Anyone know about Carlyle Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rich1lenore

Anyone know about Carlyle Van Lines?

Postby rich1lenore » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:33 pm

Hi, we're moving at the end of July and I'm so glad I found your website. My husband went to a website to locate moving companies and 3 returned his inquiry. 1 is on your blacklist and sent an e-mail inventory form for us to fill out (big no-no) so we won't be using them. Another has come out to our house and done a walk-through, left us a copy of the brochure your site said we should get, and also explained that they are subcontractors to United Van Lines. Neither United or his company made your blackball list, so we figure that's 1 good estimate. Anyone had experience with United Van Lines or subcontractors? Also Carlyle Van Lines e-mailed and called us to arrange a walk-through. They have been in business since 1958, and their website has a link to this website--which we thought was a really good sign--as well as other informative sites to check out before moving. Anyone have experience with them? Also, I read this site's article about finding a mover. What is that number I'm supposed to get and use to check out if they are legitimate? How do I get that number? Think it started with "DO" or "DA" and had something to do with trucks?
Thanks for help!

Tyrone

Re: Anyone know about Carlyle Van Lines?

Postby Tyrone » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:49 pm

1) The DOT # is the # you should be asking for. Also ask for the MC #. If the movers hem, haw or hesitate in giving you the DOT # then drop them like a hot rock. They should NEVER act like it is an unreasonable request to ask for this information. Asking for the DOT# is as legitimate as when a bank teller asks to see some ID before they will cash a check.

2) Many scammers claim to be agents of the major van lines such as United. I would NEVER take their word for it; contact the van line directly and verify their agent status. Most of major the van lines have a "find an agent" or "verify an agent" feature on their websites.

3) A LOT of the scammers post links to our site in an effort to fool unsuspecting consumers into thinking, "Well if they linked to MovingSCAM.com then they must not be a scammer!" Nothing could be further from the truth. Even companies that are blacklisted here link to our site in a pathetic effort to leech off of our credibility.

4) On the R&R brochure that the United rep gave you, what is the publicatino date and how many pages is it? (There is an illegal version labelled "FHWA" and we want to make sure that you are getting the only REAL version which is dated MAY 2004). It's also a lot longer than the illegal version.

We strongly recommend that you stay away from all the Internet portal sites where you enter your personal details and the movers contact you with estimates or "bid" for your business! DO NOT USE THOSE SITES! They are overwhelmingly dominated by scammers! Which site did your husband use?

To get started on a better path, begin by reading our article, "How To Find A Reputable Mover".
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:15 pm

Is this the Carlyle Van Lines that contacted you?

http://www.safersys.org/query.asp?searc ... ing=279780

It's the only one I see by doing a name search in the www.Safersys.org database. However, the one DOT number has Two MC numbers attached, one for the origianl company, and I think some of the sons might have formed a splinter company, called Carlyle Brothers Van Lines, which had a license revocation in 1998, and has several insurance cancelations.

Definitly make sure you ask what their MC number is, in addition to the DOT number.

Postby 23 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:32 pm

Another has come out to our house and done a walk-through, left us a copy of the brochure your site said we should get, and also explained that they are subcontractors to United Van Lines. Neither United or his company made your blackball list, so we figure that's 1 good estimate.

This is pretty far from the truth. If someone said they are a "subcontractor" for United, they are incorrect! United Van Lines is made up of over 600 individual agents, it could have been an agent, but not a subcontractor! I would get some more information from them and post it here. Then we will be able to see if it is legit or not!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:16 am

I just saw there's a Carlyle Van Lines truck parked outside my house. Neighbors two doors over are moving in, I know they're military people. I'll ask them when I go out if they know about the splinter company, the Carlyle Brothers. I watched them for a few minutes, they seem to be doing a good job.

rich1lenore

Postby rich1lenore » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi MusicMom, yes we are dealing with Carlyle Van Lines, not Carlyle Brothers. Did you watch any more of your neighbor's move? I went and checked out the USDOT # and the MC # and everything checked out according to your website. Carlyle is nationwide and they have "authorized agents" that conduct business around the country; their headquarters is in Warrenburg, MO. All addresses and phone #'s listed, as well as website, and the above-mentioned numbers. I'm going to call the agent and ask for references. I did ask if they use subcontractors to do the actual moves. She said only in case of an emergency like driver illness. Is this suspicious? Should I insist on one of their drivers or forget about it?
Thanks!
Lenore

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:50 pm

I watched them for about 10 minutes, then peeked out several times. The new owners were sitting in the driveway with them the whole time, and I never saw them get upset. I also didn't hear any crashes, which is a good thing! I haven't yet had a chance to meet with them, but I'll be sure to let you know if and when I can ask them if they were happy with Carlyle (senior) Van Lines.

As for the substitution for driver illness, this might be a question for one of the moverguys.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:35 pm

I promised to get back to everyone about this company.

I finally talked with my neighbor today. I asked if he was happy with the movers (Carlyle Van Lines). He said "very much". In all his times of moving (in the military), he said "this is the only time that nothing has been damaged or missing. They were nice, too".

Now, don't take this as a recommendation on my part. but a reporting of one happy customer, secondhand.

Return to “Open Community”