Move from Southern IL to Salem, Oregon

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LeeVing

Move from Southern IL to Salem, Oregon

Postby LeeVing » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:45 pm

hey all.....I've been reading this site for the past two weeks or so, and my wife past the job of finding a good moving company to me.

We have a 1 bedroom house, 5 rooms total with basement. Not a lot of stuff, but my wife loves books and we have packed most of these into small liquor boxes to keep the weight of each down. Any I have my computer/ DVDs. Anyway, I was looking into Broadway Express because of the good things I’ve read here, and the fact that they are only 2 hours away. We have emailed Allied, Atlas, and Mayflower also…waiting on them to reply back. We also need to move by the end on this month, our house closes on the 30th.

We really don’t have people to help us load, so how much is the going rate of having the driver from BE help?

Any help or info would be great.

Diane

Re: Move from Southern IL to Salem, Oregon

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:40 pm

Cute name!

I'm emphasizing BE in my answer because it's so late that I think you may have trouble getting booked with a major van line.

I suggest that you call Broadway Express first thing in the morning. The first people who posted on this board about the company said that they just gave the BE drivers a tip of varying amounts, but lately people have been saying that the charge has been more or less formalized at $25/hour. One person who had both the driver and his wife help said that the charge was $25/hour per person. That will be the best money you will ever spend, I guarantee it.

You'll need people besides the driver to help you load, because the driver will stay on and around the truck positioning things and will not carry things from the residence to the truck. One driver said that this was for insurance reasons. Ask around and you should be able to find a local moving company that will send a couple of men for a few hours, or ask BE for suggestions.

I think it would help if you estimated your space requirements more closely before talking with BE. Go to the ABF website at this address - http://www.upack.com/estimators.asp - and click on "Advanced" and the tool will help you estimate the amount of space you'll need. My rough guess is that you have about 12 linear feet. Remember that BE (unlike ABF) doesn't give you a refund for unused space.

I'm not sure that I would move my computer and DVDs on the truck. Ask the dispatcher about that. Here is what one moving professional here posted recently about moving electronics:

Nancy wrote:These items are inherently fragile, and the parts inside may not work after a rumbling ride in the back of a moving van. Additionally, the memory on computers may be lost. We suggest people do full back ups of materials, and possibly move electronics on their own. It is best to pack with professional materials and/or original packaging.

Another moverguy chimed in that you are supposed to "park your hard drive."

LeeVing

Postby LeeVing » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:39 am

thanks for the reply.

About the computer and DVD's ....I am actually going to tow these with me, Along with the TV and electronics, and stuff we will need when we get there.

I think I may be able to get some people at work to help but you never know if that will work out. My wife was just in a car accident and can't help with the big stuff.

thanks again,

LeeVing

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:06 am

Very sorry about the car accident! Given your situation, I can certainly see why you might prefer to use a full-service mover.

Just a comment that I also needed help at destination when I moved with ABF and I called a local moving company that was recommended by the apartment manager. They charged me $75/hour for 2 men with a two-hour minimum, which is what I used, i.e. it cost me $150 (but I had only 5 feet of stuff, not 10 feet or so like you have). I think you will need 2 men for 3 hours or 3 men for 2 hours. As I said, BE may have some companies that it works with locally.

My helpers arrived with NO equipment such as dollies, but there will be at least one dolly on the BE truck so you might be OK. Ask the dispatcher. You can also buy a collapsible aluminum dolly (hand truck) at Staples or other office supply stores for about $50-$60, and then you can put it on the truck and use it at destination and for any future moves. The brand I bought was Safco.

LeeVing

Postby LeeVing » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:52 am

Well it looks like we are going with Mayflower. They are coming Wednesday do do an estimate. The local agent is MUSCLE RELOCATION, INC.

They are based in Marion, IL. I can't really find anything out on them, only that they had 1 complaint in the last 3 years(BBB). The DOT# in the yellow pages ad is for Mayflower not for them, although its really there ad.

When my wife asked the lady what ther DOT # was she said that all the drivers have ther own #....is this normal??

Just want to get a good company, but the time is getting short...we move in 2 weeks

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:32 am

MARION
MUSCLE RELOCATION, INC.
1909 W. RENDLEMAN
MARION, IL 62959
Phone: (618) 993-3612
Fax: (618) 993-6709
Toll Free: (800) 455-6285
mayflower1muscle@hotmail.com

Not sure what the operator meant when she said all drivers have their own DOT number, maybe she thought you meant phone number?

Be sure to ask for a Guaranteed-Not-To-Exceed estimate, and they MUST give you a "Rights and Responsibilities" book. Ask them if it the current version. It should be about 45 pages long, and the printed date shouls be after May 5, 2004. If they give you an old, outdated one, let them know this is not ok, and that you should receive the current book.

xavier7995

Postby xavier7995 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:44 pm

Hey hey, I too am moving from the southern Illinois region. Hooray for Carbondale. I am going to look into this Broadway Express place as well as Muscle Relocation, if nothing else because they have a funny name. If you have any advice I would be happy to hear it. I almost went with Progressive Van Lines, glad I checked the black list first.

LeeVing

Postby LeeVing » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:00 am

How soon are you moving? We are getting an estimate on Wednesday, and are already set up to move on the 28th. I'll post here on anything that comes up. It really looks like Muscle is who we are going with on such short notice. We are moving from Murphysboro by the way.

LeeVing

Postby LeeVing » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:25 pm

Hey all.....7 months went by fast.

All in all was very pleased in the move. Muscle relocation went through
trowbridgemoving (www.trowbridgemoving.com) out of ohio for the actual move across the country. And because of our apt building, we needed a smaller truck to get in. With all the switching trucks and unloading the day went by pretty fast for only 2 guys unloading, and not much was damaged. A chair broke...but it wasnt a big deal. The movers were very nice and took there job very seriously.

hope this helps some people

Return to “Open Community”