Poor Experience with 'Moving Man'

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
blueenigma

Poor Experience with 'Moving Man'

Postby blueenigma » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 am

Vladimir from Moving Man
(465 West 150th Street New York, NY 10031)

On November 10, 2008, Vladimir came to my home to perform an in-house estimate. It proved to be one of the more unpleasant experiences of recent memory. Firstly, Vladimir tried to convince me that a three-man crew would be more efficient than a two-man crew for my sparsely furnished apartment. He attempted to justify his position by citing the cubic feet of my furnishings, which I found questionable. Cubic feet measurements are nebulous at best, and cannot be verified. As such, this type of measurement is virtually extinct in the moving industry, and certainly is not used by reputable movers. My suspicion is that because the move is a short distance (a matter of blocks), and my apartment sparsely furnished, Vladimir was trying to pad the bill by tacking on extra movers; he knew Moving Man would not make much in terms of travel time or loading. Vladimir then tried another angle, which was both tactless and offensive. He said because my community and its' people are "dangerous", a three-man crew would serve a safety function. I was appalled by this statement, which is a decidedly stereotyped response. It demonstrates a dearth of knowledge about my community and its culture, and calls into question Vladimir’s ability to work in multicultural communities. I have lived in my community for many years and know first-hand that it is an eclectic make up of honest, hard-working people, including professionals, blue collar workers, laborers, and students. Perhaps Vladimir thinks that communities comprised predominately of ethnic minorities constitute a “dangerous” community. Whatever his underlying beliefs, his circumscribed viewpoint left a poor impression, and was the deciding factor in me going with another company. I would suggest that Moving Man hire estimators with broader world views, and actual knowledge of the communities they serve.

blueenigma

Re: Poor Experience with 'Moving Man'

Postby blueenigma » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:02 am

I forgot to mention that Vladimir was quite evasive when I asked about truck size. I specifically requested that a 28 foot truck be sent so that everything could be hauled in one trip. He waved a dismissive hand at me and said that any truck will do! It was as if my request was an annoyance. Why should I risk Moving Man sending a 16 foot truck and then telling me that two trips, instead of one, are needed? Again, I got the distinct feeling that Vladimir was attempting to pad the bill. He also tacked on 10 rolls of tape, which I distinctly told him I did not need (I already have 12 rolls purchased from U Haul), and several boxes that I clearly stated I did not need (I purchased a bundle from U haul already). He simply had a one-way conversation and treated me like an annoying flea.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:21 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm

While I understand that Vladimir's interpersonal skills were not up to making you feel better about your move, it seems like you were suspicious from the getgo. Have you had a previous bad move experience that may have colored your judgement? Everything you described sounds like a typical NY move. If you had a sparsely furnished apartment, then indeed any truck would have done. Rick explained the three man crew thing. Pooh to Vladimir for putting down your community in that way, but perhaps he's had negative experiences in his line of work leading to the same suspicious nature.

How did the move itself go? Did they complete it in the time estimated? Any damage?

You might consider talking to the manager of Moving Man, nicely, about getting a refund for the tape rolls, since you'd had your own already. I don't know if they'll give it, but you could ask.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:26 pm

MM, the poster went with a different company
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:30 pm

I just saw that second to last sentence now.

Blue, who did you use, and were they able to assuage your fears adequately?

Return to “Open Community”