delay by Atlas VanLine

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ihlin

delay by Atlas VanLine

Postby ihlin » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:44 pm

I recently moved from NY state to WA state. I had everything loaded on May 24th and was given a delivery window up to June 10. I had to keep calling the Atlas HQ for updates on my shipment pretty much every single weekday. I was told that they were too busy to handle my shipment. Everything was still in Buffalo, NY until June 10th! I called again on 10th and was told everything would be picked up that day and would be on the way. I was relieved to hear that I should expect my stuff by 15th or 16th. Today I called again to get a more accurate date for my delivery and to my surpise, the agent said no driver was assigned to my shipment yet! I was told it was possible that they just moved from one warehouse to another. I was very upset, so the agent said she would call me back. She called me back and told me things were on the way (or she said WOULD BE on the way, I am too upset to remember that) but the delivery date is now pushed back to 17th or 18th, no guarentees.
My question is, if I was given a second delivery window and Atlas did not make the delivery within the 2nd window, what actions should I take??Or is there anything I can do legally?? I am feeling completely hopeless because I thought I was very careful when I picked a national company. I have my professional license to take next week, and all my books/notes are " on the way." I am really frustrated with Atlas' customer service, too. It seems like whatever compalints I have, everything stays within that department. The people who answers the phone are the same people answering emails. And their claim department is their customer serivce department. There is absoluetely nothing I can do to push them. So at least point, I could really use any advice from people with similiar experience. Help... :cry:

Michael

Re: delay by Atlas VanLine

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:20 pm

ihlin,

Sorry to hear about your situation. What I would suggest is that you get them to UPS or FED EX, the designated boxes you will need to study from, and you can get that from your inventory list. And make sure its at their expense.

Depending on how much weight you have you can consider filing a delay claim. Some companies have minimum weights for this to happen. For example United is 3500 pounds.

From the sounds of it your a minimum weight. But in all honesty, there really isnt any legal action to take. They arent holding your goods hostage, they arent raising the cost or rates, its just a simple matter of logistics due to the season. It was forcasted to be 10% busier this summer then last, and last summer was busy. Many companies were booking moves and not having enough drivers or equipment to handle everything that came in, it was unexpected. But this summer everyone should have been on their toes.

Does Atlas not have a tracking program on their main website for you to track your shipment????? I havent looked so I dont know.

Dont feel bad, a company I use to work for is pulling this exact scenario on my brother in law right now, except in his case they sent a truck with not enough room on the truck and all his important documents that he needs (President of a company) are still sitting in their warehouse as the play the "I DONT KNOW GAME". Its very frustrating I know. Try the UPS/FED EX route first through them and again at their expense. And even if they have a minimum, you may want to ask about a delay claim anyway.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:59 pm

Hi Michael, thank you for your reply! I was just very frustrated after getting the bad news today. I was browsing through some other postings and saw that Atlas might still be taking orders. I would really recommend people NOT to book with them if they expect to have things delivered within their promised dates. As for now, they are already have problem finding a driver for my shipment. If anyone is thinking of whether to find a mover or do it yourself, I would recommend people to move on your own if possible.
And thanks again, Michael, for your reply.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:22 am

I suspect that the company you are dealing with is not the national major van line, but a fly-by-night scammer operating under a variation of the Atlas name.

Look on your bill of lading. What is the DOT # or MC # that is shown on the bill of lading? Also, what is the EXACT name, address and phone number of the moving company as spelled on the bill of lading?

If you are uncomfortable posting this information publicly, hit the "PM" button at the bottom of this post and you can send me the information via Private Message.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

ihlin

Postby ihlin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:03 am

just talkt to Atlas again, and now they are saying that will contact me on Friday to let me know if my things will be there by next monday. It would be a month since the loading date next monday... :evil:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:10 am

I think Tyrone is right.

What kind of paperwork do you have? Also, you mentioned the customer service is the same person that answers the email. Could you tell us what that email address is? A lot fo scammrs try to get custoemrs by using names that are recognizeable, like Atlas Relocation, North American Moving Network, Budget Movers, Ryder Moving, etc. You may have been duped by the name. you can sign up for membership so we can talk with you via Private Message, if you're worried about your load at all. I don't think the Atlas Van Lines company would treat you like this. If you want to check if your company is one of their agents, click here.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:20 pm

These are the agents I see listed in my agency book from 1999 for New York:

:arrow: Mabeys Mov and Stg
:arrow: Riley Fulmont Van and Storage
:arrow: Mollen Transfer and Stg
:arrow: Avatar Moving Systems
:arrow: V. Santini Co.
:arrow: Lincoln Moving and Storage
:arrow: Certified Van Service
:arrow: Macey Transfer and stg
:arrow: Collins Brothers
:arrow: Eagle Transfer
:arrow: Ace Worldwide
:arrow: Finnegans Moving and Stg
:arrow: Viking Mov and Stg
:arrow: Lafayette Storage and Mov
:arrow: New Dorp Moving and Storage
:arrow: County Van Lines
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:32 pm

Ihlin gave me an address that resolves to the HQ of Atlas Van Lines, so this is who he/she's dealing with. I'm trying to see which agent it is.

This is the only agent I see in Buffalo:
Lincoln Moving & Storage of Buffalo, Inc.
155 Great Arrow Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14207 Mail To: 155 Great Arrow Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14207
Agent Number: 1282
Phone: (716) 874-1384
Fax: (716) 874-1583
Toll Free: (800) 344-3915
Email: pali@buffnet.net

The phone number ihlin has is 800-638-9797. i suggested he/she call the number and see what agent it is.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:42 pm

They are indeed an agent for Atlas, agency 1282. They have 3 branch offices in NY.

The website they have as their agency isnt that one anymore. The new one is lincolncampusstorage.com.

Very weird website.
Michael

ihllin

Postby ihllin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:52 pm

yup, the agent I dealt with is the Lincoln Moving & Storage. They represent Atlas, right? Just out of curiosity, exactly what is the role of a local agent? I feel I have not received much of a service from them. They did not help me pushing Atlas for a driver. They did not contact me when my things were picked up. When I asked for more info on my delivery date, i was told to contact Atlas directly. Also, when I pay for my delivery, where does that money go to?? Thank you very much for everyone's help!!

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:36 pm

ihllin,

The local agent you selected, Lincoln in this case, should be your main contact throughout the process of the move. You should have been assigned a local move coordinator, that should have been making progress calls to you throughout the process. For example, an introductory letter with dates and such, a 72-48 hour pre call to pack/load, a 24 hr call, call the day of pack and load, and a 48 hour follow up call.

Of course that is a good coordination program that most agents will apply to their coordinators. Of course scam companies have nothing of the sort.

But looking at their website, it does state they are a agent for Atlas. Ironically, it does not show anything on their pages of Atlas, a truck, or anything, which is odd.

You shouldnt have to contact Atlas directly to know where your shipment is or when it was loaded or when it is set to be delievered. Your local agent should be telling you all this as it happens.

The money will go to the agent whom will direct the funds to Atlas, who will divide the funds based on agencies position with the booked job.

Did you try the UPS idea??

Best of luck,
Michael

ihlin

Postby ihlin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:11 pm

Hi Michael,
I have been calling Atlas directly since 2 wks ago and it was "suggested" by the local agent. I guess he was tired of me calling him everyday. i was thinking of filing a complain to Atlas after I got my things back. I did not try the Fedex thing though, because I am really afraid of giving them any reason to delay my shipment... as of this morning, they are still not sure when my shipment will arrive. This morning, their answer was " we are still shooting for Monday." :cry:

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:54 pm

If you need the boxes and they are at that agents warehouse, then it should be simple for them to find the boxes you need and UPS them. A few boxes are not going to delay or find you a driver any faster.

But I understand your angst. I once thought this was a common issue in the summer time for the smaller majors, now I know its a major issue for 'All" majors. As I have seen them all overbook with no enough drivers.

Keep calling them. I dont care if it is bugging him. They are the responsible party. They accepted your goods, to move your goods and delivery them in a timely fashion.

Where is your sales person in all this????
Michael

ihlin

Postby ihlin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:08 pm

well, the first perosn i had in contact was the person who did the estimate. he came to my place for an estimate. up to that point, i was happy with the overall impression of Atlas. after mailing me the contract and giving me an estimate, i never heard from him again. I had to call him myself to see if he actually received the signed contract i mailed back. then after that, i was told to contact another guy "steve" for updates. Then "steve" pushed me to the corporate... :?

Return to “Open Community”