Southern Maryland Moving and Storage, LLC (review)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dougkeen

Southern Maryland Moving and Storage, LLC (review)

Postby dougkeen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 pm

I saw there was no mention of this company on the site so I thought I'd put in a good word based on my positive experience.

It appears the company doesn't have a website, but does do work via uShip.com, so there's a good amount of information on there (including lots of feedback from others about the company):
http://www.uship.com/profile/clnbiker/

Here's my experience:
I moved from Maryland to California this past January, using Mike's services. The whole experience was surprisingly smooth... I had an agent come by and do an in-home estimate. She was later able to provide me with a binding estimate, which after all was said and done, was the exact amount I ended up paying (and was very reasonable).

On moving day, the truck showed up exactly on time, and everything was packed and hauled off within an hour. In transit, the driver kept in close contact with me. When he finally arrived in CA, he gave me the option of a night delivery or we could wait until morning if it was more convenient for me. I opted for the night delivery, he showed up on time, and everything was hauled into the new apartment in about an hour. Not a single thing was damaged upon unpacking. Overall, everyone involved was friendly, honest, and helpful... a very smooth experience.

I should note my move was not quite the "average" move, so I should list some caveats:
    My move was unusually small... less than a studio-apartment's-worth of stuff

Quick delivery was not a priority for me, so to save money I consented to having my stuff in storage for a week or so while they picked up shipments from other clients that were also heading cross-country. Total time between pickup and final delivery was just under 4 weeks, which was completely acceptable in my situation.

I was able to move on the exact date I wanted to, but I may have just been lucky, given that this is a small, single-truck company and may not have as much flexibility when it comes to scheduling.

Diane

Re: Southern Maryland Moving and Storage, LLC (review)

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks for this review, Doug. Farrah's link indicates that the company has an "unsatisfactory" BBB rating because of an unanswered complaint, but the BBB may be sending mail to the wrong address.

Anyone considering using this company should check to be sure that its interstate licensing and insurance are current since one-truck companies like this sometimes let things lapse. It is listed on www.uship.com and many of those companies have no licensing or insurance.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

D517

Postby D517 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

My husband and I just did a move from Southern MD to Surprise AZ, and we hired Southern MD moving and Storage LLC ( Mike Garrett 240 375 7363). It went very well. Mike and his crew were very courteous, and packed my household items, plus my Prius, and MC, into his truck, without a single damage. His price was the same as he quoted us, with no hidden surprises. We would definitely recommend him and his crew. He deserves a 5 star rating!! :D

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 am

Interesting. You move from Maryland to Arizona, but your post is showing you from Maryland. How did you come to this site with a good review 4 yrs after the last post.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:31 am

They're not posting from MD, just didn't change their location in the profile. D5's past posts show they avoided a rogue and came back after their move to review.

D517

Postby D517 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am

I didn't get a chance to change my location in my profile. I will do it now. I had some problems (Global Van Lines) and this led me to SoMD moving and storage, who did a great job. I was only offering a review for a good moving company. SoMD, moves people from all over the country, not just SoMD. They are located in MD, but will move from locations other than MD, to other States.
Thanks MusicMom, you knew what I was talking about.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 am

While they DO move people all around the country, as evidenced by the two reviews here, it's important to note that a single truck operation doing very long distance moves leaves itself vulnerable to logistics problems by sending 100% of its fleet hundreds or thousands of miles away. Generally it's best to leave such long moves to companies with backups in place in terms of multiple trucks. Some of the pros here have recommended that single truck companies should stay local or do shorter hops.

There are notable exceptions, of course. Some companies with one or two trucks have certainly proven themselves with the occassional long distance move, if they plan things right and have good friends to call upon when a truck breaks down. But there are too many rogue movers with a single rental truck offering to do nothing but long distance moves, and their customers often find that after the company they hired picks up their stuff, they subcontract to another mover for delivery, which almost always leads to problems.

weem

Postby weem » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm

What is the opposite of "doth protest too much"???? :)

Return to “Open Community”