For small shipments - info about busfreighter.com and collegeboxes.com

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ssfl

For small shipments - info about busfreighter.com and collegeboxes.com

Postby ssfl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:51 pm

For boxes or other small-to-medium items, busfreighter.com sure does offer good rates, at least it looks like it. Does anyone have any experience with their service?

Thanks, Susan

farrah7031

Re: Information about busfreighter.com

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:35 pm

How much are you moving and to/from where?

ssfl

Postby ssfl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:25 pm

It would be about 20 boxes of books and journals, from FL to CA. I haven't been able to find any reviews of busfreighter.com.

Thanks, Susan

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Never heard of busfreighter, but you can book directly with Greyhound.

ssfl

Postby ssfl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 am

It's substantially more expensive to book directly with Greyhound.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am

It appears they're a partner of Greyhound, but I don't think you'll get more information other than that. No one has ever used them that has visited here.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssfl

Postby ssfl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:22 am

I agree--but they still might be legit. Look at consolidators for airlines, especially foreign travel. They're much less expensive than the airlines because you have very limited input into the dates and times of travel. Wonder if busfreighter.com works like that (which would be fine in my case). Calling the company failed to provide illumination, though.

t111racy

Postby t111racy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi there.. I was wondering if you ever used that company.. busfreighter.com? I am moving and in need of moving some things across country.. boxes only.. can you give me info on your experience if you did use this company.. thank you..

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 am

You can simply mail the boxes to yourself.

VIRGILLOY

Postby VIRGILLOY » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 am

To: Susan

Like t111racy, I am wondering if you did use Busfreighter and what you experience was. I too, would like to use them to ship 10 bulky cushions from Indiana to Savannah.

Anybody else out there who can help shed some light on this subject???

Thanks !!!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Whether you have limited input, some input, or no input, if you think a broker is going to be able to get your shipment moved at a rate cheaper than the established bus companies (which they will probably have to use, because I haven't seen any busfreighter buses on the interstates), you need to look at how businesses operate for profit.

What is your version of Greyhound being substantially more expensive? If they are using other modes of transportation (which would make busfreighter a misleading name), then the rates might be less than Greyhound.

If they are using Greyhound, then they must have a contract with the Grey Dog based on volume. Greyhound has established schedules and routes, so they don't have to alter their schedules or prices for package shipping. Also, package shipping is based on space available, because the passengers actually riding have first preference. During the holidays there may be schedule changes with additional coaches added to high traffic routes.

Busfreighter as a broker will be out to make a profit on every shipment they tender, so they will probably mark up any rate they get from any bus service they use, and their profit will be in the markup. Once they tell you which company they are using, check with the company and find out what their regular rate is, and see if the markup is out of line. It is not uncommon for some brokers to markup the rates up to 30%+
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sincitylisa

Postby sincitylisa » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I recently used busfreighter.com to ship personal items from Las Vegas, NV to Panama City, FL. They did a great job! It was fast and very inexpensive compared to every other option I considered. It cost me about $300 to ship 8 big boxes and I actually could have done it for a little over $200 but I way overestimated the total weight (my fault, I was still happy with the price though). I shipped everything out at the bus station in Vegas on Friday and it arrived at the station in Panama City the following Tuesday. I did not ship anything fragile, no glass at all, just clothes, books, personal items knowing the boxes would probably be loaded and unloaded off of four or five different buses. I also taped the heck out of them! One box, the heaviest was a little beat up but everything arrived in good shape. I would recommend this company based on my recent experience as long as you are careful of how you pack and what you ship. Don't think fragile stuff would have made it in good shape.

kghoward11

Postby kghoward11 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Hello, I recently used this company to ship 12 large boxes from NH to NV. The entire process was a nightmare! From the drop off to the final pick up (which I had to do myself, even though I paid for delivery to my "door") was stressful, confusing, and frustrating. My boxes arrived 8 days past the targeted delivery date, they were beat up, opened, and left unsecured in a convenience store in Henderson NV, which also doubles as a Greyhound bus station!? Anyway, this company has very poor systems for communication, the bus station attendants on both ends had no idea what to do with the boxes...I ended up loading them on the bus myself and loading them into my car myself. It was horrible! On a positive note, for a second shipment, I did some research, utilizing a website called uship.com and found a company called collegeboxes.com. They work with Fedex and although there were a few small issues (I shipped 20 boxes this time and the final 3 took a few extra days to get to me) overall it was an incredibly positive and stress free process. Their communication and tracking was great. Hope this helps!

John Adams

Re: For small shipments - info about busfreighter.com and collegeboxes.com

Postby John Adams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Does anybody have any input on PAKMAIL?
Do your homework then trust your instincts

Return to “Open Community”