Sebastian Moving Inc review

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
SinDonor

Sebastian Moving Inc review

Postby SinDonor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:27 pm

I know they may have been getting some mixed reviews, but there are multiple Sebastian Moving companies. The one I am talking about is based out of Central Florida.

When I used to work for Shurgard Storage (now Public Storage), we had a pile of Sebastian Moving's business cards to give out to our customers. If the customer used Sebastian's, then I'd get a referral fee. It was not much but hey, it's free money.

I always followed up with my customers from Shurgard though to make sure I wasn't recommending a bad company. Out of the 10-12 customers I referred to Sebastian, I never had a major complaint. A few folks said they were a bit expensive, but everyone who actually used them always said they were great and professional.

So, when my mom needed to move from Ocala to Orlando, I called Sebastian, he came out to my parent's house and gave her a great estimate for her 3-bdrm home. The only guys complaining were the two poor saps who had to move all of my mom's heavy crap in the middle of a Florida summer. I felt bad for those guys, so I bought them lunch and gave them a good tip.

Anyways, Sebastian Moving really only works mostly up and down I-95 and they've gone as far west as Texas. I tried to get them to give me a quote to Seattle from Orlando, and they said, "Yeah right!"

If you're looking for a good moving company around Florida or to move up and down the east coast, check them out:

http://www.sebastianmoving.net/index.html

JMillerFL

Re: **Sebastian Moving Inc review

Postby JMillerFL » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:52 am

A couple of things I have noticed about this Sebastian over the years is that their ad never shows one of their own trucks just unmarked freight trucks or freight trucks that have the name Photoshopped on. Having worked in Orlando over the last 10 years I never once have seen one of their trucks on the road. I guess they only use unmarked freight trucks.

Another thing that is concerning is that they have a contract you can download and print out on their site. This is nica and all except I don't think the State of Florida would approve this form since it shws nothing about valuation which is the big thing that has to be clearly explained on the forms. I hope they are not attempting to use this form for interstate moves. :shock:

Since I am no longer in the business I feel like I can bring these things up without it being considered bashing of a competitor.

aubie2

Postby aubie2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 am

Here is another Sebastian. Looks more legit than the other.
http://www.sebastianmoving.com/

SinDonor

Postby SinDonor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 am

I don't remember if they had a marked truck for my mom's move or not. But I asked her what she thought about that move recently (which happened about 3 years ago or so), and she said they were great. They didn't damage anything and they worked hard.

As far as that quote sheet goes, I dunno. I guess it's just a tool for them to use to give a potential online customer an estimate. I'm sure the official quote comes after they checkout your house. That's how they worked the move for my mom. I explained to him that she had a full 3 bedroom house, and he came before the move to give her a guaranteed estimate which he stuck to.

JMillerFL wrote:A couple of things I have noticed about this Sebastian over the years is that their ad never shows one of their own trucks just unmarked freight trucks or freight trucks that have the name Photoshopped on. Having worked in Orlando over the last 10 years I never once have seen one of their trucks on the road. I guess they only use unmarked freight trucks.

Another thing that is concerning is that they have a contract you can download and print out on their site. This is nica and all except I don't think the State of Florida would approve this form since it shws nothing about valuation which is the big thing that has to be clearly explained on the forms. I hope they are not attempting to use this form for interstate moves. :shock:

Since I am no longer in the business I feel like I can bring these things up without it being considered bashing of a competitor.

SinDonor

Postby SinDonor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:00 am

aubie2 wrote:Here is another Sebastian. Looks more legit than the other.
http://www.sebastianmoving.com/

Hmm, yeah, it's a better website. But I can tell you I've used the other Sebastian Moving company and referred them all the time to my customers at Shurgard, and never had any complaints. Once again though, they are a local moving company. They don't usually do many interstate moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:42 pm

As far as I can tell from official sites, Sebastian Moving in Apopka, FL isn't currently licensed to do interstate moves - http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... d=30914792 The report says it has 3 trucks.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”