

I really appreciate the great contributions that "wfay" has been making to the discussion, but I couldn't let this comment pass without a warning. I saw a similar remark made on one of the www.studentdoctor.net forums and stepped in to warn the students there as well, so I don't mean it as a criticism. I'm just trying to prevent people from being scammed.

wfay

Postby wfay » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:23 am

Hi Diane and others,

Here's a comparison of Penske and a top tier moving company for my recent move (simply estimates, didn't use either service).

32256 to 38119, 720miles, moving 2nd floor to 2nd floor

Penske
pick up 6/27 and return 7/1
25ft truck (price was same as 20ft) $780
car carrier (not dolly) for my 98 Mustang $340
6 doz furniture pads $90
1 hand truck $20
limited damage waiver $60
labor in origin $300 (based on estimate, letting them load everything)
labor in destination $200 (guessing, seems about right)
gas $200
taxes $100
total $2090

Top tier moving company, in top 3, non-scammer
(based on in-person GNTE estimate)
load on 6/27, unsure about unloading date, was not firm
loading, transit, unloading 5k lbs $2550

So its 25% more money, a little less than $500 more, which is really not *that* much. More than "a couple hundred dollars" to be fair. But I get to keep control of my stuff and can avoid some hotel costs by loading everything but the mattresses at origin, sleeping overnight, driving to destination and unloading just the mattresses at the new place.

I personally chose Budget because they cost less ($420 for the truck and $180 for the carrier vs $780/$340) and I've had good experiences with them in past moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:38 am

Wfay,

Thanks so much for giving us this comparison and very thorough cost breakdown. I was actually thinking more of comparing the cost of a DITY mover like BE or ABF with the cost of a full-service mover like the one you mentioned. Also, your full-service quote didn't include moving your car as the Penske option did, right?

According to the rough estimator tool on the Broadway Express website at www.broadwayexpress.net, moving 10 linear feet of goods (roughly your 5,000 pounds) within their Zone 4--FL to TN--would cost $910 plus $73 fuel surcharge. Then, adding $500 for loading and unloading labor as you did for the Penske rental would amount to $1483 which is far below your full-service mover's GNTE of $2550. (I am not considering the car so as to make an apples to apples comparison.)

My point was just that people should be suspicious if a supposedly full-service company comes in with a quote that is only a little above the cost of a DITY mover. I think you and I probably agree on this.

wfay

Postby wfay » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:52 am

Diane wrote:My point was just that people should be suspicious if a supposedly full-service company comes in with a quote that is only a little above the cost of a DITY mover. I think you and I probably agree on this.

DEFINITELY!

I would drive the Mustang if ABF or full-service mover was taking care of my possessions -- gas would be $80, so barely worth mentioning, :)

My only comment... You should add another $100-200 for furniture pads and the hand truck. I've spoken with Budget and UHaul and they are not terribly interested in renting you supplies unless you rent a truck from them. So now you have to buy a dolly ($50 at Staples) and possibly some furniture pads (very expensive new) or perhaps throw-away comforters from Walmart etc.

These "moving supplies" were included in the Penske estimate above and were definitely included in the full-service move quote. And I wouldn't want to consider moving without them.

PS- I was not able to seriously consider ABF/BE for my move, as neither of my apt communities will allow them on the premises. I could use a local shuttle/van but that suddenly becomes a much bigger hassle than I'm interested in. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:36 am

Thanks for your PM--I'll get back to you shortly.

wfay wrote:My only comment... You should add another $100-200 for furniture pads and the hand truck. . . . These "moving supplies" were included in the Penske estimate above and were definitely included in the full-service move quote. And I wouldn't want to consider moving without them.

Just a clarification: the BE quote DOES include pads and hand trucks, since these are on every trailer they use for self-moves. That's one reason I like BE so much, even as opposed to ABF, which I also like. BE has air-ride trailers and use of all necessary equipment is included, whereas with ABF all you get is the empty trailer. You even have to rent the ramp (walkboard), which is included with BE.

I was not able to seriously consider ABF/BE for my move, as neither of my apt communities will allow them on the premises. I could use a local shuttle/van but that suddenly becomes a much bigger hassle than I'm interested in.

Again, just a point of clarification: the two companies are different. ABF is a problem sometimes because they usually have to leave the trailer for you to load, although a "live load" option is available in some locations. However, with BE the driver waits while you load and usually can even double-park on a public street during that time (probably about 3 hours would be needed to load 10 feet of goods). If he has to move the truck during the loading to let blocked cars out, he can. Also, BE can move people's cars on the trailers with the household goods whereas ABF doesn't do this.

I know you are satisfied with your decision to use Penske, and I totally agree with it, but just wanted to clarify these points for others reading this who might not know the advantages of BE over ABF with regard to equipment provided, parking considerations, and ability to move cars on the trailer. The two companies are very different in these respects.

wfay

Postby wfay » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the clarifications Diane. I have no desire to lead people astray with misinformation, and appreciate your comments.

You clearly know a lot more about BE/ABF than I do. Maybe next time I move I will educate myself properly by using their services for myself. :)

Return to “Open Community”