My experience with Corrigan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jamcracker

My experience with Corrigan

Postby jamcracker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am

Hi all, I am not quite sure of where to post this since it is not a scam but a review of my move with Corrigan. I apologize if it is in the wrong forum.

My move was from MI to NC. After reading reviews on this site, I contacted 3 companies for quotes. These are not-to-exceed quotes

- Premier Mayflower: ~2800lbs ~$1900
- Imlach: ~3400lbs ~$2400
- Corrigan: ~3100lbs ~$2100

I decided to go with Corrigan since all prices were comparable and they had the dates I wanted. The final weight ended up being slightly more than the estimate at ~3200lbs and I paid the binding quote.

I was supposed to get a confirmed pickup time 48hrs before the move but did not get any phone calls. So on the morning before the move, I called them up. The secretary told me that my coordinator was on the phone with another customer so I left a voicemail. Afternoon, still no phone call, so I called them back. I was informed that long distance driver was late coming into town so they could not schedule a pickup yet. After a few mins on hold, she said she would send a shuttle at no cost to pick up stuff and they will transfer it to the right truck when it comes into town.

Movers arrived on the dot at 8.30am and was very professional and careful with stuff. The 2 guys finished loading at 12.30pm.

A few days later at the new place, I was supposed to get a 24hr delivery notice but the driver basically gave a 2hr notice and I was unavailable (tiny rant: people don't just wait around at home on standby ready for delivery anytime, isn't that the whole point of 1 day notice so people can take time off from work and stuff?). No big deal, rescheduled for delivery 8am the next day. They arrived late at 10.30am, but the driver called ahead of time to tell me he was going to be late so that was nice.

Everything was going great until this point. Somehow, something happened between transferring stuff between the shuttle and the long haul. As they unloaded, I was horrified to see expensive electronics with boxes marked FRAGILE and THIS SIDE UP laid on its sides and stacked below boxes of books.

Some boxes were upside down, this I can understand, since I didn't mark boxes that only had clothes and linens, but several boxes were loaded on their sides, so stuff were bursting out at the weak spot where the box were taped shut. I don't know of any packing strategy that would prevent damage when loading sideways. Things like LCD screens I had packed in their original boxes with all the original styrofoam packing and these are designed to be stacked vertically. It was very very obvious that all the stuff had been loaded with ZERO care taken and with no attention paid to all the FRAGILE signs/stickers.

Overall, I was very disappointed after reading all the great reviews of the company on the site. I am now working with their "Customer Assistance Department" to file claims for damaged items since I bought full value protection insurance (they have yet to return my email or phone calls). Looked at the inventory sheet and realized that every single thing was labelled "scratched" or "soiled", that's kinda shady but I'll wait to see how the claims procedure go before commenting on that.

Things that are visibly abused/broken are only a tiny part of the problem. Dings and scratches on furniture and stuff happens and I accept/expect these from any move. But electronics and computers may not break immediately but fail 6 mths later due to being tossed around. These are the stuff that are hard to prove they damaged from their gross negligence. If I wanted to have my stuff treated this way I could have gone with any of the other dirt cheap, scumbag companies on the blacklist and received the same level of service.

My theory is, my bad experience is all because my stuff was loaded and unloaded a few times. It was loaded onto the shuttle from my house, then apparently unloaded into the storage facility at Dearborn to wait for the semi, then reloaded into the semi, then finally to the new house. If the stuff had been loaded directly onto the long haul truck by the 2 guys that were at my house, I doubt that I would be writing this negative review now.

ArchieWhite

Re: Bad experience with Corrigan

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 am

You are right, extra handling is the culprit.....you should remember to come back and tell us what your experience with Corrigan is on the claim settlement, or even 6 months later to advise if any of the electronics failed, as you stated they might...I've never heard that before, (that they fail later, as opposed to when they were mishandled) and it sounds like and interesting concept.

I'll say this, Corrigan is one of the top household good movers in the country, so you had a bit of a bad luck/poor service situation, it is a shame, but certainly not the norm, with Corrigan. Proves even the best can make mistakes and have problems.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 am

jamcracker wrote: If the stuff had been loaded directly onto the long haul truck by the 2 guys that were at my house, I doubt that I would be writing this negative review now.

I think you're right. That's why MovingScam always recommends companies that can do a self-haul - and, ideally, a direct move with no offloading into a warehouse. If I had to guess, I would say that the damage probably occurred when the things were being loaded out of the warehouse into the tractor-trailer. The driver could have been in a hurry and the best crew might not have been available, especially during the summer crunch.

It's standard procedure for drivers for all van lines to mark everything down as scratched, dented, stained, etc. to protect themselves.

Please do come back to report on your final experience with the claims process.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am

Diane, remember now, 3100 lbs is not a full load, its only about 1/8th of a full load, and not everybody can do a 'self haul' without extra handling at all times. Even a shuttle, which happens a lot, is extra handling. Don't know what day of the month this shipment loaded, but if it was a peak day, end of June, end of July, etc, then it's usually cowboys and indians at every mover in the country. People working 18 hour days will make mistakes and perform poorly once in a while.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am

That's what I meant when I said (trying to be tactful), "the best crew might not have been available, especially during the summer crunch." I don't know what kind of labor is typically available on short notice in Michigan.

Also, a request to the original poster - please post which office of Corrigan you were dealing with initially.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:39 am

I think a big issue here is self pack. Had the mover packed the boxes, they would be responsible for contents inside the boxes.

jamcracker

Postby jamcracker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I think it was just bad luck too cos it would have been loaded directly onto the truck had the long distance driver arrived in town on time. At least they tried their best to pickup the shipment on the scheduled day by sending a shuttle instead of delaying it an extra day to wait for the driver. I guess you win some and lose some.

For the electronics/computers question, I had them all padded in the box by cutting up a queen size piece of old memory foam that I was using on my bed, since I sold the bed before the move. They are not going to get visibly damaged but anything with hard drives like desktop computers and Playstation3 might not be dead on arrival but will fail a few months down the road if they were dropped/mishandled.

This is what I am worried about most right now. Even if they did fail, who can really be sure it is because of the move and not just that they were going to fail anyway? Which is why you pay more to have people handle them carefully in the first place right? Obviously I am not putting in a claim for these, but will cross my fingers that they don't die a few months later.

I would also like to add that the majority of the boxes were fine. Some boxes caved in at the top because I didn't stuff it enough during the packing, and are obviously not their fault. Most boxes I had padded with pillows and sheets at the top and bottom so nothing was damaged even though the boxes looked beat up. Just those that are loaded sideways had damages to items inside. I just wasn't expecting them to stack them sideways. Is it ever ok to load them like that?

My agent was the one at Farmington Hills. Everyone that I was in contact with at every step, from the quoting, scheduling, loading and unloading were professional and helpful. That's why I think the problem is with the storage facility since that is the only place I did not personally see.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Remove
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:51 pm

I notice that no one answered the poster's question about whether it's ever OK to load boxes on their sides.

A company owner once told me that the absolute WORST thing a mover can do is not pick up a customer's things on the arranged day. The company was clearly trying to accommodate the customer by taking his things to a warehouse. Unfortunately, the downside was that the shipment apparently sustained excessive damage. If the customer had been asked, maybe he would have preferred to wait for a direct pickup by the long-haul driver on a later day. We don't know.

I would also like to add that since Corrigan apparently didn't haul this shipment, because they were waiting for the over-the-road driver sent by the van line to arrive, the damage is not Corrigan's fault. It was only the booking agent on this move and should not be tarred with a "bad" label. I am removing that word from the topic title. Corrigan did not load boxes into the truck on their sides, etc. - the driver did.

Return to “Open Community”