Dumbo Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bedbugged

Dumbo Moving

Postby bedbugged » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey everyone,

I lived at my previous apartment for 10 months (and my roommate lived there for 5 years) without any problems of bed bugs. I am currently subletting at my sister's apartment, where she and her friends have lived for 7 years without any problems, and within 3 days of moving in, I started to receive bites(1-3 a night). After a few more days, I realized they weren't mosquito bites and were in fact bed bug bites. The girl who lived in the room before me never had any bites over the 7 years.

Tonight, for the first time, I found 2 small bed bugs underneath my mattress. Is it safe to assume that they came from the blankets/boxes/truck of the moving company? Is there anything I can do to recover any losses (extermination/purchasing new bed/bed items) from the moving company?

For anyone interested - the moving company is Dumbo Moving in New York City. They were amazingly nice and respectful throughout the whole process. It's such a shame it had to come to this. I am going to do my best to make sure they either fix their ways or move right out of business.

rydog444

Re: Dumbo Moving = Bed Bugs?

Postby rydog444 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Where did you move to and from?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

bedbugged

Postby bedbugged » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 pm

An apartment in Greenwich Village (Thompson St between W 3rd and Bleecker) to an apartment in Grammery on 23rd st.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:28 pm

so it was a one day, local move?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 pm

I don't know about the liability, but rather than replace your mattress, you can get a hypo-allergenic sleeve to zip the mattress into. This will help kill the bugs that are there already and prevent others from nibbling on you.

And wash all you linens in HOT water through two cycles.

bedbugged

Postby bedbugged » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Yea - one day local move. They wrapped my items in blankets (that looked like they probably hadn't been washed in months), and wrapped the lower half of my mattress in some cloth to prevent it from getting dirty.

I've washed all my sheets and comforter and dried for an an extended period of time on high heat. I also just received some bed bug spray that was recommended to me to spray for the time being while we wait for an exterminator appointment. I've been all over the bed bug forums scouring my options, so I'm pretty well versed on that side of things, but less so on the moving company side of things. Any recommendations on what I should do about that?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:09 pm

In all honesty, I would call the mover with a sincere explaination of what you are going through. Be cordial and nice, and if they are a class company, you could see results. I know nothing about the company in question, will do a little research now, but if they are a scammer or not very reputable company, you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to deal with them. You don't happen to have a DOT number, do you?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:10 pm

bedbugged

Postby bedbugged » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Yes! Interesting website. Looks like there have been no prior complaints against the company. I will wait until the exterminator comes before I start any process.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 pm

they don't have any complaints, and it appears to me that they have been in business at least since 11/07. Small company, hopefully they are honest, hard working company who cares about their repuation. I'd give them a call and be honest with them, I don't think they have any liability, but you may get some goodwill out of them. There's just no way to prove something like that. Other than that, how was your experience with them?

bedbugged

Postby bedbugged » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 pm

The experience was great. They were all really nice and cared about customer service.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:55 am

Why not try to contact the company and resolve this issue with them directly rather than bring their company on this site with a title "Dumbo Moving = Bed Bugs?"? You are not even sure they caused the problem and now you have put their name in a bad light with the title of the post. I think the moderators need to retitle this post for the protection of this company until it has been proven that they caused the problem with this consumer.

I realize the consumer is just asking questions but why not try to address the complaint head on instead of going though movingscam? If it gets to the point she needs asistance she know where to find it.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:38 am

Remove
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Diane

Re: Dumbo Moving

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:54 am

I changed the topic title and will wait for an update from the customer.

travelguide

Re: Dumbo Moving

Postby travelguide » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:45 am

You may contact the company but I personally don't think they will take the responsibility and compensate you. But you can give it a try.All the same take some precaution to protect yourself from further bites.

Return to “Open Community”