**Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
spork

**Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Postby spork » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:24 pm

Hello all,

I made the mistake of filling in a few quote request forms... While googling some of them, I luckily landed here.

I looked at the big list, but it seems more geared towards interstate moves. I'm only going 3 miles from a 1 bedroom apt. to another.

Any recommendations? I did find a place in Dover that looks decent based on reviews here, "Peers Movers". Dover is only a few miles from here (Netcong, NJ). I'd like to get at least one or two other quotes though.

Thanks!

Rick

Re: Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co.

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork

Postby spork » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 pm

That website looks interesting. I see Peer's is on there too.

Thanks very much!

spork

Postby spork » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Sadly Peers is not open on the weekend...

Some other movers from the warehousemen and movers list that I cannot find much info on here:

A&H Partnership, Dover 973-989-5000
Crofutt & Smith, Landing 800-524-1793
Hicks & Sons, Montville 973-334-3090
The Padded Wagon, Parsippany 973-335-5055 (I saw some reviews of others, but not the Parsippany location)
Graebel/Northeaster Movers, Inc. Randolph 800-369-6683

Did I mention I need to move this Thursday? :)

Also, against my better judgement, I'm looking at a local "guy with truck and two helpers" option that's not insured for contents. 3 guys/$100/hr. no charge for travel, tape, blankets, etc. This is about a 2 mile move, so I'm having a hard time justifying more than $600 or so. He was very upfront about the fact that he's just making extra cash with his truck.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:07 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork

Postby spork » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Rick wrote:You apparently understand the risks involved in your decision if you've assessed the value of the items being moved and the skill level of those providing the grunt work. Three guys for $100/hr is dirt cheap in Morris county. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks...

I'm keeping the shady guy as my last resort should Peers not be available on such short notice. I'm finally making some headway on packing and it's looking good. Not nearly as much crap as I'd suspected - we've only been here six months, and we'd really gotten rid of a ton of stuff when we moved here.

As to the risks and lack of insurance on the cheap-o, the fact that the guy lives down the road from where I'm moving to and the fact that we used relatives and a big econoline van (4 trips) to get here... well, I figure that was pretty risky too. An accident would have left us SOL, and the "movers" last time were very far from pro. The really valuable stuff (electronics, computers, data needed for my business) is going in my car.

spork

Postby spork » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:38 pm

So this looks good - got in touch with Peers today, and being that the 11th is not a typical moving day, they are totally available. They sent someone out (Sheila - Bob was going to head out, but she was nearby already) and gave an estimate based on actually counting up boxes and furniture.

They came up with 700 cubic feet, and the estimate breaks down like so:

$577.50 - 5.25 hours for 3 men at $110/hr
$82.50 - .75 hours travel time from Dover to Netcong and then Budd Lake back to Dover
$25 - fuel surcharge

$695 Total

She did mention that the hourly might be lower in reality, and they bill out in quarter hours from arrival to departure. Personally, I think 5.25 is a bit high, especially considering the move is only 2 miles, 10 minute tops. If this works out to be $600, I'd be really happy.

My backup guy mentioned above with no insurance would probably be at least $500 since I'm betting his "helpers" would be a bit slower. And he has no insurance, so Peers is my choice.

They also have really cheap supplies - wardrobe boxes are only $5. No charge for blankets, tape, etc. These people really seem like they're on the up and up.

One last question - they will only start in the morning - 8 a.m. Even though my lease starts on 9/11/08 (and is prorated as such), they don't want to give up the keys until 3:00 p.m. This is a problem. I don't want to pay to have the guys sit at the new place. Any tips on dealing with the new landlord on this? Moving Friday is possible, but we really, really do NOT want to do that.

Thanks again all... When this is done, I'll write up a review. Who would I contact here about updating "The Super List" after the move?

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Who would I contact here about updating "The Super List" after the move?

The moderators will update the Super List upon your return to the site to provide a review..... Until then - happy moving!
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 am

Personally, I think 5.25 is a bit high, especially considering the move is only 2 miles, 10 minute tops.

This distance to destination has very little to do with the overall time to complete the move. Most of the time is taken loading (2/3) and unloading (1/3).

FYI: On 700 cf, or 4900 lbs, I would have estimated 3 men taking 6-7 hours.

Full time professional movers will work faster and more efficiently than day labor will. Regardless of your choice, be prepared to pay for what you get, and likely that will mean more than $600.

If you are planning to move on a day when you can't take delivery until after 3 pm., you will likely end up paying for your movers to sit at some point. If that concerns you, consider moving the next day.

You might take some things over on your own after 3 pm on the day your lease starts. This might keep your movers' time to a minimum. And don't forget to ask your movers about their minimums, too.

Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 am

spork,

Please do come back with a report on Peers. You can just post it on this same thread and somebody will move it over to the Superlist. I am eager to have more reviews of that company because customers seem to have been very happy with them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

spork

Postby spork » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm just checking in to report that everything went very well, and I'm very happy with Peers Moving. My paperwork for basically everything is buried somewhere so I don't have all the specific numbers around, so I'll follow-up to this when I find that.

In short, I'm pleased.

-The estimate was almost spot-on. I think they went about 15 minutes over, but they also spent that long trying to find a parking spot at the loading end. Our place is across from a school and I was not able to block out enough space for the truck.
-I think we had more than the estimator estimated, and it was almost exclusively boxes, very little furniture. This seemed to slow things down, but again, the estimator seemed to have nailed that.
-They arrived right on time at 8:30. They finished before 2:00, including lunch (which we bought them).
-I liked the crew. All of them worked hard and fast with minimal breaks. There was one guy that basically looked like a smaller santa who was the driver an muscle on huge items, another guy of average build that was able to throw four boxes on his back, and a Peruvian guy that was quick and efficient. They were all friendly and pleasant to speak with when they paused to catch a few breaths. Santa was particularly entertainingly grumpy yet kind. I threw them each $40, which from the sticky thread here on tipping is a bit high, but (I hope) reflected how pleased I was.
-I'm not completely finished unpacking, but none of our furniture was damaged, and I've not found any broken items yet in the boxes I've unpacked (the kitchen, with the most fragile stuff is done). We did have a little incident with a wooden sculpture (chainsaw carving) - I showed the guy how I move it (it has three protruding, thin parts on top) by grabbing and basically rolling it. When he grabbed it, one of the parts just snapped. Can't blame him, the thing's dried and cracking since it's not properly treated. I'm not making a claim on it since it's easy enough to glue back together.

I can't really think of anything negative. They did what they advertised at the price quoted. All of this was on very short notice (called on Monday, moved on Friday).

I'll come back and put the $numbers in when I dig up the estimate...

Oh, and I may even get a web design/hosting job out of this. :)

e30tech

Re: Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Postby e30tech » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks for the info on peers. I am looking to move in December out of oakwood Village.

I was considering using New World Movers, Inc.

Until I read this

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/3 ... 356087.htm

spork

Postby spork » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:35 pm

OK, just to confirm, my estimate was:

$577.50 - 3 men @ $110/hr, 5.25 hours
$82.50 - 3/4 hour travel time
$10 - 2 wardrobe boxes
$25 - fuel surcharge

Total: $695

Included insurance was the basic $0.60/lb.

The actual numbers were $657.50, the difference being 15 minutes less time.

Anyone have any questions about them?

e30tech

Postby e30tech » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:44 pm

$110 an hour seems expensive.

Did you move on Thursday or was it on a Saturday? Peers does move on weekends, but their office is closed.

I know there was a post above stating the hourly rate is cheap in morris county, but i have seen rates for $80/$85 an hour. These rates are from various movers. I checked some out on the bbb.org and saw many complaints. Most complaints were resolved, but peers had 0 complaints in 36 months.

I'll be moving @ 20 miles away. Both places are 2nd floor.

Peers is coming here on Monday 9/22 to give me an estimate. I'll be moving on Fri 12/19. Weekdays are cheaper, and I'm hoping to get a discount for early booking.

Thanks for the info

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:04 am

"$110 an hour seems expensive" ? ? 3 men and a van should be $140 an hour or so, for the mover to make enough money to justify a professional crew, and a truck that costs a lot of money. You should see the prices plumbers, auto mechanics and lawyers charge.

Return to “Open Community”